Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

mosquito fogging: coming soon to a park near you

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion mosquito fogging: coming soon to a park near you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Not sure. I have noticed less bats this year than in years past. It used to be that we’d go for a walk in the park near us and bats would be swooping left and right, I wonder if their numbers are down this year?

Twixlen
    Participant

Porky said:
    Not sure. I have noticed less bats this year than in years past. It used to be that we’d go for a walk in the park near us and bats would be swooping left and right, I wonder if their numbers are down this year?

I wonder if the white nose thing has come around locally? I remember reading/hearing that was devastating populations elsewhere…

Polis
    Participant

Bats won’t do too much for controlling mosquitoes unless the population of mosquitoes is extremely low and already on the decline. One major issue is that bats feed at night/dusk and many mosquito species are active during the day. Additionally, bats will eat whatever insect that crosses their path. Mosquitoes will simply out-breed any loss due to bats, birds or other animal control.

Fogging works if it hits the majority of the population, but mosquitoes breeding in gutters might not be effected.

Removal of habitat is key. Animal control methods could be an aid to population control but that’s about it.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Horrible in my back yard for the last few weeks. I put those mosquito dunks in our rain barrel but I still saw larva growing in there so I had to dump it.

I would welcome a nice fogging.

ricospaz
    Participant

Mosquitoes are bad in Grandview. Little black suckers, nimble and quick. the bite seems to be worse than the standard, larger mosquito

hivner1

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this question: how much does our high concentration of West Nile have to do with being sandwiched between two low-head damns?

Received this message from someone on the Clinton-Como neighborhood facebook feed.

Clintonville: Clinton-Como Park Neighborhood
    West Nile Update from Columbus Public Health:

I would like to provide you with an update on the West Nile Virus situation in our city. Columbus’ infection rate at the end of July in Culex species was minimally 1 in 80 to 1 in 240, and likely much higher than that, yet still increasing by mid-August. Increased outreach and larviciding, along with status quo adulticiding has not yet stemmed the increase. Using a 1 in 100 infection rate as being high, coupled with the disease transmission into the human population – we now have two human cases in the city – the Columbus Health Commissioner believes it prudent to repeat and/or increase spraying in areas of greatest prevalence and persistence. Those areas of greater prevalence and persistence, e.g. between 10 and 50 positives for WNV, unfortunately contain the greatest percentage of the no-spray requests. Therefore, in an effort to further increase the protection of public health and prevent disease as provided in Ohio Revised Code 3709.22, Columbus Public Health is widening our truck mounted spray activities in areas with high numbers of infected mosquitoes and/or persistence of disease beginning Monday August 27, 2012 through the end of the current mosquito season. As such, Columbus Public Health will not be able to honor various no-spray requests and/or bee-keeping locations in such areas as of that date.

I have attached in pdf format the “mail merge” letter from the Columbus Health Commissioner, Dr. Teresa Long to folks on our No Spray list which was mailed out this afternoon. Additionally, I want to inform you in the widening media coverage of the West Nile Virus situation, local media have requested through the Freedom of Information Act a copy of the No Spray list, complete with resident’s names and addresses. Columbus Public Health has complied with that request as required by Ohio law.

Keith L. Krinn, RS, MA, DAAS, CPHA
    Environmental Health Administrator

bob.os
    Participant

hivner1 said:

Received this message from someone on the Clinton-Como neighborhood facebook feed.

………Additionally, I want to inform you in the widening media coverage of the West Nile Virus situation, local media have requested through the Freedom of Information Act a copy of the No Spray list, complete with resident’s names and addresses. Columbus Public Health has complied with that request as required by Ohio law……/quote]

This could get interesting.

bob.os
    Participant

Recent info from the Health Department. Note that no-spray requests are no longer being honored.

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:30:09 -0400

Subject: Clintonville Spray Schedule – Week of August 27-31

Dear Clintonville Area Commissioners:

Today Columbus Public Health received more West Nile Virus positive results from the Ohio Department of Health Laboratory. Lab results confirmed five new locations of West Nile Virus within Columbus this week bringing our total locations testing positive this season to 94, which includes Worthington. Below is the link for the spray schedule for the week of August 27th. Spray maps are now live on the website and all trapping data is up to date.

Here is the link to the map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=y9hDSoftF5eqtgeBlqGnAQ&msa=0&msid=115581560833322729686.00044f8d4490543d085a3&ll=39.955017,-82.926178&spn=0.370021,0.582275&z=11

Here is the link to the Trapping data:
    http://publichealth.columbus.gov/health_environmental_health.aspx?id=19492

For the Clintonville Area, the following location will be treated:
    Friday August 31, 2012:
    Old Beechwold Area: (Fenway Rd., Lincoln Ave., East Boundary- Indianola Ave., South Boundary- Chatham Rd., West Boundary- 315)

As a reminder, in the interest of public health Columbus Public Health will not honor various no-spray requests for the duration of this West Nile Virus season, beginning next week with the adulticiding beginning Monday, August 27th. As stated above, Friday, August 31st will be the first event in Clintonville in which the requests will not be honored. Also, as cooler morning temperatures may be encountered later in the season – which makes the Zenivex pesticide less effective – a decision may be made to switch to early evening to dusk treatments. Columbus Public Health will endeavor to give ample notice should the need arise for evening treatments.
    Regards,

Keith L. Krinn, RS, MA, DAAS, CPHA
    Environmental Health Administrator

240 Parsons Avenue
    Columbus, Ohio 43215-5331
    (614) 645-6181
    (614) 645-7155 (Fax)
    [email protected]
    http://www.publichealth.columbus.gov
    Protecting Health, Improving Lives
    Facebook / Twitter / YouTube
    “This e-mail is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain privileged, sensitive, or protected health information. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that the unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender via telephone or return e-mail and immediately delete this e-mail.”

Timeone

This spray truck came squealing through my alley at 3am and we had our windows open and I have felt awful all day. Anyone else have this experience (German Village)

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: