Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

mosquito fogging: coming soon to a park near you

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion mosquito fogging: coming soon to a park near you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote

I cycle in the ‘early morning’ and pass through places like Antrim Park.

It looks like various neighborhoods along the Olentangy Bike Path from about Hudson north to I-270 will be getting doused in the early morning hours next week. Check the health department‘s fancy google map for details.

moo!

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Mister MooCow wrote

Andrew Hall wrote

I cycle in the ‘early morning’ and pass through places like Antrim Park.

It looks like various neighborhoods along the Olentangy Bike Path from about Hudson north to I-270 will be getting doused in the early morning hours next week. Check the health department‘s fancy google map for details.

Next week, they’re moving south along the bike trail in the campus/downtown areas. Beware that folks biking/jogging along the trail in Clintonville during morning hours (e.g., 6:30am) have gotten doused.

I satisfy all my ungulate needs at Kuds-R-Us!

Mister MooCow
    Participant

After several fogging incidents (opt-out houses and walkers/bikers/joggers being doused with malathion) several of us have decided to ask for a meeting with Dr. Teresa Long, the Columbus Health Commissioner (the health commissioner is in charge of the Public Health Department, the organization responsible for the fogging).

We’re working through Steve Soble, the city liaison officer for Clintonville, to schedule the meeting–we won’t know a time/place for at least another week (after having been out of town this week, Dr. Long is going to be busy for a few days with the budget cutting). If you’d like to attend the meeting (or would just like to keep up on the issue), please visit http://nospraycolumbus.com/ and follow the link to be added to the mailing list (you can also just send a message to [email protected]).

These hooves are made for dancin’, and that’s just what they’ll do; one of these days these hooves are gonna dance all over moo!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rockmastermike
    Participant

after spending the week working overnight bat surveys in the woods near stagnant ponds, streams, and abandoned farm buildings with lots of standing water (perfect breeding grounds for mosquitos) I can honestly say: LEAVE THE SKEETERS ALONE… they’re just not THAT bad.

Yes, there are a hell of a lot of them this year compared to last… but, BIG DEAL, they’re always around. We sat out from 6pm to 3am every night in the dark surrounded by bugs. Not a problem with proper precautions. I have maybe 3 bites.

If people are not smart enough to take precautions then a few bites will quickly teach them.

This is clearly the health department trying to LOOK like they are doing something useful. If we had a malaria outbreak I would say this is useful, but we don’t.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote

This is clearly the health department trying to LOOK like they are doing something useful. If we had a malaria outbreak I would say this is useful, but we don’t.

Indeed. For some facts about WNV without hyperbole, check out Cornell’s Environmental Risk Analysis WNV FAQ:

http://environmentalrisk.cornell.edu/WNV/FAQs.php

An old article in Consumer Reports talks about how awful (and useless–because of mosquito resistance) that malathion is: http://web.archive.org/web/20040308064619/http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3c%3ecnt_id=304383

Further, spraying may actually make a WNV infection that much worse–the chemicals being sprayed apparently help the WNV to cross the blood-brain barrier and become deadly (http://www.safe2use.com/ca-ipm/01-07-13.htm).

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Walker wrote http://news.google.com/news?q=west%20nile%20columbus&tab=wn

This reminds me of the “encephalitis scare” around Columbus in the 70’s. I remember hearing news stories of kids (I think there were maybe one or two?) getting encephalitis from mosquito bites. Everybody freaked out. What’s changed since then? Only the novelty of encephalitis. Humans suck pretty bad at risk perception.

Here’s a pretty amazing study by the CDC on two adjacent cities–the one that had a mosquito control program actually had higher rates of WNV infection: http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/13/3/419.htm

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Mister MooCow wrote Humans suck pretty bad at risk perception

ain’t that the truth

I suspect with the current mosquito population around here the average person is more likely to get hit by lightning than get west nile. Those of us who work outside live on DEET to keep the itching down, but WNV is about the last of our worries, right behind stray bullets from hunters and lyme disease.

hivner1

So last night we slept with our window for the first time in months. So pleasant until…the most frightening sound imaginable came blaring down the street at 4:30 this morning! I could barely see outside because of the dense fog coming off the Health Dept truck. Here’s a heads-up for the upcoming fogging schedule. Close your windows!

Wednesday, 8/22: North Linden. North Boundary- Northridge Rd. East Boundary- Joyce Ave. South Boundary- Cordell Ave., Clinton St. West Boundary- I-71

Thursday, 8/23: Hilltop Area. North Boundary- W. Broad St. East Boundary- S. Central Ave. South Boundary- Briggs Rd. West Boundary- Binns Blvd.

Friday, 8/24: German/Merion Village Area. North Boundary- I-70. East Boundary- Lockbourne Rd. South Boundary- Reeb Ave. West Boundary- Railroad Tracks

Pablo
    Participant

Woke me up too! I was able to close our windows before the fog drifted into our house.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I don’t see out ‘hood listed but I’m still gonna call and see if we can op out.
    I’m concerned about my bees…

jillg
    Participant

The mosquitoes are absolutely terrible at our house and I have no idea why. Any time of day, they’re out there ready to bite. If the kids want to play outside even for a few minutes I have to put bug repellent on them. I feel that they’ve missed out on a good part of the summer because of it.

Twixlen
    Participant

jillg said:
    The mosquitoes are absolutely terrible at our house and I have no idea why. Any time of day, they’re out there ready to bite. If the kids want to play outside even for a few minutes I have to put bug repellent on them. I feel that they’ve missed out on a good part of the summer because of it.

I’ve found gutters to be a major breeding ground. All it takes is a couple neighbors not having their gutters cleaned out well, and that water backs up – even when it hasn’t rained in forever – and you’re toast.

The tires in the alley can be a problem too. Ugh.

I keep water out all the time for the birds, but I change it every other day – every day when it’s really hot.

The mosquitoes have been wicked in general… I still wish they wouldn’t spray. :/

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

They are bad at our house too. They don’t tend to bite me too often, but my wife gets chewed up the second she steps outside. I have sprayed insecticide around the yard, and put the little mosquito biscuits in my yard drains, but nothing seems to work. I need a couple bat houses apparently.

jillg
    Participant

What time of year should bat houses go up?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: