Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

mosquito fogging: coming soon to a park near you

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion mosquito fogging: coming soon to a park near you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Mister MooCow
    Participant

The Columbus Public Health website indicates that mosquito fogging will begin next week in various parks, along several bike paths, and in a few neighborhoods. Remember to keep your companion animals indoors and from eating/drinking contaminated items when your local haunts are fogged.

They’ve nicely plotted their attacks and timetable on google maps.

The time is defined as ‘early morning.’ Does anyone know something more precise?

I cycle in the ‘early morning’ and pass through places like Antrim Park.

A.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote The time is defined as ‘early morning.’ Does anyone know something more precise?

According to the letter I received from CPH in response to my request to have my home exempted from dousing:

“…to further minimize citizen exposure to insecticide, all residential truck mounted ULV fogging will occur between 4:00 am and sunrise on weekdays.”

I’m not sure if bike trails are “residential”, though; I’d call/email Aaron Messer (the “Public Health Veterinarian/Registered Sanitarian” who signed the letter I received and who invited further questions) to find out: [email protected], +1 614 645 6748.

moo!

Interesting how they seem to have all of the OSU campus marked for fogging. Do they consider college kids on the same level as mosquitoes? I’ll leave it up to some of the OSU professors on the boards to comment on that assessment. :twisted:

Bear
    Participant

briggszj wrote Interesting how they seem to have all of the OSU campus marked for fogging. Do they consider college kids on the same level as mosquitoes? I’ll leave it up to some of the OSU professors on the boards to comment on that assessment. :twisted:

College students are demonstrably more resistant to toxins. Especially the kind that come in kegs.

Daz
    Participant

I’m wondering how I can get them to stop by my back yard. Ugh. Swarms of the little blood sucking bastards.

Matthew
    Participant

Thank God for this fogging. We routinely play frisbee in the park until late, and the skeeters are awful this year. Last week they were so bad two of us were bleeding in spots.

CaD

Mister MooCow wrote

According to the letter I received from CPH in response to my request to have my home exempted from dousing

so you are pro-mosquitos?

joev
    Participant

Daz wrote I’m wondering how I can get them to stop by my back yard. Ugh. Swarms of the little blood sucking bastards.

Seriously – If my wife and I don’t have West Nile by now, people have got to TRY HARD to get it.

Daz
    Participant

joev wrote

Daz wrote I’m wondering how I can get them to stop by my back yard. Ugh. Swarms of the little blood sucking bastards.

Seriously – If my wife and I don’t have West Nile by now, people have got to TRY HARD to get it.

I’ve been instructed to get like 3-4 bird feeders. I might have to do it. One hour of yard work = 2 days of itching.

I honestly wondered if they hadn’t already treated Schiller Park, because of all the standing water there. I kept smelling an odor there that could only be described as “Raid-like” when walking through the park last week; that nasty, sickly faux-flower smell.

Mercurius
    Participant

They really aren’t that bad

The Columbus Public Health Department will be “fogging” again this year; if you’d rather not be doused (or rather not have your garden and pets doused), you can opt-out by sending your printed name, address, phone number, and your signature to

Columbus Public Health

240 Parsons Ave

Columbus, OH 43215-5331

NB: your request has to be postmarked by June 14, 2008.

You can call 645-2483 (BITE) for more information or visit http://www.publichealth.columb…ms_109.asp

and http://ohio.sierraclub.org/cen…squito.asp

I opted out. I like the animals that eat the mosquitos and west nile is a bit of a joke as long as your not avian. Plus, I might be able to eat the lettuce and tomatos out of my garden.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Mercurius wrote They really aren’t that bad

Indeed, indeed. And if folks would take some common-sense precautions, they’d be even less noticeable.

Mercurius wrote

I opted out. I like the animals that eat the mosquitos and west nile is a bit of a joke as long as your not avian.

That’s the great paradox and why spraying is the “nasal spray” of mosquito control. The spraying actually KILLS many of the more significant predators that naturally control the mosquitos– dragonflies. So, you get some temporary relief from some annoying bites while the population declines a bit, then they come back even stronger than before since the environment is now devoid of dragonflies. Then you have to spray even more, etc. It’s a vicious (and poisonous) cycle.

So, wear long sleeves if you’re going to be out at peak feeding times or grab some neem-based repellent and slather it on.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Mercurius wrote

The Columbus Public Health Department will be “fogging” again this year; if you’d rather not be doused (or rather not have your garden and pets doused), you can opt-out by sending your printed name, address, phone number, and your signature to

Columbus Public Health

240 Parsons Ave

Columbus, OH 43215-5331

NB: your request has to be postmarked by June 14, 2008.

I opted out.

Apparently the June 14th deadline was for written requests. I’ve heard that you can still opt-out by calling 311 (or 645-2489 from your VoIP or non-participating cell phone).

catnfiddle
    Participant

If you keep yourself on a steady ration of gin and tonics, the quinine might be enough to ward off every mosquito in Central Ohio. :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: