Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Morton's downtown closes today

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Morton’s downtown closes today

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

ColDayMan
    Participant

CHEESECAKE FACTORY!!!

Er…

I mean, another Cameron…Mitchell. Oh screw it, I want Creole Kitchen!

ColDayMan
    Participant

Damnit, er…I want a Hoggy’s. Hell, City Barbeque. SOUL FOOD DAMNIT!!!

ScooterMKE

I think the location was decent when they first opened, but as the area and the city developed, it became a hinderance. Columbus now is an entirely different place than what it was 18 years ago. Although 18 years in the same location would be quite the accomplishment for any other restaurant, Morton’s tends to carry that “institution” quality so when it closes, it’s always has more of an impact.

But I have to say, they have chosen some bizarre locations. Their location in Rosemont, IL is in the middle of a an office park in an office building that you would not expect a restaurant to be located. With no other restaurants around, they would completely have to rely on people staying at the Sofitel Hotel two blocks over. And their Schaumberg, IL location is a “blink and you’ll miss it” location that most people pass by as they head to Woodfield Mall. But the weeding out of steakhouses was bound to happen after their explosion in the ’90’s

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Just wait another year or two and we’ll have the Lessner version of a steakhouse filling the void…

JimSweeney
    Participant

did someone say White Castle closed? hunh? morten-whaaa? oh thank god.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Just wait another year or two and we’ll have the Lessner version of a steakhouse filling the void…

I think Jeff Mathes would be more likely to open a Steakhouse than Liz. Hence my beautifully created graphic up above. ;)

The Wayfarer
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I think Jeff Mathes would be more likely to open a Steakhouse than Liz. Hence my beautifully created graphic up above. ;)

For those, such as myself, who are not privy to who Jeff Mathes is, would you care to elaborate? I’m curious? Seeing the graphic earlier, I felt I was terribly out of the loop on something.

patient_zero
    Participant

Mayor Coleman said, “Jeff Mathes is one of downtown’s great pioneers and risk takers. Before Gay Street was reborn, he bought a building as his home and opened within it a great restaurant. He understands that there is a critical balance in creating vibrant urban settings that attract people and energy.”

Walker chose a fitting name for the restaurant plaque. You can read more here:

http://mag.cmhmag.com/style/jeff-mathes/http://mag.cmhmag.com/style/jeff-mathes/

gk

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

country fried steak anyone?

gramarye
    Participant

I’m sad to see Morton’s go, too, but I have no room to talk about them staying because I never ate there … whereas I’ve eaten at Mitchell’s and Hyde Park (both locations).

heresthecasey
    Participant

When I drove by today there were some guys walking around in the old Morton’s space, and it looked like it had been stripped down and readied for a new tenant build-out.

Has anyone heard what’s planned there? Offices? Retail? Another restaurant?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Interesting… I’ve often wondered about that empty spot, but haven’t heard anything yet. It’s kinda hidden-from-view being tucked back inside the building a bit. If it had an amazing patio, that could change that. ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!