Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Morton's downtown closes today

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Morton’s downtown closes today

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Neil Jaye

Walker wrote >>
    I saw that quote, but didn’t interpret it as Columbus not being a “high profile” city. I think what was meant is that the location (The glamorous 280 North High Building) is not a high profile location. Their awning is set back away from the street. They’re tucked inside the back corner of a nondescript office building. Not “high profile” enough.

Good point, Walker. I couldn’t agree more. It was an odd location, hidden almost, but many of the Morton’s I’ve seen are like that, tucked away in the corner of a mall, hotel, etc. Not sure if that was their intention.

dru
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I saw that quote, but didn’t interpret it as Columbus not being a “high profile” city. I think what was meant is that the location (The glamorous 280 North High Building) is not a high profile location. Their awning is set back away from the street. They’re tucked inside the back corner of a nondescript office building. Not “high profile” enough.

i thought this exactly. how many people, locals and tourists alike, defaulted to Hyde Park or Smith & Wollensky because they were right in front of their faces. Morton’s was almost a secret and I am sure several people don’t know it is gone, because they actually never knew it was there.

blammo
    Participant

Neil Jaye wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Good point, Walker. I couldn’t agree more. It was an odd location, hidden almost, but many of the Morton’s I’ve seen are like that, tucked away in the corner of a mall, hotel, etc. Not sure if that was their intention.

Yeah, I never knew that place even existed until the absinthe tasting.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

Neil Jaye wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Yeah, I never knew that place even existed until the absinthe tasting.

And after that, I didn’t know what existed, anywhere.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

gk wrote >>
    If that were the case, I wonder why they chose to leave the city rather than simply find another “high-profile” location downtown.

Because relocating and reopening a restaurant isn’t free.

gk

gk

gk wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

gk wrote >>
    If that were the case, I wonder why they chose to leave the city rather than simply find another “high-profile” location downtown.

Nor is opening newer restaurants in “high-profile” locations free.

blammo
    Participant

gk wrote >>

gk wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

gk wrote >>

well…they didn’t say they were opening a replacement restaurant, they just said they were closing this one.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

I hate to hear this- I had some great times& memorable meals there. I am also not surprised though. A bunch of the wait staff& kitchen guys used to come in quite often& after Hyde Park opened on the cap, the restaurant took a major hit I guess. Many of the staff eventually left to get other jobs bc it was so slow.

JonMyers
    Participant

Mitchels has my favorite steak in the city. They do dry aging of the meat. With the dry aging the meat tastes more like meat. Mortons was number two. Their shtick is wet aging. I really hate seeing them leave, but I’m with Walker – that location was a death sentence and it costs money to open in a new spot.

There are still plenty of options. The Top is great for the experience. The institution in town that I don’t think deserves the reputation it has is Hyde Park.

Whenever I’ve attempted to dine at the Hyde Park in the SN (not eat in the bar area) the experience has been horrible. Meaning the service and food.

Speaking of steaks. One of the best values for steak in the city is The Flat Iron. I highly recommend them.

gk

blammo wrote >>

gk wrote >>

gk wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

gk wrote >>

well…they didn’t say they were opening a replacement restaurant, they just said they were closing this one.

This would seem to debunk that argument.

Restaurant Development

On March 3, 2009, the Company opened a Morton’s steakhouse in Mexico City, Mexico (through a joint venture). The Company has entered into leases to open new Morton’s steakhouses in Miami Beach, FL, which is expected to open in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2009, and in Indian Wells, CA.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If I were a betting man, I’d say that Morton’s will renter the Columbus market within the next 3-4 years with a new location at Grandview Yard. ;)

misskitty
    Participant

I bet if anything crashes in the next few years it will be HydePark.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is it too early to start making guesses at what could potentially fill the old Morton’s space?

gk

Walker wrote >>
    Is it too early to start making guesses at what could potentially fill the old Morton’s space?

Perhaps another Subway. Seriously, I would love to see Jeff Mathes open the new cafe under construction in Bicentennial Park.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION