Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Morton's downtown closes today

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Morton’s downtown closes today

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

At least you didn’t end up at Kahoots.

The Wayfarer
    Participant

Maaaaaan, it was bad enough losing Round Bar. Now another one of my go-to hideouts is gone.

I’m actually pretty sad about this. Service was always fantastic, and I really enjoyed the bar staff. What I’m going to miss most of all is gorging myself on the free filet mignon burgers during happy hour. Probably one of the best kept secrets in Columbus, and I’m only mentioning it now because they’re closed. I always feared too many people would catch on, and them stop doing it, so I’ve always been pretty hush hush on that. There’s still free pizza at High Beck, but that’s a less well kept secret.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

That’s tragic. It’s the only place in town that prepared a better steak than my Husband.

pez
    Participant

Sad, this really is one of those restaurants that says you’ve arrived as a ‘big city’. My best to the employees, places like this, are generally a pretty long term employment for the wait staff and these jobs can be hard to replace.

Was hoping to be the original poster – “Stick a fork in it , Morton’s downtown is done…”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

From here: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2009/08/10/daily28.html?ana=from_rss

A spokeswoman for the Chicago-based restaurant company said it was a difficult decision, but the location, which opened in 1991, was struggling in this economy. She said there are no other closings in the 78-unit chain at this time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The few times we went, I always thought the food and service were pretty stellar.

That being said, the news isn’t too shocking (other than the abruptness). High-end restaurants are hurting across the board, and Morton’s was a pretty pricey place to go eat. They’ve had a lot of new steakhouse competition enter the market since 1991 and while their secluded old-school setup was very appealing to many, I think they were overdue for a renovation after 18 years. I’m sure their lack of a patio has been hurting them since the smoking ban. And with loads of new general restaurant competition in the Arena District and Short North, they really weren’t standing out as much as they should have been.

bustowner
    Participant

I was surprised to hear this. I had never been there, but was acquainted with the GM. I just ran into him a few weeks back, and he said he was getting transferred to the Cincy store. Guess they made that move with an eye towards shutting her down. Columbus location is already off the website.

ZHC

JimL2 wrote >>
    This is wild–do restaurants usually die so suddenly? I guess it’s not like they could hold a “going out of business” sale, but it just took me by surprise.

In my experience yes it’s often pretty quick, a bit different than retail where you usually have to sell off the assets.

I’m sad to say I’ve seen more than few restaurants close so suddenly in the past that employees show up for work one morning and the door is locked…Most have the decency to give customers/employees 1-2 week notice, but some don’t.

placebohigh
    Participant

Quite sad. I went there a couple times with friends and thought the service and food was exceptional. Guess no one wants $50 steaks in a crippling Depression…Always sad to see any business leave downtown especially…

gk

Walker wrote >>
    The few times we went, I always thought the food and service were pretty stellar.
    That being said, the news isn’t too shocking (other than the abruptness). High-end restaurants are hurting across the board, and Morton’s was a pretty pricey place to go eat. They’ve had a lot of new steakhouse competition enter the market since 1991 and while their secluded old-school setup was very appealing to many, I think they were overdue for a renovation after 18 years. I’m sure their lack of a patio has been hurting them since the smoking ban. And with loads of new general restaurant competition in the Arena District and Short North, they really weren’t standing out as much as they should have been.

The company spokesman was quoted in today’s Dispatch as saying: “The main reason for the local closing was that Morton’s newer restaurants ‘are in really high-profile locations’ and that Columbus no longer fit the chain’s plans.” Ouch!

Neil Jaye

Columbus not high-profile? What are they talking about? We have the Buckeyes for Christ sake!!!!

But in all seriousness, it sounds like they are shifting their focus to more touristy destination and larger markets with a larger high-income base. From a business standpoint, I think it’s a wise move. Restaurants with high priced menus are having a hard time relying on the casual diner to justify paying $200 plus for a meal on a daily basis. That is better reserved for event and vacation locations where luxury spending is more justified. Having their focus be on destination markets seems to make sense to me. And let’s face it, while Columbus has a lot to offer I do not think there are too many people in the US and abroad booking vacation plans to the Cbus, without some tie to the city.

Yeah, it really sucks to lose such a marquee restaurant chain and it does not reflect well on the city’s image (In my opinion), but it should not be a complete surprise. Anymore of a surprise to folks when Planet Hollywood pulled out of Columbus years ago – even though we were not the only ones to lose stores in that issue.

turbo ninja
    Participant

I like a good steak but Morton’s was never at the top of my list of options in Columbus. The Top beats its pants off in atmosphere even if Morton’s had superior beef. I also preferred the Clarmont, Mitchell’s and even the strip steak at the long-departed Strada. Never been to Ruth’s Chris or to Hyde Park, but I don’t think the city is wanting for high-end steakhouses.

gk

Neil Jaye wrote >>
    Columbus not high-profile? What are they talking about? We have the Buckeyes for Christ sake!!!!

Unfortunately, I have found in my travels that people identify the Buckeyes with Ohio State University, not Columbus – Ohio that is.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I saw that quote, but didn’t interpret it as Columbus not being a “high profile” city. I think what was meant is that the location (The glamorous 280 North High Building) is not a high profile location. Their awning is set back away from the street. They’re tucked inside the back corner of a nondescript office building. Not “high profile” enough.

gk

Walker wrote >>
    I saw that quote, but didn’t interpret it as Columbus not being a “high profile” city. I think what was meant is that the location (The glamorous 280 North High Building) is not a high profile location. Their awning is set back away from the street. They’re tucked inside the back corner of a nondescript office building. Not “high profile” enough.

If that were the case, I wonder why they chose to leave the city rather than simply find another “high-profile” location downtown. There are plenty of empty storefronts along High Street for lease these days with great visibility. Our own newly-built “times square” on Broad & High comes to mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!