Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Morton's downtown closes today

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Morton’s downtown closes today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

From twitter

RT @614Magazine: BRKING NEWS:sad to say that Morton’s The Steakhouse has announced will be closing its downtown location effective today.

gk

Surprised Morton’s hung on this long. Maybe another Subway will take its place.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Bummer. I heard they had plans to open part of that building and build a patio.

joev
    Participant

Not too many Taft/Noe dinners going on anymore. Sad for the staff!

somertimeoh
    Participant

614MAG’s got all the scoop today.

Neil Jaye

It sucks that they’re gone. It’s a big name restaurant that I felt put Columbus on the big city map. But, you have to admit, we’re not at a shortage of great steakhouses in this town; Mitchell’s, Smith and Wollensky’s, Ruth’s Chris just to name a few are still here (for now) and going pretty strong (I think). If Ruth’s Chris and S&W (two major steakhouse chains with Columbus being the ONLY Ohio locations) bail, I’d be concerned.

JonMyers
    Participant

Sucks. The Scotch & Steak crew will have to have a memorial service.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

This is wild–do restaurants usually die so suddenly? I guess it’s not like they could hold a “going out of business” sale, but it just took me by surprise.

JonMyers
    Participant

I’m assuming the staff here had no idea. It must have been a huge, sudden decision from the top of the organization. I got an email from the marketing manager on Monday about a Scotch tasting there in September. I feel for them. The management there was always exceptional to us.

gk

Did they also close their restaurants in Cleveland and Cincinnati, or just Columbus?

dru
    Participant

it was also purged off Morton’s website really quick.
    http://www.mortons.com/locations.php

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

The staff there was always exceptional. I hope they can all get in somewhere else quick!

greenhouse1014
    Participant

I wondered about this when I saw a guy scraping the Morton’s logo of the window as I was coming down the escalotor. DAMN, I almost had a chance to break the news but was foiled by a meeting. DAMMIT!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

That sucks.
    I loved Morton’s. In my opinion, Ruth Chris and S&W and Mitchell’s just aren’t the same at all. None of them had that same kinda dark, old, speakeasy atmosphere. At least Mitchell’s is downtown, but driving to some mall or to the middle of a polaris parking lot for a cool steakhouse atmosphere just doesn’t get it for me.
    (unless somer’s boss is in town in which case I will S&W my brains right out…) Anywhoo…looks like it’s The Top or bust fer me these days.
    …as if I ever go out for steak dinners anyway.
    Still el sucko for Mortons…had lots of fun nights there.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Thanks, Lew. It’s the only time I allow myself to burb it up as well :) We’ve moved on to getting wasted in boxes at Clippers games. Though they’re kinda mean and kicked everyone out because SOMEONE jumped the rail and started pilfering the booze left behind by the box next door. I’m not going to confirm or deny that I had any part in this, but I will say it was scary enough to make that person jet with pockets full of beers and continue the party outside of Huntington Stadium.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!