Our City Online

Messageboard - Food & Drink Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Morel Hunt at Flying J Farm 4/25

Home Forums Events Food & Drink Events Morel Hunt at Flying J Farm 4/25

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

That video on the Slow Foods website was about the biggest waste of nine minutes ever. So here is the real scoop. There are actually three varieties (maybe more) of morels. The Black, Yellow and Poplar. The black grow predominantly at the base of Ash, Poplar, Sassafras and Elm if there are still any around. They tend to be rather sparse and small, but the most delicious. These are the first to come up, starting about a week ago. They are hard to spot but with each one, the next comes easier.

Following this is the Poplar Morels. As the name implies, these grow at the base of Tulip Poplar usually and usually grow in clumps. These will start appearing about a week after the black and the height of the season is in conjunction with the dogwoods blooming.

The final kind is the yellow. Yellows mostly grow in loamy rich soil (i.e. river banks.) The best place to find yellow morels is actually in old apple orchards. Yellows are the last to come up but can sometimes weigh a pound each!

If you see many oaks and hickory or greenbriers, it probably isn’t a good site for them. Best of luck.

Bear
    Participant

“Poplar morels”?

I’ve heard of black and yellow (or white)… but this one sounds like a red herring. I have a feeling that while everyone else is out looking for poplars, Merc will be cleaning up under the old-growth apple trees….

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

By the way, Merc, Tulip Poplars are really magnolias…:p

Bear
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

Deception!!

I knew it….

Mercurius
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

Same family, different genus. Closely related to the first flowering plants but all the same, not.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I’m saying… that they’re not poplars. :)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    I’m saying… that they’re not poplars. :)

That seems to be an un-poplar view..

:p

BrianG

How did the hunt go? Any fatalities? I really wanted to go, but had a flight to catch.

Bear
    Participant

Let’s just say no mushrooms were harmed. :-/

I’m not totally convinced that there were any out there. Not too many of us showed up at 9 a.m., granted… but still, those woods looked amazingly fungus-free to me.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

It really is a crapshoot, Bear. Last place I expected to find any was my own backyard. ;)

But seriously, I’m convinced that they popped up here because a) the land my house sits on used to be an apple orchard, b) we had half a tree fall in that general area during last fall’s windstorm and c) we poured out the water that we soaked morels in last year around the trees in the yard. That, and the right temperature and moisture levels? Means this:

FWIW, I haven’t found any more since. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed. :) And in case you were wondering – yes, they went to good use…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

SK, I know those are raviolis. And they look so good. But now I want morel pierogis.

Bear
    Participant

swampkitty wrote >>
    Last place I expected to find any was my own backyard.

Hnnnnggnnngnnghhh….

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Food & Drink Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!