Our City Online

Messageboard - Food & Drink Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Morel Hunt at Flying J Farm 4/25

Home Forums Events Food & Drink Events Morel Hunt at Flying J Farm 4/25

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

Slow Food Columbus writes…

Morel Hunt at Flying J Farm

Flying J Farm

5329 Van Fossen Road, Johnstown

Saturday, April 25, 9 a.m.

No cost; members only

morel.png

Slow Food member Dick Jensen of Flying J Farm in Johnstown will be leading a hunt for the elusive morel mushroom on his farm at noon on Saturday, April 25. By special invitation, members of Slow Food can arrive early and try their luck at tracking down the famously furtive fungus.

Bring a mesh bag (to redistribute the spores), and be prepared to donate half of your yield to Dick as a courtesy. Those who wish to do so may bring a dish and stay at the farm for a mushroom-themed potluck beginning at 4 p.m.; details can be found under the Events tab on the Flying J website.

And novices, take note: Nothing is as unworthy of your trust as a foodie in a forest full of morels. Don’t reveal your spots… and watch your back. You’ve been warned.

Mercurius
    Participant

They are up. Found about ten Easter Weekend:
    Ramps and Morels, Spring is Good

Look under Ash, Tulip Popular and old apple trees. I think this is going to be a tad late. Should be the strongest after our current rain here.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I just came back from a long afternoon drive in that area.. they’re getting *plenty* of rain right now..

AnneD

Sweet! I will be there, though I seem to be slightly morel-blind. So you can let me tag along with you with no worries, honest…

Bear
    Participant

AnneD wrote >>
    Sweet! I will be there, though I seem to be slightly morel-blind. So you can let me tag along with you with no worries, honest…

Don’t get me wrong, Anne — I adore you, but if you bogart my morels I will knife you and leave your body in the woods.

Look forward to seeing you there!!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, Anne — I adore you, but if you bogart my morels I will knife you and leave your body in the woods.

….huh…

Well, at any rate, this sounds so fun. Good luck, hunters!

Bear
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

….huh…

;-)

Just sayin’. Morel hunting does bring out the worst in people (though I promise I won’t actually be armed — well, aside from the walking stick I’ll probably carry). But I have known of people who have refused to tell their children about the location of prized morel patches. Even heard claims that said locations were left to one child in the will and not another….

Mercurius
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>

….huh…

;-)
    Just sayin’. Morel hunting does bring out the worst in people (though I promise I won’t actually be armed — well, aside from the walking stick I’ll probably carry). But I have known of people who have refused to tell their children about the location of prized morel patches. Even heard claims that said locations were left to one child in the will and not another….

They have confirmed finding them in years past? Do they have any old apple trees, cause I claim those.

Bear
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    They have confirmed finding them in years past?

Believe so.

Mercurius wrote >>
    Do they have any old apple trees, cause I claim those.

See, Manatee? I’m tellin’ ya….

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

It’s all right, Bear, I know you’re still a “fun guy”.

Sorry, I had to do it.

th0m
    Participant

more more morel puns!!! some may say it is too crowded in here for puns, but i think there’s plenty of shroom.

joev
    Participant

It sound like when it comes to morel hunting, all morals go out the window.

I also love puns.

drew
    Participant

People who don’t like puns are bad spores.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Speaking of Morels and Morals: There was a legal case in England about someone who was accused of picking too many mushrooms….Mushroom hunter

and a groan worthy headline Mushroom cloud over fungus forays

AnneD

Bear wrote >>

You could try! I may be one-armed, but I still have mad ninja skills.

I am actually not kidding about being morel blind. The one time I went hunting I found exactly none. The other morel lover with me found none. The third person, who had neither seen nor tasted a morel, found the motherload.

And I’m not kidding about the ninja thing either. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Food & Drink Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!