Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

More Regulations for Ohio Wine Producers

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion More Regulations for Ohio Wine Producers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    The tone of her email just got under my skin …
    But the Dept. of Ag. claims they’ve already been inspecting wineries without incident, they’re just expanding that. So to me it sounds like a whole lot of nothing, people complaining rather than talking to each other, complaining that a $50-$300 inspection fee and being forced to wash grapes (which may or may not be the case) will ruin their business.

I agree that the tone of the e-mail wasn’t the best, and also that $300/yr, assuming this is an annual thing, isn’t massive in the grand scheme of things. The part of the e-mail that was actually the most interesting to me, and on which I might feel more sympathetic to KR than the inspection issue, was the denial of the auxiliary tasting room permit for the Scenic Byway location in Ripley. That represents potentially more than $300 in lost revenue for the business as well as more than $300 in lost investment for Ripley.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Considering there is no demonstrated safety risk in Cali (or anywhere) which is being controlled by these regulations, how do you feel about regulations forbidding UFO landings in the vineyards? Such regulations have actual historical precedent and have proven highly successful in proactively solving the problem.

Absolutely for it. I am 100% in favor of proactive solutions rather than waiting for someone to get sick because a UFO irradiated some wine.

(radiation poisoning is an illness that can be transmitted through wine, KSquared)
    (also if there’s a bunch of nails and shredded glass in your wine that’s probably not going to be great for you either I’d like someone to check for that)
    (although actually I guess red wine decreases the toxicity of radiation so maybe that would cancel it out)

Andrew Hall

gramarye wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>
    But the Dept. of Ag. claims they’ve already been inspecting wineries without incident, they’re just expanding that. So to me it sounds like a whole lot of nothing, people complaining rather than talking to each other, complaining that a $50-$300 inspection fee and being forced to wash grapes (which may or may not be the case) will ruin their business.

I agree that the tone of the e-mail wasn’t the best, and also that $300/yr, assuming this is an annual thing, isn’t massive in the grand scheme of things. The part of the e-mail that was actually the most interesting to me, and on which I might feel more sympathetic to KR than the inspection issue, was the denial of the auxiliary tasting room permit for the Scenic Byway location in Ripley. That represents potentially more than $300 in lost revenue for the business as well as more than $300 in lost investment for Ripley.

In general, people are tired of being nickel-and-dimed (so to speak) with no end in sight. While no one thing is massive, the accumulation of them is. It is also the principle which I believe goes back to tea.

The Ohio code with regards to wineries and tasting rooms is a mess. One can buy tanker trucks full of wine from California, slap a label on the bottles and open a “winery” tasting room. One can’t have a tasting room from one’s own-grown-and-produced wines that is separate from the production facilities.

A.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    The Ohio code with regards to wineries and tasting rooms is a mess.

What are your thoughts on why the regs are that way? What would it take to fix it? Are the wineries just not representing themselves effectively, or is it such a small industry (relatively) that it’s hardly thought about?

I am genuinely interested in this, I’m not setting you up for Socratic boxing.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

What are your thoughts on why the regs are that way? What would it take to fix it? Are the wineries just not representing themselves effectively, or is it such a small industry (relatively) that it’s hardly thought about?

chaptal
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>

In general, people are tired of being nickel-and-dimed (so to speak) with no end in sight. While no one thing is massive, the accumulation of them is. It is also the principle which I believe goes back to tea.
    The Ohio code with regards to wineries and tasting rooms is a mess. One can buy tanker trucks full of wine from California, slap a label on the bottles and open a “winery” tasting room. One can’t have a tasting room from one’s own-grown-and-produced wines that is separate from the production facilities.
    A.

+1

Ohio’s liquor controls are an astonishing boondoggle of nonsense. It’s ridiculous how the state treats its own wine producers and allows anyone else access to operating a winery from wine made from tank car juice.

Pre-washed grapes before fermentation is an insult to winemakers who insist on quality product from their estate grown wines.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Oh good, Walker installed the mod that forces me to double-post, circumventing the mod that prevents me from double-posting.

ANDREW HALL I AM SO INTERESTED IN THIS THAT I CAN’T WAIT MORE THAN 20 SECONDS FOR A RESPONSE

WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSE

ANDREW

Andrew Hall

JimL2 wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

It is a long story and will have to await a fuller answer. There are reasonable interests which are the genesis of the code, but that code has also not kept up with a rapidly growing industry that the State has chosen to promote. There are tensions between different parts of the State as well.

A.

jackoh
    Participant

I wonder how much of this is driven by a public health concern and how much of it is a liquor control issue?

Bear
    Participant

It sounds, frankly, more like a combination of unwise policy (excessive and pointless fees/regulations that discourage businesses without any clear upside) and a bureaucratic mistake (classing wine grapes with table grapes in food-safety regs). That’s my guess, not knowing more about it.

I’d hope the latter could be cleared up with a quick bill sponsored by the relevant state representative(s). The former could be harder to resolve. Kinkead Ridge is by most metrics the top winemaker in the state; if Ohio is willing to annoy them enough to get them to relocate for such minor stakes, it really makes me question their commitment to quality Ohio wines.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    It sounds, frankly, more like a combination of unwise policy (excessive and pointless fees/regulations that discourage businesses without any clear upside) and a bureaucratic mistake (classing wine grapes with table grapes in food-safety regs). That’s my guess, not knowing more about it.

Same here. I don’t drink wine or anything else alcoholic, but seems like more effective regulations would be a good thing here.

jackoh
    Participant

Could someone point out to me the downside if the Department of Liquor Control were to be abolished and the liquor enforcement division of the Department of Public Safety were to follow suit?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

So the ODA sees it necessary to regulate small wine business but ‘cant do much’ about large CAFOs and their ‘totally not a health hazard’ manure problems? Nice

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    So the ODA sees it necessary to regulate small wine business but ‘cant do much’ about large CAFOs and their ‘totally not a health hazard’ manure problems? Nice

What we need to do is start making delicious, delicious manure wine, that oughtta get their attention

Andrew Hall

Google ‘cow horn manure wine.’

A.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE