Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 193 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

joev said:
    There is literally nothing you could say or do or promise that would make me vote for this awful levy. It’s obvious that the system is broken.

I think lean times are going to help find solutions a lot more than pouring more (a 25% increase in property taxes!) into keeping everyone comfortable.

I’ve been thinking more about this levy. There are three things that the mayor and council need to do to change my vote.

They talk a lot about the charters getting funding being “high performing.” If they really think this is a good path, I can support them if they truly put a stake in the ground by completely shutting down the rest of the charter schools in the city. In a way that does not allow them to reopen under a new name.

They must also force high performing charters to meet the exact same standards as public schools. No special handouts for busing. No relaxation of teacher qualifications. They must be measured by the same yardstick.

Third, they must only give public funds to non-profit charter schools.

If they can do these things, I will change my position.

News
    Participant

[b]Mayor Michael Coleman urges Ohio State student support for Columbus city schools[/b]
    October 2, 2013
    Daniel Bendtsen

[i]Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman addressed the Undergraduate Student Government Tuesday night in an effort to gain support for two city school funding measures up for approval on the general ballot in November.
    [/i]
    [i]Coleman said the proposals are a “revolution” of the city schools and urged OSU students to get involved, stressing that college is an important precursor for civic life.
    [/i]

READ MORE: http://thelantern.com/2013/10/mayor-michael-coleman-urges-ohio-state-student-support-columbus-city-schools/

NDaEast
    Participant

[url=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=392865697508203&set=pb.384366718358101.-2207520000.1380904140.&type=3&theater]Vote “No” on Issues 50 & 51 Yard Signs[/url] have arrived. They will be distributed Saturday at two business locations in Olde Towne East:

1) Our Style Boutique (men’s and women’s clothing), at 1112 E. Main Street, open 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM.

2) B&K’s Smoke House (smoked ribs, chicken, brisket, etc.), at 1114 E. Main Street, open 11:00 AM – Until!

Support small businesses that support you — come by and get a sign, a suit, and a sandwich!

Stay in touch with us at [url=https://www.facebook.com/NoCheatersNoChartersColumbus]No Cheaters, No Charters Columbus Facebook page.[/url]

NDaEast
    Participant

Columbus City Schools is all set to go to court on Monday, to defend the private meetings it has been holding about the data scandal. To date, the Board has encumbered $1,000,000 for legal costs associated with the data scrubbing, instead of acknowledging and fixing.

This is a board that doesn’t understand public accountability: instead of acknowledging problems, this board has hidden behind lawyers, secret meetings, and denial. The official board position — despite Auditor of State and its own Internal Auditor Report to the contrary — remains that the data scrubbing did not violate law or regulation.

This Board violated every precept of crisis management, and in so doing, has earned the public’s disdain. It is so discredited, that the Board of Education — the only entity allowed to place a school levy — can not make the levy ask itself. It hides behind local celebrities (some, like Urban Meyer who have no business poking their heads in) and children as it tries to get even more out of our pockets.

The Mayor should be commended for his interest in the school. His involvement should have extended to demanding school board changes in exchange for his support for a levy. Then he should not have over-reached with a 24% school tax hike for a discredited and nonperforming school system.

Everybody wants kids to have arts, sports, and enrichment, and this community would have supported a status quo “do no harm” levy while all the fraud was being investigated and people held accountable. Instead, the Mayor and business community rolled the dice on a huge tax increase before anybody had to be accountable. That was a mistake.

If this levy fails, as it should, they should come back humbled in the spring for a continuing operations levy — take away the expensive bells and whistles — and with real reform of the board and administration. It is the height of political arrogance to put together a million dollar public relations campaign to try to get taxpayers to dump more money into a failing and corrupt system.

The fact that one side of this debate is well-funded and can run an expensive multi-media campaign, and the other side of this debate can not, is telling about how power and money drive results in Columbus. We have lost our democracy — daily 4-color glossy fliers and 30 second radio and tv ads have taken the place of public discourse, and that is a shame.

Vote No on Issues 50 and 51.

howatzer
    Participant

^ +10000

howatzer
    Participant

NDaEast said:
    [url=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=392865697508203&set=pb.384366718358101.-2207520000.1380904140.&type=3&theater]Vote “No” on Issues 50 & 51 Yard Signs[/url] have arrived. They will be distributed Saturday at two business locations in Olde Towne East:

1) Our Style Boutique (men’s and women’s clothing), at 1112 E. Main Street, open 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM.

2) B&K’s Smoke House (smoked ribs, chicken, brisket, etc.), at 1114 E. Main Street, open 11:00 AM – Until!

Support small businesses that support you — come by and get a sign, a suit, and a sandwich!

Stay in touch with us at [url=https://www.facebook.com/NoCheatersNoChartersColumbus]No Cheaters, No Charters Columbus Facebook page.[/url]

will these be available anywhere in the short north area?

gramarye
    Participant

NDaEast said:
    The fact that one side of this debate is well-funded and can run an expensive multi-media campaign, and the other side of this debate can not, is telling about how power and money drive results in Columbus. We have lost our democracy — daily 4-color glossy fliers and 30 second radio and tv ads have taken the place of public discourse, and that is a shame.

Will you still be saying this even if the levy fails?

NDaEast
    Participant

howatzer said:
    will these be available anywhere in the short north area?

Right now we just have these points in Olde Towne. If anybody/business in the Short North would like to distribute, please reply on this forum, or go to http://www.NoCheatersNoChartersColumbus.org, and provide your contact information. Thanks.

NDaEast
    Participant

James Ragland said:
    I have met with Dr. Good a few times, and I believe in what he is trying to do. I also feel that HE and the children should be the face of the campaign moving forward.

At the end of the day, Dr. Good is a hired hand. The Superintendent can not place a levy on the ballot, only the Board of Elections can do that. Thus, it is our elected Board of Education that should have the integrity that voters trust — not Dr. Good. Unfortunately, this Board has squandered all good-will through its incompetent handling of data scrubbing and its circling of the wagons, rather than opening up to the public that funds it. Irrespective of how much we may like Dr. Good, this Board does not deserve a 24% raise after demonstrating so clearly so much ineptitude.

That said, it is up to us as citizens, to take our stake in our democracy seriously and to vote out those members who are not serving the public interest. Michael Wiles is the only incumbent school board members that I will be voting for — I hope he gets some help and other rational challengers gain seats on the Board.

News
    Participant

[b]Clintonville plays host to forum on school issues[/b]
    By KEVIN PARKS
    ThisWeek Community News
    Saturday September 28, 2013 6:44 PM

[i]Columbus City Schools’ Issues 50 and 51 will be the focus of a voter forum Oct. 14 in Clintonville. Sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Metropolitan Columbus and the Council for Public Deliberation, the Monday-evening issues forum will take place at the Whetstone branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library, 3909 N. High St.[/i]

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2013/09/23/clintonville-plays-host-to-forum-on-school-issues.html

News
    Participant

[b]Columbus Realtors endorses property tax increase for schools[/b]
    Sep 30, 2013, 2:05pm EDT UPDATED: Sep 30, 2013, 2:39pm EDT
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Business First

[i]The Columbus Realtors’ board of directors has endorsed the 9.01-mill Columbus City Schools levy. “An up-and-coming tech city, our research and technology institutions are attracting the brightest minds from around the world. We want our own children to be among them,” Columbus Realtors’ President Chris Pedon and CEO Stan Collins wrote in a letter than went out to the region’s agents.
    [/i]
    READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/09/30/columbus-realtors-endorses-property.html

NDaEast
    Participant

gramarye said:
    Will you still be saying this even if the levy fails?

Yes. I’ve been screaming this for the past couple years: we have a system now that is grossly distorted to favor the powerful, not the people. We will have presided over the creation of a meaningless democracy if we don’t change. What are the signs? …

It is evidenced by the machine of council appointments over the last 28 years (all but 3 appointed rather than elected); the At Large council election format which is truly bizarre among large cities (high barrier to entry is an economic market failure … in this case the most expensive election format helps drive out competition); the lack of primaries for the past 8 years indicates no Democrats believe they can challenge Democratic incumbents; the inordinate campaign contribution discrepancies (including the fact that the council president has contributed 2x-3x more to incumbent campaigns than the incumbents raise themselves; the fact that one side in this levy campaign can spend $1M on a school tax hike campaign without ever having to mention the words “tax hike” in its glossy ads with celebrity endorsers and the low visibility of a counterbalancing point of view; the refusal of city leaders to allow public access television so alternative viewpoints have a mass media presence; the Nationwide Arena bailout by city council after 5 public votes against sports facility funding … all these things evidence serious defects in our democracy.

So what to do? First, the Columbus Coalition for Responsive Government is sponsoring the Columbus Fair Campaigns Code — a campaign finance reform ordinance that allows candidates to opt to contribution/spending limits in exchange for access to public benefits such as public debates to be aired on CTV-3 and Channel 21, CTV-3 and Community 21 TV time for all candidates and issues on the ballot, and a small pool of public campaign funding (coming from the same source of money used to fund the Nationwide Arena Bailout). The goal is to make political communication with the public thoughtful and less expensive — not limited to door hangers with pithy quotes and 30 second ads for only those who can afford them. We need healthy political dialogue, not the type of slick sales campaign we are seeing for Issues 50 and 51.

Second, we think a public vote on the arena bailout is appropriate — the public should have decided the issue, not the controlled politicians.

Third, we think the people should have a chance to vote on council districts — the form of governance in place in 48 of 50 of the largest American cities (and Seattle voters have put council districts on the ballot for next month … if it passes, Columbus will be the only backwater city left with At Large council governance). Our specific proposal is for an 11 member council, with 4 at large seats and 7 district seats.

We are seeking petition signatures for all of these efforts to bring balance back to Columbus electoral politics.

gramarye
    Participant

So, in short, if confronted with evidence that “power and money” do not “drive results in Columbus,” you have predetermined that you will ignore that evidence, dismiss it as anomalous, and continue to believe that “power and money drive results in Columbus and that “we have lost our democracy.”

Can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject …

News
    Participant

[b]Columbus Council Of PTAs Declines To Back Levy Campaign[/b]
    October 10, 2013
    by Steve Brown
    89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor

[i]A coalition of Columbus’ PTA clubs reportedly will not endorse the district’s levy campaign. The group voted this week to not take a position on the levy that would mean about $400 in new annual property taxes for the average Columbus home. They’re also not supporting or opposing a proposal to create a new auditor position that would report to a city commission.
    [/i]
    READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/10/10/columbus-council-of-ptas-declines-to-back-levy-campaign/

SusanB
    Participant

[url=http://yourlisten.com/christina.mcmenemy/columbus-mayor-at-columbus-council-of-ptas-meeting-10813]http://yourlisten.com/christina.mcmenemy/columbus-mayor-at-columbus-council-of-ptas-meeting-10813[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.