Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 193 total)
  • Author

I don’t want the board to step down. I get to decide on three of the members in November.

Things that would make me vote for a levy:

1) Have Hero-Auditor Carolyn Smith’s office expanded (instead of eliminated)

2) Get rid of the extra layer of administration its proposing over the school board. The extra “leadership” from people who *aren’t even required to live inside CCS boundaries* is incredibly repugnant.

3) A pledge to fix the city school system, as opposed to creating ANOTHER school system for taxpayers to support.

I hope to see that levy in May.

Miriam Bowers Abbott said:
    I don’t want the board to step down. I get to decide on three of the members in November.

2) Get rid of the extra layer of administration it’s proposing over the school board. The extra “leadership” from people who *aren’t even required to live inside CCS boundaries* is incredibly repugnant.

3) A pledge to fix the city school system, as opposed to creating ANOTHER school system for taxpayers to support.

chaptal
    Participant

2) Get rid of the extra layer of administration its proposing over the school board. The extra “leadership” from people who *aren’t even required to live inside CCS boundaries* is incredibly repugnant.

2, definitely two. Creating more highly paid upper level management while ignoring the front lines, again.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

James Ragland said:
    I’m interested to know how many of you would change your opinion of the levy if the entire current School Board resigned? It seems to me that a lot of the conversation around support for the levy centers on current leadership from the Board and not necessarily the kids.

I have met with Dr. Good a few times, and I believe in what he is trying to do. I also feel that HE and the children should be the face of the campaign moving forward. I am hopeful that he will remain the leader of the district moving forward, but I am interested in knowing if you would change your vote, or at least consider the levy if the current Board moved aside.

I would like to see everyone on the board resign except Mike Wiles. I might actually consider voting for it if that happened, but no way it actually will.

I do like Dr. Good, but he can only do so much by himself. The organization has atrophied to the point where there needs to be a large infusion of fresh faces.

ehill27
    Participant

columbus_info said:
    Mike Coleman is the real source of problems in Columbus. He should be held accountable.

Really? I thought it was Obama’s fault.

Come on man…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbus_info said:
    Mike Coleman is the real source of problems in Columbus. He should be held accountable.

While Coleman’s certainly been active in pushing for varying types of school reform and supporting this tax levy, the Mayor of Columbus doesn’t actually have executive authority over the School Board.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Walker said:
    While Coleman’s certainly been active in pushing for varying types of school reform and supporting this tax levy, the Mayor of Columbus doesn’t actually have executive authority over the School Board.

Let’s not go introducing “facts” into this discussion.

Perhaps it’s all a grand effort to get Columbus to the #1 spot on this list

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-cities-with-the-highest–and-lowest–taxes-182112538.html?page=all

(I will try really hard to post this only once. I see that my urge to edit a bad it’s/its moment earlier resulted in an uncool double post. Horrifying.)

joev
    Participant

James Ragland said:
    I am trying to find a way to garner support for the levy as it is.

There is literally nothing you could say or do or promise that would make me vote for this awful levy. It’s obvious that the system is broken.

I think lean times are going to help find solutions a lot more than pouring more (a 25% increase in property taxes!) into keeping everyone comfortable.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

columbus_info said:
    Columbus schools will always be bad.

History says otherwise. There have been and still are great schools in CCS, the problem is they are a minority. CCS school administrators, school board members and the majority of the school administration will always CYA and the kids will suffer….

I will probably vote for the levy, as I always do, it would be hard for my self image not to, but I will also probably encourage folks to be skeptical of the levy, instead of encouraging folks to vote yes.

Perhaps it’s all a grand effort to get Columbus to the #1 spot on this list

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-cities-with-the-highest–and-lowest–taxes-182112538.html?page=all

On that list it is already 3rd highest taxed in USA. Due to local income tax that most other cities don’t have.

howatzer
    Participant

lazyfish said:
    I will probably vote for the levy, as I always do, it would be hard for my self image not to.

because image over rationality is what makes democracy great.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    How is it possible that Columbus Schools are paying more per student than surrounding schools with much less returns in education, have an administration rife with scandal, and can still look voters in the eye with their hands out? It’s unconscionable.

I don’t disagree. My only point is that a failed levy won’t mean that will be fixed, and that seems to be the implication from some of the posts.

jbcmh81
    Participant

columbus_info said:
    On that list it is already 3rd highest taxed in USA. Due to local income tax that most other cities don’t have.

People focus way too much on tax rates alone. Cost of living is fairly low overall in Columbus and in Ohio in general. I would think the more important thing to focus on regarding taxes is how they’re being spent. Most people supported the income tax increase a few years back, and from what I’ve seen, it’s done a lot of good. The school levy is obviously much different.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: