Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 193 total)
  • Author

chaptal
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I don’t think there has been a single levy that I’ve voted against…. until this one.

I can believe that they’re spending that much on campaigning – they have TV commercials airing fairly often on Food Network.

Right with you. This not not about the student, but preserving the administrator’s positions.

kmg67
    Participant

SusanB said:
    Two young women were going door to door in my neighborhood this week campaigning for the levy. I heard that they (the pro levy group) is spending 1 million dollars to convince us all to pass the levy. Lots of luck.

Can’t wait until they come by my house. I hope I’m in an especially bad mood.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I don’t think there has been a single levy that I’ve voted against…. until this one.

Right there with you, I have to remind myself that this levy isn’t really about the kids even though supporters claim it is.

jbcmh81
    Participant

chaptal said:
    Right with you. This not not about the student, but preserving the administrator’s positions.

Except under what scenario will a failed levy mean cuts to administration? The usual victims are, in fact, the students. I get why the levy is unpopular and very hard to support, but I also don’t get the conclusion that its failure will mean that administration will suddenly change for the better and be fiscally responsible.

Twixlen
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Except under what scenario will a failed levy mean cuts to administration? The usual victims are, in fact, the students. I get why the levy is unpopular and very hard to support, but I also don’t get the conclusion that its failure will mean that administration will suddenly change for the better and be fiscally responsible.

How is it possible that Columbus Schools are paying more per student than surrounding schools with much less returns in education, have an administration rife with scandal, and can still look voters in the eye with their hands out? It’s unconscionable.

Columbus schools will always be bad.

Twixlen
    Participant

columbus_info said:
    Columbus schools will always be bad.

But, they aren’t *all* bad now, so your statement doesn’t work. AND it’s possible for there to be real improvement in a lot of places (though, I’ll admit that much of the issue is the way the state funds schools, the ridiculous funding of charter schools, and to a great extent, everything connected with NCLB).

Analogue Kid
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:

Because while this levy isn’t super critical for the schools right now, a future levy may be. If the levy fails and the administration asks why, they’re going to find many people who don’t trust the current setup and hopefully make some changes. Is it perfect? No, but voting yes really will preserve the status quo.

James Ragland
    Participant

I’m interested to know how many of you would change your opinion of the levy if the entire current School Board resigned? It seems to me that a lot of the conversation around support for the levy centers on current leadership from the Board and not necessarily the kids.

I have met with Dr. Good a few times, and I believe in what he is trying to do. I also feel that HE and the children should be the face of the campaign moving forward. I am hopeful that he will remain the leader of the district moving forward, but I am interested in knowing if you would change your vote, or at least consider the levy if the current Board moved aside.

chaptal
    Participant

It’s more than the board, and the scandals that have surrounded it in recent years. It’s the lack of accountability. Gene Harris’ golden parachute in the wake of the attendance scandal. Then, the day before school was to begin, the lack of bus drivers and the inability of parents to contact transportation to find out what the heck was going on. It’s not one thing, but a series of events that has left parents very frustrated and having little recourse. And now that one thing they have, the vote, is the only way to send a message to the board, and the school district’s administration to wake up and do their jobs.

Twixlen
    Participant

chaptal said:
    It’s more than the board, and the scandals that have surrounded it in recent years. It’s the lack of accountability. Gene Harris’ golden parachute in the wake of the attendance scandal. Then, the day before school was to begin, the lack of bus drivers and the inability of parents to contact transportation to find out what the heck was going on. It’s not one thing, but a series of events that has left parents very frustrated and having little recourse. And now that one thing they have, the vote, is the only way to send a message to the board, and the school district’s administration to wake up and do their jobs.

Someone has their kid in the southend elementary school – first, the website is insanely out of date. The administration at that school are terrible at communicating with parents about expectations, etc. And THEN, when the school was on lockdown a couple weeks ago, the system that was supposed to be in place to keep parents abreast of what was happening (a text or email system) wasn’t working.

One of those things is a failure. All of them is a systematic issue that needs to be addressed — and I’m sure this isn’t the only school with such problems and issues inside the district. I mean, my 71 year old mother could keep the website updated, for crying out loud.

James Ragland
    Participant

Chaptal,

All of those issues you mentioned were voted on by the current board. That’s exactly what I mean. Accountability rests with the Board. You have articulated the concerns of the majority of people who I have talked to who are going to vote no; however I am trying to find a way to garner support for the levy as it is. Most folks I have posed this question to have responded that they would change their vote if the current board left, but almost to a man that have said something along the lines of, “That will never happen.” Some have expressed a complete disregard for charter school, and will not listen to any conversation about them. I may not agree with that, but I respect their right to do so while I try to educate them on my view.

I happen to really believe that the current board DOES actually care about kids, and they would move aside if they felt that their departure would ensure a successful levy campaign. It’s just my opinion, but I continue to have faith in the good nature of people, even folks who have made some terrible mistakes in the recent past.

I do not resign to the stance that the current Board “just wants the title” so they will do whatever they can to stay on board. This is a thankless job. These people do not have to take the beating they are taking (whether you think they deserve it or not). They don’t get paid a fortune to do this.

James Ragland said:
    Accountability rests with the Board.

Columbus schools have the poorest population in Central Ohio. You can not expect poor people to take high quality Education Board choice decisions. So, the next board will be of the same quality as current.
    Mike Coleman is the real source of problems in Columbus. He should be held accountable.

SusanB
    Participant

The current school board is a completely “hands off” board. That’s one problem. They literally have no idea what is going on most of the time in the schools. Mike Wiles rails about this all the time and is always outvoted or shut down. The biggest problem IMHO is the administration and the “culture” that has been developed by said administrators over the years. Just replacing one person at the top will not cure the disease that infests the whole system.

James Ragland
    Participant

Dr. Good has been restructuring the internal administration as well. Some folks have left already. Many are on their way out. Most administrators have been “decentralized” and moved into school buildings to help support student achievement. The governance structure that the board has recently voted to keep may have something to do with the perception that the Board is hands off. I see many folks are not choosing to answer me directly.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: