Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 193 total)
  • Author

I have a problem voting for something that has a track record…
    *Federal audit dings Columbus schools on tutor money
    *Columbus schools won’t give up internal auditor
    *Columbus schools spend more than similar districts, study finds
    *Columbus City Schools internal audit now online
    (Read the Copy of emails that were sent back and forth…pages 27 and on…I’m shocked that a member of City Council knew this was going on, but did nothing..)
    *State audit: Money missing from Columbus schools
    *Another blow to city schools

News
    Participant

Meanwhile, Today Outside the Signing of HB 167
    Published on July 15, 2013 11:20 pm
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

When the mayor of Columbus got involved with the city school system, it looked like a step forward. Families were excited and optimistic at the onset of the announcement.

It didn’t last long. First, the mayor appointed an “expert” school panel, the Columbus Education Commission (CEC): many of its members live outside the school district; ninety-six percent of the members have exactly zero children in the city schools. It turned out that the families who had been supporting the school system were effectively excluded from determining the course of reform.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/meanwhile-today-outside-the-signing-of-hb-167-ma1

pez
    Participant

This can’t help….

Toledo Blade

Ohio cancels property tax rollback
    Existing levies to get funding break, but new ones will not

COLUMBUS — Many Ohioans didn’t realize the state was picking up as much as 12.5 percent of their local property tax bills, one Senate Republican recently said.

Perhaps, added a Democratic colleague, but they’ll certainly notice it when the bill goes up.

After a tradition of some 40 years of subsidizing local taxes, Gov. John Kasich and Republicans in the Ohio House and Senate applied the brakes. Local governments and schools heading for the ballot in November to ask voters to support new or replacement levies will have to tell them that the price tags attached will be higher than they were previously told. The taxpayer will pay the entire tab for any new taxes approved.

more

jbcmh81
    Participant

pez said:
    This can’t help….

Toledo Blade

Ohio cancels property tax rollback
    Existing levies to get funding break, but new ones will not

COLUMBUS — Many Ohioans didn’t realize the state was picking up as much as 12.5 percent of their local property tax bills, one Senate Republican recently said.

Perhaps, added a Democratic colleague, but they’ll certainly notice it when the bill goes up.

After a tradition of some 40 years of subsidizing local taxes, Gov. John Kasich and Republicans in the Ohio House and Senate applied the brakes. Local governments and schools heading for the ballot in November to ask voters to support new or replacement levies will have to tell them that the price tags attached will be higher than they were previously told. The taxpayer will pay the entire tab for any new taxes approved.

more

Wait, I thought only Democrats were responsible for raising taxes.

News
    Participant

Urban Meyer Supports Columbus School Levy Campaign
    Posted: Sep 19, 2013 5:48 PM EDT
    By: Ted Hart

The Columbus City School’s levy campaign has unveiled its latest television ad that features Ohio State University football coach Urban Meyer. It is the fourth ad to hit the airwaves with Election Day still seven weeks away.

“The Columbus Education Plan will help prepare students by hiring and keeping the best teachers and making sure all neighborhoods have quality schools,” Meyer says in the ad.

READ MORE: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23479500/urban-meyer-supports-columbus-school-levy-campaign

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

LOL, I just realized that while the thread title is a neutral “Columbus City Levy Proposal”, the url slug is “more-money-for-a-corrupt-school-system”!

Subliminal editorial, or just a relic of a past thread title? You decide! :D

howatzer
    Participant

News said:
    Urban Meyer Supports Columbus School Levy Campaign

right, because whatever urban says, we do.

but I’d be willing to bet the Nate won’t be attending a CCS anytime soon.

howatzer
    Participant

is there any REAL organized anti-levy campaign (beyond bitching about it on Facebook and chat boards)?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami said:
    Subliminal editorial, or just a relic of a past thread title? You decide! :D

The topic title was changed to be more easily found/searchable as well as being more neutral for the sake of conversation.

But the URL remains the same (so links aren’t broken) as what the original poster (NDaEast) used for the original topic title.

It sort of grosses me out when people who don’t have to pay for levies (or send their children to the schools impacted) work as spokesmodels. It’s not good.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/03/21/urban-meyer-buys-house-in-muirfield.html

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Agreed! It definitely grosses me out.

NOBOPatriot
    Participant

VOTE NOTE ON THE SCHOOL LEVY.

This is a con-job, the suckers are the taxpayers and tragic loosers the kids. The only way to fix this is (NO MORE MONEY) They have a $1Billion in an annual budget 2000 adminsitrators making $125K a year, who work 30 hours a week and get 75% of their salaries in pensions and free health care.

MY PROPOSAL,

Cut administrative staff by 50% (across the board)
    Outsource school bus services
    Immediate freeze on all new capital projects, technology purchase and school buildings for 3 years
    Ask current School Board Members (all to resign) effective Nov 1
    Take the balance of resources and hire only front line teachers, teaching in the classroom – increase teachin staff by 25%
    Add 1 month to the school year
    In 3 years when there are no Fs and attendance has improved and graduation rates ask for more money

ARE YOU FOLKS NUTS – This levy is dead and Coleman’s reputation is going to be damaged as well. We have a broken school, with an incompetent if not criminal board, total incompentence in operations and they want more MONEY and then siphon money off to their political hacks in for profit Charter schoolst ! Don’t be a sucker this year

The only to fix this is to(not) give them more money, this is like giving a heroin addict killing themself more drugs – tell your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to VOTE NO on school LEVY

SusanB
    Participant

Two young women were going door to door in my neighborhood this week campaigning for the levy. I heard that they (the pro levy group) is spending 1 million dollars to convince us all to pass the levy. Lots of luck.

Twixlen
    Participant

I don’t think there has been a single levy that I’ve voted against…. until this one.

I can believe that they’re spending that much on campaigning – they have TV commercials airing fairly often on Food Network.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: