Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 193 total)
  • Author

SusanB
    Participant

And did you know that the CPS budget is larger than the entire budget for the city of Columbus? Interesting.

rus
    rus
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    I don’t see how withholding a funding increase would resolve the “corruption” issue. Wouldn’t voting for new board members have a greater impact?

At the very least it would give them less money to divert to “other uses”.

A lack of new money would also show public distrust of current policies and provide impetus to the bureaucracy to change.

Not to say that voting for new board members wouldn’t also help.

heresthecasey
    Participant

CPS already spends more dollars per student than virtually any other district. Throwing even more money down that pit is not going to solve the problem.

DTown
    Participant

SusanB said:
    And did you know that the CPS budget is larger than the entire budget for the city of Columbus? Interesting.

Interesting, why? City government and public education are two very different missions, aren’t they? What can we derive from the cost of one vs the other?

DTown
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    CPS already spends more dollars per student than virtually any other district. Throwing even more money down that pit is not going to solve the problem.

CPS is a completely different animal than virtually any other district. Comparing CPS to suburban districts is not realistic or productive.

DTown
    Participant

rus said:
    At the very least it would give them less money to divert to “other uses”.

A lack of new money would also show public distrust of current policies and provide impetus to the bureaucracy to change.

Not to say that voting for new board members wouldn’t also help.

Public awareness and involvement would also, without arbitrary restrictions.

rus
    rus
    Participant

heresthecasey said:

+1

Lu
    Participant

Today’s Dispatch has a scathing editorial about the Board and the levy:

[b]Many miles from trust
    School board must build voters’ confidence before levy has chance[/b]

Among the many things the Columbus Board of Education appears not to have learned from a year of scandal and turmoil is that it must earn the public’s confidence if it is to govern effectively, and particularly if it hopes to win voters’ approval of a new tax levy.

Yet, board members persist in actions and statements that make clear how little they understand this.

It’s been a solid year of one damning revelation after another: a widespread conspiracy to manipulate attendance records and grades in order to distort state report cards, the board’s improper secret meetings to discuss the scandal, a separate investigation by the FBI, possibly involving contract bid-rigging, and allegations that school-district officials have impeded investigations. Through all of this, never has the board acknowledged any responsibility for the mess.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/06/23/1-many-miles-from-trust.html

I like the comments on that one, better than the article.

Wonder why the Dispatch is trying to discredit Wiles? He’s the only board member who has been responsive/accountable to the community. I guess the newspaper doesn’t like his position against defunding CCS children and teachers.

Dispatch vs Wiles in terms of credibility: that’s an easy call in my view -it’s the newspaper that’s miles away from my trust. Everything it writes is an advertisement for the Education Commission.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    CPS already spends more dollars per student than virtually any other district.

The information I found regarding school district expenditures in Ohio for 2010-2011 indicated that Columbus City Schools ranked 17th in the state for Overall Expenditures per Pupil and 38th in the state for Instructional Expenditures per Pupil.

Granted, there are over six-hundred school districts in Ohio, so Columbus is clearly near the top in terms of expenditures. Specifically they’re in the top 3% for overall spending and the top 5% for instructional spending.

This link below provides data for all the Ohio districts. It’s sortable too, which is handy. It’s interesting to see how the various cities and municipalities stack up:

http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2012/01/17/see-how-much-each-ohio-school-district-spends-per-student/

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Lu said:
    Today’s Dispatch has a scathing editorial about the Board and the levy:

[b]Many miles from trust
    School board must build voters’ confidence before levy has chance[/b]

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/06/23/1-many-miles-from-trust.html

Mike Wiles is the ONLY good board member right now. Screw the Dispatch and their Education Commission.

As for the levy, regardless of the amount, the editorial is correct that without public trust, it doesn’t stand a chance. That’s really unfortunate because the current leadership probably isn’t going to get the message to buck up or get out until a defeat at the polls.

News
    Participant

Committee OK’s Columbus Schools Levy Proposal
    Thursday July 11, 2013 3:02 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A new levy to improve Columbus City Schools would raise property taxes on homeowners. The levy, if approved by the Columbus Board of Education and local voters, could raise property taxes $315 a year on each $100,000 of property value.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/11/columbus-schools-levy-could-raise-property-taxes.html

heresthecasey
    Participant

I think they have got to be nuts to try and push a levy through in this environment.

CPS is toxic right now. The board should focus on rebuilding confidence in the system itself before asking voters to throw more money at it.

Pro Se
    Participant

I am usually all for school funding but I agree, the timing is bad for a hefty levy like this. I can’t believe how high property taxes are getting here.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: