Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 193 total)
  • Author

BCNation
    Participant

The slogan in the successful levy defeat in UA last fall was “It’s Okay to say NO”. My sentiments exactly when it comes to CCS. CCS is too corrupt to fail, and I am ready to vote NO because you have 90% of CCS not educated or prepared for the real world. When I have children, the choice is clear, it’s either I’d better have a good-paying job to send my (future) children to private/parochial school, or it’s a cottage in Bexley/house in Gahanna/one-room log cabin in Lewis C Worthington, over a failing school in Linden/the East Side/the Hilltop any day of the week.

“Just say NO.”- Nancy Reagan

joev
    Participant

I’m truly ignorant on the matter – beside the attendance scandal, what else is corrupt at CCS?

NDaEast
    Participant

It’s too long a list, but I’ll get started — I may be off on a couple details (others feel free to correct and/or fill in the blanks), but my first list would look something like this …

— Under No Child Left Behind, there are private tutoring services available to children in failing schools … CCS was making payments of tens of thousands of dollars to dozens and dozens of phantom providers who never saw kids.

— Over 200 CCS employees had GFS (Gordon Food Services) credit cards, with which some were charged (their own personal) birthday parties, wedding receptions, etc.

— There was a $5M computer purchase from HP, of which $500K in computers disappeared over the summer.

— Thousands of student grades were retroactively changed from failing to passing after students and teachers left school for summer breaks.

— Kids who haven’t been inside a school in years are mysteriously getting enough credits to “graduate,” so there are young people walking around with no idea that the state thinks they have a diploma.

— Students were retroactively (and unlawfully) dis-enrolled, then re-enrolled, so their bad test scores wouldn’t count …

— School principals and staff were making their own children eligible for free/reduced price lunch …

heresthecasey
    Participant

Columbus schools need cuts, not more cash, levy panel is told
    By Bill Bush
    The Columbus Dispatch Friday June 21, 2013 6:00 AM

Columbus City Schools should get no new property-tax money from a November levy, a member of the committee that is to recommend how much money to ask voters to approve said yesterday.

Instead, the new tax dollars should go to running charter schools, expanding pre-kindergarten and starting other initiatives proposed by Mayor Michael B. Coleman’s education commission, said Alex Fischer, head of the Columbus Partnership, which represents large local businesses and organizations.

To balance its budget, the district should cut up to $100 million a year in such non-instructional costs as employee health benefits, and transportation, food and custodial services, while at the same time benefitting from a possible increase in state funding that could reach tens of millions of dollars, he said at a meeting of the committee.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/06/20/Columbus_schools_millage_committee_meets.html

joev
    Participant

Charter schools are on average far worse. I do not want any tax dollars going to support these for-profit entities.

rus
    rus
    Participant

NDaEast said:
    It’s too long a list, but I’ll get started — I may be off on a couple details (others feel free to correct and/or fill in the blanks), but my first list would look something like this …

— Under No Child Left Behind, there are private tutoring services available to children in failing schools … CCS was making payments of tens of thousands of dollars to dozens and dozens of phantom providers who never saw kids.

— Over 200 CCS employees had GFS (Gordon Food Services) credit cards, with which some were charged (their own personal) birthday parties, wedding receptions, etc.

— There was a $5M computer purchase from HP, of which $500K in computers disappeared over the summer.

— Thousands of student grades were retroactively changed from failing to passing after students and teachers left school for summer breaks.

— Kids who haven’t been inside a school in years are mysteriously getting enough credits to “graduate,” so there are young people walking around with no idea that the state thinks they have a diploma.

— Students were retroactively (and unlawfully) dis-enrolled, then re-enrolled, so their bad test scores wouldn’t count …

— School principals and staff were making their own children eligible for free/reduced price lunch …

Looks like a great list of reasons to vote down any new levy until such issues are addressed.

DTown
    Participant

rus said:
    Looks like a great list of reasons to vote down any new levy until such issues are addressed.

Sure. Because the Columbus School System doesn’t do anything positive. Doesn’t the fact that these issues are public and reported on tend to make you think that maybe they are being addressed, and that the vast majority of a very large and difficult to administer system is committed to improvement?

rus
    rus
    Participant

DTown said:
    Sure. Because the Columbus School System doesn’t do anything positive.

Right, and where did I say that?

DTown said:
    Doesn’t the fact that these issues are public and reported on tend to make you think that maybe they are being addressed, and that the vast majority of a very large and difficult to administer system is committed to improvement?

No, not at all. That something is simply reported on doesn’t mean something is being addressed or being addressed satisfactorily.

Those are separate questions.

DTown
    Participant

rus said:
    Right, and where did I say that?

If one person’s list of concerns with the exceedingly complex public school system is a singular reason to vote against any levy that has yet to be quantified, announced or explained, you aren’t exactly espousing an intellectual or thoughtful debate on the pros and cons of the issues, are you?

gramarye
    Participant

If those allegations are in fact true, then yes, it is more than just “one person’s list of concerns” and indeed rises to a reason to vote against further funding until the composition of the board shifts to one more committed to eliminating such phenomena. Of course, NDaEast clearly has an axe to grind, so I would be interested in hearing the other side here–in particular, what actions the current board has in fact taken in response to these occurrences.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gramarye said:
    If those allegations are in fact true, then yes, it is more than just “one person’s list of concerns” and indeed rises to a reason to vote against further funding until the composition of the board shifts to one more committed to eliminating such phenomena.

Exactly. Mismanagement of current funds isn’t a reason to give them more funds. Quite the opposite.

gramarye said:
    what actions the current board has in fact taken in response to these occurrences.

Would be nice.

DTown
    Participant

gramarye said:
    If those allegations are in fact true, then yes, it is more than just “one person’s list of concerns” and indeed rises to a reason to vote against further funding until the composition of the board shifts to one more committed to eliminating such phenomena. Of course, NDaEast clearly has an axe to grind, so I would be interested in hearing the other side here–in particular, what actions the current board has in fact taken in response to these occurrences.

A committee of 16 business leaders and community leaders are meeting to determine the levy needs and to recommend where money should be spent and where cuts should be made. They are making these recommendations with full awareness of these very public problems. It is part of a much larger effort, I believe, to change the system for the better. Problems or not, schools still need money to operate, and often to fix those problems. No one can deny that scrutiny and change is occurring.

Let’s wait until we hear the plan, at least.

Just irks me that so many people are experts on just how much money a school system, any school system, needs to operate properly… “no more than I’m paying now”. And anything short of perfection can be used as validation of that particular expertise.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DTown said:
    Just irks me that so many people are experts on just how much money a school system, any school system, needs to operate properly

Because payments to phantom providers, missing computers and personal use of school district resources are required for any school system to operate properly?

ehill27
    Participant

I don’t see how withholding a funding increase would resolve the “corruption” issue. Wouldn’t voting for new board members have a greater impact?

DTown
    Participant

rus said:
    Because payments to phantom providers, missing computers and personal use of school district resources are required for any school system to operate properly?

No, they aren’t. They are problems that require, demand, repair. Any system involving tens of thousands of people and countless sub contractors are susceptible.

Closed minded withholding of operating funds without facts or any analysis isn’t a fix, and likely primarily self-serving.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!