Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools Levy Proposal 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 193 total)
  • Author

NDaEast
    Participant

OK, my rant wasn’t done… I was looking at those videos … did Dr. Good really say he thought all 116 CCS schools should be in A or B status by 2015??!!?? When 76 are at a “D” level today? Give me a break! Are we supposed to believe this shiggidy? And what the hell does “stacking hands” mean … can we lose that phrase, please?

joev
    Participant

NDaEast said:
    OK, my rant wasn’t done… I was looking at those videos … did Dr. Good really say he thought all 116 CCS schools should be in A or B status by 2015??!!?? When 76 are at a “D” level today? Give me a break! Are we supposed to believe this shiggidy? And what the hell does “stacking hands” mean … can we lose that phrase, please?

Stacking hands means the powerful have spoken and it’s time to just listen to them and give them more of our money (while the corporate groups endorsing the levy often have tax abatements.)

I nominate “reimagine” for obsolescence too. That term is tired. But “shiggidy” . . . I don’t know what that one means, but it’s going into my vocabulary immediately. Love it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    Stacking hands means the powerful have spoken and it’s time to just listen to them and give them more of our money (while the corporate groups endorsing the levy often have tax abatements.)

Shut up and pay. Taxes are the price you pay for civilization. What, you hate public services? Maybe you should move to Somalia; people tell me it’s a libertarian paradise.

/yes, I’m kidding.
    //couldn’t resist.
    ///the slashies, they call me.

joev
    Participant

LOL. Funny guy. All taxes are not good taxes. This one is a raw deal. I will support a CCS levy when all the junk is stripped out and when the money is directed to the classroom and not to creating redundant levels of administration.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    LOL. Funny guy. All taxes are not good taxes.

Damn tea baggers invading these threads.

/And the hits just keep on coming.

SusanB
    Participant

I am fairly certain that the Mayor’s condo downtown is tax abated for 15 years.

NDaEast
    Participant

… And the public-private partnership that will be engaged in community advocacy for education sounds just like the United Way of Central Ohio’s Education Vision Council, with its “Bold Goals” for public education … are we re-inventing the wheel, and can 15 people (the upper managers/community relations managers who will ultimately be assigned to this public private partnership) really be so impactful?

… And we’ll improve student performance because schools would be more open to outside groups …

… And education is the most important issue in the community and people will “stack hands” around it because the Mayor said so … don’t most people have pretty busy lives already? …

… Is it just me, or does none of this stuff sound remotely grounded in reality?

… sigh … these vague statements are worth $515M over the next five years and a permanent 24% tax increase? Please vote “No” so the rest of us aren’t saddled with the expense of this unfounded optimism, purposeful ignorance, and/or false promises.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I’m glad I don’t have to decide on this one. I usually vote for school levies but the last administration destroyed public confidence entirely

NDaEast
    Participant

The Columbus Free Press has two articles pertaining to Issues 50: Coleman Says Ignore the Scandal, Kids Are Cute, Pass the Levy.

This article discusses the fact that Columbus has the highest revenue per pupil of local school districts (which will be increased should Issue 50 pass), but the worst educational outcomes.

It questions the levy promise that all Columbus kids will be in A or B-rated schools within 6 years.

It questions the impact of the school district’s existing pre-K program, noting that Columbus kids who enter kindergarten at the same level of readiness as other kids see educational losses by 3rd grade, and it shows the below District average third grade performance of the majority of the 14 existing CCS schools that have nationally accredited Pre-K programs, calling into question the benefit of the levy’s proposed spending to expand Pre-K.

The second article is about the lack of transparency and the lawsuits and lawyering up CCS has done to hide information about its misdeeds from the public.

NDaEast
    Participant

joev said:

Ahhh … now I understand. At first it just sounded stupid, trite and meaningless and I wondered why our leaders kept repeating it … but this definition makes complete sense. Thanks for the education!

joev
    Participant

NOBOPatriot
    Participant

PLEASE VOTE NO FOR CHEATERS AND CHARTERS, tell your friends, neighbors, coworkers, family, etc and do the same on Twitter and Facebook and via email.

This is a con – $25K per pupil $1Billion budget and they still can’t get it right – they have been no changes that warrent giving them more money, the administration is dishonest and criminal and incompetent. The entire school board needs to resign starting with Perkins. 50% reduction in administrators and a 50% increase in new teachers. No new technology or school buildings

The levy money will be used to hire lawyers to defend the criminals

Mercurius
    Participant

I plan to support 50 & 51. There was a scandal–but now there is new leadership. Thus far, I’ve been impressed with Dan Good. There was lack of accountability–but this would create another independent auditor. I believe the current surplus shows tangible changes already and increased efficiencies in the administration. There have been people fired for the corruption and more heads are about to fall through the state audit.

I don’t believe it’s fair to compare costs per pupil per district or even school. There is such a thing as an opportunity gap and external expectations placed on children that they have no control over. While ideally, I’d love to see more of an emphasis on reducing the opportunity gap, most of the solutions would decrease individual parents liberty with their kids and/or are very costly. However, Pre-K has shown blatant results in improving long term achievement and reducing the opportunity gap. It’s amazing there isn’t required pre-K already. I do believe if a child isn’t receiving encouragement and doesn’t have external expectations from their guardians, nice facilities and good teachers can go a long way in giving a child higher expectations.

I think everyone agrees that the current system isn’t working for the majority of kids. I think it’s insane not to attempt to change it. Imagine if no families were moving to the suburbs for schools…

NOBOPatriot
    Participant

To vote yes on 50 and 51 is idiotic. The schools fail on every level, performance, management, lie and cheat and you reward them with more money – PLAIN STUPID. You need to create a crisis with less resources to get effective change. And then the tax increase falls on the poor and hurts these homeowners the most creating more proverty. They will ALWAYS ask for more money – which is ALWAYS THE SOLUTION

VOTE NO, vote no, VOTE NO AND TELL YOU FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME – if you care about real change for the better and about the kids (collateral damage)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: