Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

More condos coming to the Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development More condos coming to the Arena District

This topic contains 82 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by King Gambrinus King Gambrinus 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author

columbuslover
    Participant

this is excellent. it is so lame that they won’t make this a high rise. the millennials are looking for a more urban feel, 20+ floors would make this development an extremely desired place to live. they need to be a little more open minded and realize that this generation doesn’t fancy traditional design…these condos aren’t going to be marketable to people with children– so why not make them sleek, modern, and urban? columbus needs more special and exciting condos. I don’t get it….

heresthecasey
    Participant

This is definitely the largest piece of developable land left in the original Arena District, but I don’t really think it is the “last.” Both the empty lot on Neil between the Columbia Gas HQ and Flats II, and the surface lot along Vine in front of Arena Crossing seem ripe for infill at some point.

Big Drew
    Participant

. it is so lame that they won’t make this a high rise.

I’m trying to understand where your information on the height of the building is coming from….

columbuslover
    Participant

. it is so lame that they won’t make this a high rise.

I’m trying to understand where your information on the height of the building is coming from….

it’s coming from the article that I read stating that NRI typically develops buildings around 3-5 stories. flats on vine is 3 stories, flats II is either 4 or 5, the grandview yard apartments are about the same. columbus has a pretty weak skyline. it would be great to see something other than ANOTHER regular apartment complex.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

it’s coming from the article that I read stating that NRI typically develops buildings around 3-5 stories. flats on vine is 3 stories, flats II is either 4 or 5, the grandview yard apartments are about the same. columbus has a pretty weak skyline. it would be great to see something other than ANOTHER regular apartment complex.

They could always replicate the 20-story North Bank Tower next door as a part of it.

RedStorm
    Participant

This is definitely the largest piece of developable land left in the original Arena District, but I don’t really think it is the “last.” Both the empty lot on Neil between the Columbia Gas HQ and Flats II, and the surface lot along Vine in front of Arena Crossing seem ripe for infill at some point.

I thought the space between Columbus Gas and Flats II was left to be a “green space” more or less – not sure what you can build there, it’s not that much space. Agree on those lots off Vine Street though, even if it’s not a bunch of high rises but it’s definitely a good spot for some more infill.

As for the spot proposed – I don’t know if they will do another 20 story condo building. It would block a lot of the views of North Bank and that could potentially drive down the value of those condos. I don’t have a preference, just as long as its tastefully done and makes sense with the rest of the A.D.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I don’t know how much nationwide needs to be concerned about views of North Bank. They’ve sold all the units. They’re cashed out at this point. Maybe the residents would get real vocal about it, but it’s not like they bought air rights to the surrounding properties so there were no guarantees.

However, I think if you built a tower you’d want some distance from North Bank anyway to keep the value of the new units high (you probably wouldn’t want to live in an all glass tower directly across the street from an all glass tower). But I think if you built on the corner of New Public Lane and John McConnell Blvd you’d be far enough away and set back to to not have views be an issue.

Although, I think this is all hypothetical because I think it’s really unlikely they build a tower,expecially if they keep it all condos. I know the market for condos is coming back but it took them 7 years to fill North Bank, I don’t think they’ll go that route again. Maybe if you they did a mix of condos/apartments you could get that height.

combs1ng
    combs1ng
    Participant

Has anyone heard any news about the possible expansion of or addition to The Condominiums at North Bank Park? I read an article in the Dispatch a few weeks back about Nationwide possibly building 3 more structures (scale of buildings not mentioned) in the Arena district, but can’t find much online about it. I think it would be great to see 2 or 3 more 15+ story condo buildings lining the river! If you have any information, thoughts or comments, put them below…

WJT
    Participant

I wish they would. And make sure they are condo so as not to affect the rental market. I think they would have problems with positioning a higher tower without blocking eastern views from the original tower, or having the back ugliest northwest end of the massive hulking looks-like-a-32-story-parking garage-AEP building sitting right in the middle of the view.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Has anyone heard any news about the possible expansion of or addition to The Condominiums at North Bank Park? I read an article in the Dispatch a few weeks back about Nationwide possibly building 3 more structures (scale of buildings not mentioned) in the Arena district, but can’t find much online about it. I think it would be great to see 2 or 3 more 15+ story condo buildings lining the river! If you have any information, thoughts or comments, put them below…

I merged your topic with the other one that from several weeks ago. So there’s a lot of thoughts and comments above too. ;)

combs1ng
    combs1ng
    Participant

Ok, thanks Walker. Still pretty new to the site so I wasn’t sure how to best search a topic before posting.

dculberson
    Participant

I think by “last,” they meant “last part of the original master plan.” Some of the recent developments and all the empty land after this piece are outside the original master plan. Then again, there’s been article after article saying something is the “last” piece of the Arena District for a while now.

Also, I love the “Fort Tribeca” comment. Spot on.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I found this rendering on PH7 Architects site. It looks like it has more infill along Spring Street and also shows the empty lot filled in where Nationwide Realty plans their new condo/apartment project. Not sure how up to date it is though. If you notice with the new infill along Spring and Hanover Street (circled in yellow) there is still quite a bit of surface parking incorporated in. I highlighted the new condo project in Orange.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I don’t think that’s too up to date. The Columbia Gas building isn’t quite right and the garage/park/apartments that are immediately north of it seem to be missing as well. The overview of building to the west of Huntington Park also doesn’t quote line up with the renderings.

That said I hope the general site plan is still accurate. I can’t wait for those parking lots to be filled up with condos.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

^^ oh, if only the tree medians on Neil Ave had been retained.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.