Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

More condos coming to the Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development More condos coming to the Arena District

This topic contains 82 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by King Gambrinus King Gambrinus 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The news, via Business First.

Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. is moving ahead with a plan to build new condominiums adjacent to McFerson Commons in a project that would be the final piece of the original Arena District master plan.

Nationwide Realty President Brian Ellis said the development is targeted for the surface parking lot next to the Eye Center, a prime piece of real estate.

“We’ve saved the best site for last,” he said. “It’s going to have tremendous views of the downtown skyline, it’s going to be situated on not one but two parks – McFerson to the east and North Bank to the south – and just fabulous views right down the river. This is going to be a tremendous site.”

ACsmifth3
    Participant

Excellent!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That site has always been slated for development of some sort. We heard about a month ago that an announcement could be coming soon, and it sounds like they’re still not quite ready to reveal it all just yet. The Biz First article was pretty scarce on details…

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

That site has always been slated for development of some sort. We heard about a month ago that an announcement could be coming soon, and it sounds like they’re still not quite ready to reveal it all just yet. The Biz First article was pretty scarce on details…

I’d imagine that a proposal there would have some height. Maybe not North Bank but in order to get those views it would have to get above the hill that separates Long Street from Spring street.

Big Drew
    Participant

This is completely a rumor that I just made up…but I heard that its going to be a 600 footer.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I can imagine something around 8-10 floors. Those views won’t be too shabby…or cheap.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Nationwide Reality has not exactly stepped outside of the brick, 5-6 story comfort zone very often in recent years. I would expect something similar at this site, though perhaps with a few added floors. I would be shocked if it was anything over 10 or more stories. A tower like North Bank or taller is almost certainly out of the question. The fact that it’ll be more than one building just about guarantees an unimpressive height.

Pro Se
    Participant

The article mentioned phases so it might be more sense than usual. Otherwise, I think they could handle it all at once financially at the usually 4-5 stories. Another factor is the condo aspect, which take longer to absorb into the market.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I could see something along the lines of this for the layout. Not so much the design just the layout. With the smaller portion of the building only going up 4 or 5 floors to not block the view for North Bank Condos.

photo flat_zps46b625e1.png

Mike88
    Participant

Great news!

I can’t wait to see how the building turns out. I would love to see some more height in the neighborhood but so long as it fits in well with the rest of the district I’ll be happy.

ohbr
    Participant

I may be alone in this but I always thought that something with an architectual nod to the main Ohio Pen building could be nice. Not a copy but bringing in some of the elements that are scalable.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I may be alone in this but I always thought that something with an architectual nod to the main Ohio Pen building could be nice. Not a copy but bringing in some of the elements that are scalable.

NRI could just borrow the plans from Fort Tribeca at 3rd & Grandview, lol

tribeca fortress

ohbr
    Participant

I was thinking a little more like this but now that I see that image of Tribeca, I get it. Lol

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I always thought that location would be perfect for a mixed use building with apts and a new museum (modern, comtemporary, pop, etc) with a rooftop restaurant, event space and restaurant/bar. It would be pretty inspiring to look at art on your left and the city skyline to your right!!

News
    Participant

New Condo Buildings Will Complete The Arena District
    January 30, 2015 1:05 pm – Walker Evans

When Nationwide Arena first opened its doors nearly 15 years ago, it signaled the launch of the Arena District in Downtown Columbus. In the early 2000s, the neighborhood was home to several new and renovated office and residential buildings, but much of the land surrounding the Arena was still made up of gravel parking lots that were being held for future development.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-condo-buildings-will-complete-the-arena-district

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.