Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Montreal.. can't miss spots?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Montreal.. can't miss spots?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

My wife and I are heading to Montreal this weekend. We’ve never been before and saw a cheap package deal, and with the long weekend, why not.

Any can’t miss spots/attractions?

Being a beer fan this is top of my list already http://www.dieuduciel.com/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

May I inquire about the details of cheap package deal? I’ve also never been but am curious.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

May I inquire about the details of cheap package deal? I’ve also never been but am curious.

It was an expedia package. 4 nights in a 4 star and flights for 2 people $1,200.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

That’s a badass deal, thanks.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Nothing to contribute to the question, as I have also never been, but have a great time!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Do a quick search over at Trip Advisor. Most of the time stuff there is pretty up to date.

French Canada is awesome however I’ve never been to Montreal. I also check shows like The Layover (anything Anthony Bourdain) to get ideas.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve been all over trip advisor and reddit/r/montreal

ColDayMan
    Participant

For a unique experience, check out the The Emerald Hotel Bar in the Mile-End neighborhood. They have great drinks and interesting, low-key atmosphere. Pizzeria Romeo makes good pizza and Poutineville has good, well, it’s obvious in the name. If you’ve never been to Montreal, you’ll probably want to at least try Schwartz’s for their smoked meat but honestly, head to the Jean-Talon Market to get some lunch. It’s a great market atmosphere near their Little Italy. A couple blocks away from Jean-Talon is St-Hubert, which has a retro market for more downgrade retail options.

But really, go to The Plateau (Station Mont-Royal is a good one to get off at), Square St-Louis (Station Sherbrooke), Latin Quarter (Rue Saint-Denis south of Sherbrooke), the (touristy) Old City, and go up the mountain for the view. Heading east (which is technically northeast) from Papineau will give you a Queens-but-French vibe; The Plateau will give you a spirl-starecase-Brooklyn vibe; and Westmount will give you a French-Chicago-but-they-speak-English-so-thank-God vibe. Hope that helps a little.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

For a unique experience, check out the The Emerald Hotel Bar in the Mile-End neighborhood. They have great drinks and interesting, low-key atmosphere. Pizzeria Romeo makes good pizza and Poutineville has good, well, it’s obvious in the name. If you’ve never been to Montreal, you’ll probably want to at least try Schwartz’s for their smoked meat but honestly, head to the Jean-Talon Market to get some lunch. It’s a great market atmosphere near their Little Italy. A couple blocks away from Jean-Talon is St-Hubert, which has a retro market for more downgrade retail options.

But really, go to The Plateau (Station Mont-Royal is a good one to get off at), Square St-Louis (Station Sherbrooke), Latin Quarter (Rue Saint-Denis south of Sherbrooke), the (touristy) Old City, and go up the mountain for the view. Heading east (which is technically northeast) from Papineau will give you a Queens-but-French vibe; The Plateau will give you a spirl-starecase-Brooklyn vibe; and Westmount will give you a French-Chicago-but-they-speak-English-so-thank-God vibe. Hope that helps a little.

This is awesome, thanks a lot.

dbincbus
    Participant

I lived in Montreal for a while and can’t really add more to this. I’ll throw in the Biodome – a very unique indoor zoo near Olympic Stadium. Language won’t be a barrier except in the east-end – almost everybody speaks English.

Make sure to have a bagel – best bagels in the world (yes New York, and shut up about it).

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Make sure to have a bagel – best bagels in the world (yes New York, and shut up about it).

I keep reading that. Who knew..

jbad
    jbad
    Participant

for breakfast/pastries Maison Christian Faure

jbad
    jbad
    Participant

and Le Gros Jambon – cool diner spot.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I love Montreal –it feels really European, much different from the rest of Canada. I don’t have much to add except that the food there is amazing!

Roger846
    Participant

I just got back from Montreal today. We went to Dieu du Ciel on Monday, but they were closed for the Saint Jean Baptiste holiday and it sounded like they’d be closed for a few days. I can’t remember if they’d be open this upcoming weekend, though. Instead, we went to a place called Benelux, which also makes their own beer.
    at 245, rue Sherbooke ouest
    (514) 543-9750Ar
    which was close to downtown. I had the Armada brown ale, which was pretty good, and my friends liked the barley wine and Lux blonde, which they liked. It was right near downtown and the Montreal Jazz Festival site, which goes to July 5th. It was a lot of fun, and the music was very good. We saw bands called Gypsophilia (Django Reinhardt-type music) and Riot and the Blues Devils which was a great Quebec blues band in which the singer sang in perfect English. Anyways, it was a lot of fun and was crowded even on a Monday, but they mostly serve just Heineken, which was a sponsor. We also walked around old Montreal, which had tons of restaurants and boutique hotels and reminded me of the scenes of Europe in spy movies. I was imagining Jason Bourne or someone taking out some warlords.
    The people seemed much artier and hipsterish then in Toronto, where we went last year, which was a little more like a US city, and was also great.
    Have a good trip!

http://brasseriebenelux.com/sherbrooke#

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: