Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Money-saving recession tips?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Money-saving recession tips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

blammo wrote

Daz wrote

It’s not my electric bill I’m worried about these days.

My gas bill is absolutely freakin insane.

Stupid crappy old windows.

I just got a letter from “Dominion East Ohio Energy” offering to “lock in my natural gas rate at $.995 per Ccf”. which I guess contrasts from what they list last year’s rate from Columbia Gas at “$1.193 per Ccf”. I don’t know what any of that means really, and I’m skeptical of virtually any offer that is mailed to me, ever.

Anybody ever do something like this? Seems kinda weird to me, but then again I’m a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

My guess (and it’s purely that) is that this falls somewhere along the lines of the companies who used to sell trunked line long distance service, and it never seemed to work out well.

blammo
    Participant

Coremodels wrote

My guess (and it’s purely that) is that this falls somewhere along the lines of the companies who used to sell trunked line long distance service, and it never seemed to work out well.

That’s what I was thinking, but I can’t tell if I’m a chump for taking the offer, or a paranoid fool for ignoring it.

I remember an SNL skit with a superhero called “Middle Aged Man”, who would, in timely fashion, assist 20-30 somethings in times of financial crisis with great fiscal advice on mortgages & home maintenance. Where are you in my time of despair????

also, i would like to arbitrarily use the word “crunk” here. no reason really, I was just thinking about it the other day. Crunk

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

blammo wrote

also, i would like to arbitrarily use the word “crunk” here. no reason really, I was just thinking about it the other day. Crunk

gramarye
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

AnneD wrote I also cut way down on the number/types of cleaners I buy, and use actual cloths instead of paper towels as much as possible. You can clean most of your house well and inexpensively with baking soda and vinegar and maybe a little Dr. Bronner’s. Do we really need a different type of spray cleaner or pre-packaged wipe to clean every single object in the house? Is your life really unsanitary and incomplete without disposable toilet cleaning wands? I sure hope not.

Hah! I pretty much did the same thing except with vinegar and oil soap (and some wax for the wood). I did buy concentrated dish detergent for dishes.

of course you can save on cleaning products by cleaning less :-)

I think dishes are different than most other surfaces because you’re not going to eat off most of those. (Or maybe you are. Different strokes.) The same applies to laundry, I’m sure … you wouldn’t use the same stuff you use on your toilet for that.

I don’t think cleaning products are going to be a budget-breaker for most households, though. Even if you do buy several bottles instead of one, well, you’ve got the same volume of cleaning products, and unless one requires a radically different amount from another, you’re looking at roughly the same amount of uses. I have probably five different cleaning products for various surfaces (including dishes, screens, etc.) … but that just means I need to get more cleaners less often.

Cyclist

gramarye wrote

michaelcoyote wrote

AnneD wrote I also cut way down on the number/types of cleaners I buy, and use actual cloths instead of paper towels as much as possible. You can clean most of your house well and inexpensively with baking soda and vinegar and maybe a little Dr. Bronner’s. Do we really need a different type of spray cleaner or pre-packaged wipe to clean every single object in the house? Is your life really unsanitary and incomplete without disposable toilet cleaning wands? I sure hope not.

Hah! I pretty much did the same thing except with vinegar and oil soap (and some wax for the wood). I did buy concentrated dish detergent for dishes.

I think dishes are different than most other surfaces because you’re not going to eat off most of those. (Or maybe you are. Different strokes.) The same applies to laundry, I’m sure … you wouldn’t use the same stuff you use on your toilet for that.

I don’t think cleaning products are going to be a budget-breaker for most households, though. Even if you do buy several bottles instead of one, well, you’ve got the same volume of cleaning products, and unless one requires a radically different amount from another, you’re looking at roughly the same amount of uses. I have probably five different cleaning products for various surfaces (including dishes, screens, etc.) … but that just means I need to get more cleaners less often.

For clothes detergent, if you live in an apartment building or share a washer with many other people, use the soap left in the bottles of detergent that folks throw away in the trash next to washing machine. Fill the bottles up with water and shake. This will generate enough soap for a load or two. I’ve been doing this for years, and have only bought washing detergent twice.

gramarye
    Participant

Cyclist wrote

gramarye wrote

michaelcoyote wrote

For clothes detergent, if you live in an apartment building or share a washer with many other people, use the soap left in the bottles of detergent that folks throw away in the trash next to washing machine. Fill the bottles up with water and shake. This will generate enough soap for a load or two. I’ve been doing this for years, and have only bought washing detergent twice.

Well, someone has to generate those dregs of soap for you to scavenge. A community of all parasites and no hosts isn’t sustainable, and I’m all about sustainability. :P

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

:lol:

I was thinking the same. Sometimes I can’t tell if Zach is being serious or not, but if not…you do realize that someone has to buy the bottle for you to be able to use those remnants, right?!?

Cyclist

Coremodels wrote :lol:

I was thinking the same. Sometimes I can’t tell if Zach is being serious or not, but if not…you do realize that someone has to buy the bottle for you to be able to use those remnants, right?!?

Right, you’re right, but there’s still soap in them. Do you want me to find them and tell them about this soap remnant they are missing?

That’s the first time I’d ever been accused of being un-sustainable! :lol:

Cyclist

gramarye wrote

Well, someone has to generate those dregs of soap for you to scavenge. A community of all parasites and no hosts isn’t sustainable, and I’m all about sustainability. :P

Don’t you work in bankruptcy court?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Cyclist wrote

Right, you’re right, but there’s still soap in them. Do you want me to find them and tell them about this soap remnant they are missing?

actually, I do buy soap, and I’ve always rinsed out my own bottles for the last little bit of soap for years.. There’s usually enough for several loads at the end of each bottle.

Cyclist

michaelcoyote wrote

Cyclist wrote

actually, I do buy soap, and I’ve always rinsed out my own bottles for the last little bit of soap for years.. There’s usually enough for several loads at the end of each bottle.

Great, you are ahead of the curve.

Andrew Hall

Columbuzz wrote

Coremodels wrote My inherent male insecurity still stands in the way of me haggling at a retailer for anything, and in fact, using coupons for that matter.

Me, too… I also refuse to attach any of those stupid savings cards to my keychain.

There is a very clever hack for this :

Keep an image of the card on your cell phone. It works as well as the original.

If you don’t have a cell phone or one w/ enough resolution, you can scan the cards into a photo editor and make a double-sided card with all the bar codes (reduced) on them and laminate it.

A.

nexttuesday
    Participant

I always use less detergent than recommended. There’s no way it takes a whole scoop of detergent to clean one load of laundry. My clothes look and smell the same using a full scoop or half.

Why all this wal-mart hate? I shop there for food and other things like cat food and shampoo. I went there once this past summer to buy some kind of electronic device and noticed how much cheaper everything was there. I formerly shopped at Giant Eagle, but when you look at the price difference, particularly on certain items, it’s incredible. It may seem like you save money by using fuel perks, but if you’re spending more than 2.80(.20 cents times 14 gallons) extra at giant eagle than you would somewhere else on the same products, then you’re still behind.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote

If you don’t have a cell phone or one w/ enough resolution, you can scan the cards into a photo editor and make a double-sided card with all the bar codes (reduced) on them and laminate it.

that phone trick is a cute idea.

I just put the stupid things on my keychain and take some comfort in knowing they’re all either under fake names or are cards I found lying in the parking lots.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote

Columbuzz wrote

Coremodels wrote My inherent male insecurity still stands in the way of me haggling at a retailer for anything, and in fact, using coupons for that matter.

Me, too… I also refuse to attach any of those stupid savings cards to my keychain.

A.

They actually used to (at least) offer an actual credit card style GE card, I use one to this day.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: