Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

MLS in Cincinnati

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports MLS in Cincinnati

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Lindner explains why he bought a pro soccer franchise
    Aug 12, 2015, 3:02pm EDT
    Steve Watkins – Staff Reporter – Cincinnati Business Courier

Carl Lindner III has spent his entire career in the insurance and finance business. He grew up watching his dad run American Financial Group (NYSE: AFG), and he and his brother Craig have run the company for nearly two decades.

So what got Lindner into the business of owning the first high-level outdoor professional soccer franchise in Cincinnati?

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/08/12/lindner-explains-why-he-bought-a-pro-soccer.html

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

The team will be in the United Soccer League. The owner hopes to eventually make it into the MLS.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Right. The thread title is pretty inaccurate. Nice that they’d like to be in MLS someday. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Right. The thread title is pretty inaccurate. Nice that they’d like to be in MLS someday. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

It’s a discussion topic for discussion. The owner is discussing it. We can discuss it too.

rory
    Participant

It’s not the least bit crazy to think that they could move up the MLS. If they get decent attendance numbers and community buy-in why would the MLS wave off an overture from the group. They’ve a got an upgraded stadium at UC. I definitely wouldn’t poo-poo their plan. There are a few entities that have purchased lower league teams in European leagues and are gradually moving them up. Much cheaper than buying a top-tier team.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Yeah, but, they’re in the third tier league. They haven’t played a game yet. There’s a lot of other teams in the NASL and USL that would love to do the same thing, and are actually already out there playing games and drawing fans.

The new NY team just paid a $100mm expansion fee. There is no way MLS would let in another team, diluting everyone’s cut, without another hefty expansion fee. I think the article said FC Cincinnati paid a $2mm expansion fee to enter the USL. Linder will need to find a lot of wealthy friends to make up the gap. The European model of buying a cheap lower level team and moving it up really only works in a promotion relegation system.

I also think the UC stadium thing is being oversold. That stadium holds like 40k. USL teams draw like 10% of that on a good day. It sucks watching games in stadiums that are way to big. Not as bad as when the Crew was in Ohio Stadium, but still.

So is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. But not at all likely in the foreseeable future.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION