Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The View on High - Mixed Use Development on Site of North Campus Wendy's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The View on High – Mixed Use Development on Site of North Campus Wendy's

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #535040

    Dotson
    Member

    So, this will not have a drive through? I thought all fast food in Columbus without drive-throughs failed?

    #535041
    tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

    Dotson don’t forget, the N High Mcdonald’s about a block south doesn’t have a drive thru either… seems to be doing fine.

    But yes I was shocked by this in a good way, I think it will be a perfect addition and hopefully jump start this type of development.

    #535042

    Dotson
    Member

    tlb919 said:
    Dotson don’t forget, the N High Mcdonald’s about a block south doesn’t have a drive thru either… seems to be doing fine.

    But yes I was shocked by this in a good way, I think it will be a perfect addition and hopefully jump start this type of development.

    You are right, and I thought about that. Then I thought about the multiple Wendy’s that were closed downtown that did not have a drive through. Hey, I would prefer to have more fast food places like this with no drive through, I just really hope they can make it. If there is anywhere a Wendy’s can make it without a drive through it is campus. Even though I avoid campus mostly in my early 30s age, I am a huge fan of this project.

    #535043
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Dotson said:
    You are right, and I thought about that. Then I thought about the multiple Wendy’s that were closed downtown that did not have a drive through.

    I think the lack of drive-thrus in the Downtown Wendy’s closures were only one factor out of several. They also had low amounts of evening/dinner traffic, late-night traffic and weekend traffic compared to their counterparts.

    I don’t think the campus location probably suffers from this as the student/neighborhood demographic is a little more 24/7 than an office-based 9-to-5 area like Downtown.

    #535044

    Dotson
    Member

    Walker said:
    I think the lack of drive-thrus in the Downtown Wendy’s closures were only one factor out of several. They also had low amounts of evening/dinner traffic, late-night traffic and weekend traffic compared to their counterparts.

    I don’t think the campus location probably suffers from this as the student/neighborhood demographic is a little more 24/7 than an office-based 9-to-5 area like Downtown.

    Yup, I agree. I was more or less just wondering if it indeed does not have a drive through. Maybe it came off negative, but I did not mean it to be that way. I would love to see the white castle in the short north go this way. WIth the old guard at White Castle soon relinquishing power to the new generation, I wonder if that could indeed occur sooner rather than later.

    #535045

    susank
    Member

    It takes a decent amount of traffic to keep a major fast food chain franchise afloat. The Mcdonald’s on Neil Ave near the medical center closed and I recall hearing it was a lack of a drive thru and the somewhat sleepier area that did them in. That was still a pretty densely populated area, but you need to sell a lot of inexpensive things around the clock to pay the rent and franchise fees (which I imagine aren’t cheap). There aren’t really any fast food places in the Discovery District (other than subway) despite all the students there.

    On another note, I really like the design of this project.

    #535046

    heresthecasey
    Participant

    Dotson said:
    So, this will not have a drive through? I thought all fast food in Columbus without drive-throughs failed?

    This Wendy’s drive-thru was a pain in the ass anyways. Impossible to get in or out of, and slow as molasses. They’ll be fine without it.

    So glad to see this development taking place!

    #535047

    mrpoppinzs
    Member

    heresthecasey said:
    This Wendy’s drive-thru was a pain in the ass anyways. Impossible to get in or out of, and slow as molasses. They’ll be fine without it.

    So glad to see this development taking place!

    +1 They won’t need it.

    I see this development as the beginning of a trend reclaiming the missing teeth on High.

    #535048
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    susank said:
    There aren’t really any fast food places in the Discovery District (other than subway) despite all the students there.

    The McD’s at Grant & Main if that counts. ;)

    I know what you’re saying though. It seems like fast or fast-casual food would make a lot of sense between the populations of CSCC, CCAD, Franklin and Capital Law School. I think part of the problem could be that so much of the land over there is owned by the schools and there are non-compete clauses with cafeteria food service providers like Aramark that keeps competition from happening.

    #535049

    Graybeak
    Participant

    When you are developing a site, please feel free to put as many or as few parking lots on your property as you like.

    #535050

    columbusmike
    Participant

    Graybeak said:
    When you are developing a site, please feel free to put as many or as few parking lots on your property as you like.

    Unfortunately, zoning requires min. and max. parking numbers…but variances can be granted.

    #535051

    InnerCore
    Participant

    Graybeak said:
    When you are developing a site, please feel free to put as many or as few parking lots on your property as you like.

    Yeah, it doesn’t really work that way. What you do on your site affects everything around you which is why we have zoning.

    #535052

    Graybeak
    Participant

    OK, let me rephrase.
    When you develop your own site, please feel free to place the number of parking spots you like on your property, within the parameters of the zoning rules.

    If you are not a fan of the zoning rules, yet are not developing a property, please feel free to try to get the zoning rules changed.

    #535053

    Likes Old Houses
    Participant

    For some reason I was able to read the entire Business First “print edition” without a subscription today. The article there stated that this is being designed within the urban zoning overlay requirements, and won’t need any variances or review from City Council or the University Area Commission. This will speed-up approval and construction which is to start this summer! It still needs a formal zoning review by the City.
    The article also stated that these same franchise owners (related to the Dave Thomas Family) sold their restaurant at 1510 N High (South Campus) to Campus Partners and have a lease back agreement. I checked the Auditors website, and it shows the transaction. All kinds of good news in this one article.

    #535054

    surber17
    Participant

    The design is amazing! What a huge upgrade to the area

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 139 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: