Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Minneapolis!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Minneapolis!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

Any shopping tips? I’d like to get my wife something nice while I’m up there.

patient_zero
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Any shopping tips? I’d like to get my wife something nice while I’m up there.

The mall of all malls – Mall of America – is in nearby Bloomington, and is accessible by rail. It boasts over 500 stores. Should be something there for Themisses. There is a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co for Themister, if he’s hungry.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/home

Hiawatha Light Rail (Route 55) – The Hiawatha light-rail line offers fast, frequent service from downtown (5th Street) to Mall of America. Hiawatha light-rail trains leave every 7.5 minutes during rush hours, every 10-15 minutes at other times. Travel time from end to end is 39 minutes.

DavidF
    Participant

Mall of America is on the list. I’m also interested in cool local shops that may have something unique.

patient_zero
    Participant

Two 12 Pottery in the Northeast Arts District has some great pottery, jewelry and clothing. This offbeat area of Minneapolis has some great places to eat, including a Tiki themed restaurant, Psycho Suzi’s.

http://www.northeastminneapolisartsdistrict.com/shops.php

lilbit
    Participant

http://www.secretsofthecity.com/

You can sign up for the “Secrets of the Day” email that highlights a couple of cool things going on in the Twin Cities each day.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

DavidF
    Participant

Love it! Thanks guys!

dru
    Participant

also, if you happen to find yourself in Dinkytown (right bank of UMN), go into Loring Pasta Bar. Two details:
    1. Most must see Gents Room in all of MSP.
    2. The upper level comprises part of a space that used to be Bob Dylan’s apartment.

Cannot find the link, but if you go back and watch the Bourdain episode of What to Eat featuring Columbus, you’ll see his visit to Piccolo at the end of the same episode.

Also, if it is unseasonably warm head to Brit’s Pub on Nicollet Mall. As a pub it is just a pub, but as an establishment with roof top lawn bowling it is awesome.

DavidF
    Participant

So thanks for the suggestions everyone. Turns out, I’m working in Mankota Minnesota, about 100 miles south of the twin cities. I hope to get the chance to head back to Minneapolis occasionally, but if anyone has any good Mankota suggestions, I’m all ears!

drew
    Participant

You mean Mankato? It’s a hidden vacation paradise!

Seriously, though, when I worked in MPLS I’d occasionally be sent down to Mankato for projects. It’s a small, pleasant university town, but not too much going on. Though there are lakes… lots and lots of lakes.

joev
    Participant

Mankato is where Laura Ingalls Wilder went on vacation…

DavidF
    Participant

Lakes and hot springs apparently. Nice people here and not a horrible place to be. Unfortunately, the hotel I’m staying is is pretty horrid. Cramped, no closets, and my kitchen has all of two hot plate burners to cook with.

My wife did bring up the little house on the prairie reference when I told her where I was going.

patient_zero
    Participant

Doh! That sounds like a bait and switch to me. It would have been nice in the Summer with all those lakes and fresh air, not so nice on the cusp of Winter.

I would order a lot of takeout at Pho Saigon if I were you. :)

Trade one of your good mattresses for some venison steaks and loins, and bring them back home. Someone should have some freezer space up there you can borrow.

DavidF
    Participant

I’m thinking of swinging by Pho after work tonight. They asked me if I wanted to stay longer than the 15th and I asked them if they understand the likelihood of my being disemboweled by my sweetie (who I love and adore!) if I stayed any longer.

I would be interesed in relocating up here if given the opportunity.

cheap

DavidF said:

I would be interesed in relocating up here if given the opportunity.

if you do,you’re going to want to buy a snowmobile.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE