Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Milo Grogan info

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Milo Grogan info

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Participant

Hi – So this area seems pretty interesting, i was exploring moving into the Milo-grogan area – Does anyone have any insights they could share about the area? crime, neighborhood, growth, etc. Any insight would be helpful – thanks!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Historically, it’s a working-class neighborhood.

Currently, there’s not a whole lot going on over there, outside of a couple of new small manufacturing operations (North High Brewing and Middle West Spirits both have new production facilities over there)…

https://www.columbusunderground.com/north-high-brewing-opens-new-brewhouse-facility

Rogue Fitness is planning to relocate and expand their production to the Timken site at 5th and Cleveland:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/rogue-fitness-plans-manufacturing-relocation-to-former-timken-site

And beyond that, there’s a lot of potential from a planning perspective, especially considering the neighborhood’s proximity to both the Short North and to Downtown:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/milo-grogan-redevelopment-concept

Participant

thanks walker, the CU coverage has been very helpful! any recent 1st person accounts would help a great deal.

740Eggy
    Participant

I live in this neighborhood on E 4th Ave and Lexington. Crime is bad. Just this past week a woman was stabbed at a club down the road. 2 other murders that I know of. Crime has however lessened over the years; it used to be terrible. My family has been okay, no burglaries *crossing fingers*. Definitely not a neighborhood I want my children to be raised in but it’s convenient because our home is paid for and property taxes are low.

Development is coming to the area but it is slow and not necessarily the right type of development for the area in my opinion. The Timken site, for example, went to warehouse Rogue fitness equipment. I don’t think that will do much to garner employment in this neighborhood.

The closest decent grocery store is the Short North Kroger’s. The only restaurants are Shades, fried chickn and fried shrimp joints….can I get a non battered veggie?

The faces of the neighborhood are changing too. I have more neighbors that seem to have more disposable income and keep up their property. However, homes are hit and miss in their level of upkeep. You’ll have a nice looking home next to something that needs to be razed. The city has come and torndown 3 abandoned homes on my street already. Plenty more that need to be torn down

IT is very convenient to the Short North, Italian Village, Columbus State, and downtown. Close proximity to Grant Hospital and fitness center but all of that still requires a drive. I would not recommend walking especially at late hours near the train tracks that cut off Milo Grogan from italian Village.

Speaking of which what is that hideous rundown factory off of 2nd Avenue next to the train tracks? Why hasn’t it been torn down?

In summary, it has many benefits to individuals who are unable to afford the prices of property in the Short North, Italian Village, and Victorian Village area. However progress is super slow and not necessarily a good fit for the neighborhood. Ideally, i would love to see them get rid of these abandoned homes, abandoned looking warehouses, and the train tracks that separate Milo Grogan from the rest of the city.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Development is coming to the area but it is slow and not necessarily the right type of development for the area in my opinion. The Timken site, for example, went to warehouse Rogue fitness equipment. I don’t think that will do much to garner employment in this neighborhood.

It’s more than just a warehouse (storage). It includes their manufacturing, distribution center and administrative offices. A quick look at indeed.com says that the pay ranges from $15/hr to $25/hr for warehouse workers and CNC machinists at Rogue. That’s certainly better than the minimum-wage ($8.30/hr) part-time jobs that a WalMart would have brought, which was a semi-confirmed rumored prior to the Rogue announcement.

IMHO, good paying middle-class manufacturing jobs (from a home-grown business in a high-growth sector) located in the Central City (much easier for people to get to than outside of 270) is exactly what Milo-Grogan (and Columbus as a whole) needs.

heresthecasey
    Participant

I would recommend only looking at the portion of Milo west of I-71. It will get better long before the area to the east, and has much easier access to the Short North. In addition to the new development happening at Timken, COTA’s CMAX enhanced bus service will soon be running along Cleveland Ave.

ryan883
    Participant

Milo Grogan is shit. If you want cheap, and also up and coming, try Southern Orchards instead

goldenidea
    Participant

Speaking of which what is that hideous rundown factory off of 2nd Avenue next to the train tracks? Why hasn’t it been torn down?

That rundown-looking factory is part of the Clark Grave Vault Company, a privately-held company founded in 1898, that has facilities running from E2nd Ave northward to E5th Ave on the west side of the railroad tracks.

More info:

http://www.clarkvault.com/clark/index.cfm

CivilE
    Participant

I live on the east side of Italian Village and frequently travel through Milo Grogan. I’ve witnessed apparent drug deals in broad daylight while driving through the side streets of Milo Grogan. I’d say that 740Eggy’s assessment perfectly sums up the situation. If you are interested in land speculation, I agree with Heresthecasey, that you should only consider properties west of I-71 where real development is in the works. As far as crime, there is significant violent crime in the area. A quick check of RAIDS ONLINE shows four homicide locations in the area in the past year. One location was actually a quadruple homicide (E 2nd Ave in June). There are also 19 incidents of aggravated assault in the area in the past 12 months. On the up side, there seems to be a core group of concerned and active residents who regularly post on the nextdoor.com app/website. I think there are people invested in the neighborhood, but it has a long way to go. It’s ultimately a personal decision, particularly when it comes to safety. Milo Grogan is still a “bars-on-the-windows” type of neighborhood. One person seems to think that the area has already achieved Italian Village pricing (493 E. 2nd Ave on Realtor.com) but I would guess that its another 10-15 years before Milo Grogan West of I-71 even comes close to that.

goldenidea
    Participant

Investment-wise, while Milo is indeed speculative, its proximity to the increasingly dense & expensive Short North and the reasonable distances to OSU, Columbus State, CCAD and downtown make it attractive. I agree that the areas west of I-71 are more attractive, as I-71 serves as a partial boundary. Also, the southern areas along and closer to 2nd Ave are probably more attractive than areas further north toward 5th Ave.

It seems like it would take a much, much smaller level of outside interest and investment to improve the SW Milo area than it did to turn Weinland Park. There are far fewer units in Milo than WP and little long-term program Section 8. If this premise is correct, Milo could improve even faster and more abruptly than WP did. The fact that North High Brewing and Middle West Spirits have opened operations there is a positive sign. The Milo Arts Center is also a long term “anchor” in a positive sense. I think Car-to-Go also has a facility near MW Spirits.

The impact that Rogue will have at the Timkin site is hard to predict, because there seems to have been very little detailed info released to the public on that development. Hopefully that facility will be developed so it’s not an industrial fortress that adds nothing to the neighborhood other than traffic and noise. The neighborhood sorely needs some retail businesses along Cleveland Ave that could serve its residents and increase its walkablity.

Over the past decade, I know/have known several people and even a few families living in Milo that have not had problems with crime. Like many inner city neighborhoods, if you are apart from the drug scene and are reasonably careful where you walk at night, you’re much safer than statistics might imply. With that, living in Milo you’re close to many very favorable inner city areas and locations.

BTW, imagine if a shuttle bus (free or w/fare) was set up to run from High Street to St. Clair Ave. along E 2nd Ave. That would solve walkability issues and would raise all of Milo as much more a favorable residential setting. It would also give Milo residents much better access to job opportunities in the Short North and campus areas. Additionally, it would better connect the Short North to the the Cleveland Ave transit conduit now under development.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Long ago my friend had an apartment which was a classroom in the old school when it was an artists’ colony. The restrooms were, um, not up to code.

We threw darts back then, and even though we had the throwing distance set right, the big room made it feel like the darts should have solid-propellant boosters kick in halfway to the board.

goldenidea
    Participant

I see that work on the Rogue facility on the old Timkin site is now well underway. There are two large black “Rogue” construction trailers parked at the corner of E5th & Cleveland Ave. They look pretty cool! The site is humming with earth-movers and there’s a lot materials for sewer infrastructure lying around and being installed. Also, city work to improve segments of both 5th & Cleveland Aves are nearing completion.

Has anyone seen a rendering of or plans for what Rogue is building here? It would be great if it included some kind of on-site fitness/cross-training facility that people could visit! But maybe that wouldn’t work at an industrial/warehouse site? Anyway, size-wise this resembles a mini-Grandview Yard project.

Walker, if possible please check into what’s being planned & built here and perhaps add it to your list of construction projects you periodically so nicely photo document. Wagonbrenner may have useful info. Thanks!

CivilE
    Participant

Looks like an industrial fortress to me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

goldenidea
    Participant

Looks like an industrial fortress to me.

I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case. From what I gather, the Milo Arts people are not thrilled with what’s being built across Cleveland Ave from them.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case. From what I gather, the Milo Arts people are not thrilled with what’s being built across Cleveland Ave from them.

Would they be any happier with a WalMart instead? ;)

I wonder what the working-class folks who live in the neighborhood think of the large influx in manufacturing and distribution-center jobs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: