Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Milestone 229 at The Scioto Mile

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Milestone 229 at The Scioto Mile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

shmack

i am jealous. so so jealous.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Just had my first meal at Milestone. The food was great, as was the service. But sitting outdoors at night is not something I will be doing again at this restaurant until they take care of the spider problem.

There were seemingly hundreds of spiders–of considerable size by Columbus’ standards–in the bushes and all around and above the outdoor dining area. By the time our check arrived, a number of them had begun crawling on the chairs at our table and on the tables around us. It was right out of a bad movie. Just needed David Arquette to fend them off.

cc

^ rather have the spiders than the mosquitos they are eating.

surber17
    Participant

I’ve eaten there 3 times now and went for a drink on Sat. night …… didn’t notice a spider problem. And I have to agree, I love spiders, they eat the bugs that annoy everyone.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

cc said:
    ^ rather have the spiders than the mosquitos they are eating.

True.

But for an arachnophobe like me, I’ll just stick to eating inside. The bratwurst burger will keep me comin’ back.

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

MichaelC said:
    True.

But for an arachnophobe like me, I’ll just stick to eating inside. The bratwurst burger will keep me comin’ back.

Ah, hate to break it to you, but the spiders are inside, too. My first (and only so far) time there, I was at the bar and a spider (good-sized as described previously) was lowering itself by a thread onto the crowded bar area. It def would’ve caused a freakout if it wasn’t noticed until it was on someone’s head!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Ah the watershed is vibrant with life *glowing approval*

irrational bug fears are no joke.

last night a centipede fell on me from the ceiling of a bar.

there might have been some screaming.

Cookie

Columbus Music Co-op said:
    irrational bug fears are no joke.

last night a centipede fell on me from the ceiling of a bar.

there might have been some screaming.

I would still be screaming.

cmhattemer

I called the bug folks, Ecolab, yesterday. I would love to embrace the spider and it’s benefit to society and that, but you would have to see the size and number. We tried to get one of the bussers out there to smash ‘um, but he claimed to be a Buddhist. Needless to say I have been made aware of the issue and I am on it, like a bonnet. Christian

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

cmhattemer said:
    I called the bug folks, Ecolab, yesterday. I would love to embrace the spider and it’s benefit to society and that, but you would have to see the size and number. We tried to get one of the bussers out there to smash ‘um, but he claimed to be a Buddhist. Needless to say I have been made aware of the issue and I am on it, like a bonnet. Christian

YAY! Glad you are handling it- although I don’t think a spider would keep me from getting to your food :) So glad you are cooking here in town again. Can’t wait to check the new place out. Cheers!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Milestone has a new menu! Details & photo, here:

Restaurant Roundup: Halloween Events, Autumn Events and More

News
    Participant

Food lineup at new venue almost as satisfying as view

By Jon Christensen
    For The Columbus Dispatch
    Thursday November 3, 2011 9:06 AM

The owners of the successful Columbus Brewing Company Restaurant have opened Milestone 229 in a dramatic circular building that is part of the new Scioto Mile development Downtown.

Most of the seats have good views of the Scioto River, the new park and the large circular fountain near the outdoor seating — which is being enclosed for use during cold weather.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2011/11/03/food-lineup-at-new-venue-almost-as-satisfying-as-view.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Best New Restaurant of 2011: Milestone 229:

Best New Restaurant of 2011: Milestone 229

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Finally stopped in here last night for dinner (yeah yeah, we’re loooong overdue) and had an absolute great time. I called earlier this week to set up a reservation around 7-ish, but they were booked solid unless we wanted to eat at 5:30 or 8:45. They did explain on the phone that they only book for inside seating, and outside seating doubles their capacity, so that if the weather is nice it can make it easy to get a table for a walk in. We figured we’d give it a shot and just hang out and drink cocktails for an hour if the wait was too insane.

So we arrived around 7:15 and only had to wait 10 minutes. Perfect!

Got a nice fountain-side table on the patio. Lots of kids playing in the fountains, but the noise didn’t bother us one bit. Was a really nice community atmosphere, and as others have said in this thread, the unique perspective feels very “big city” in a way that few other restaurants can provide.

For cocktails, Anne had the Peachsicle and I tried the Black & Blue Mojito. Both were excellent, and I was surprised at how large the Mojito was.

For dinner, Anne had the Sea Scallops (pan seared and served with ginger glazed carrots, lemon basmati rice, daikon slaw and sriracha butter) and I had the Sirloin (a thick center cut steak with three potato hash, skillet green beans, whiskey steak sauce and Gorgonzola butter). Both were great entrees, expertly prepared and really great flavors. One of the better “american cuisine” experiences we’ve had in recent memory.

Manager Kevin Jones found out that we were out celebrating our wedding anniversary, so he had Chef Hattemer whip up a complimentary appetizer for us comprised of shrimp, octopus, artichokes and couscous. Great refreshing way to start. They also threw in a complimentary Lemon Tart for dessert, which was also really nice of them, and a very tasty finish.

As we were leaving Anne said something along the lines of that being the best restaurant experience she’s had in a long time, and I agree. Great good, great drinks, great patio, great view and great overall ambiance. I do wish there was a second restaurant at the park that catered more to families and had more affordable lunch/dinner options… but if you do want a fine dining experience, Milestone is pretty top notch and a well rounded experience.

PS: Sorry for the lack of food photos… we were on a date, so we didn’t take any. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE