Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Messy Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Messy Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I can talk to buffalos said:
    Arguably, many of “your” neighborhoods were not “yours” to begin with. You can’t expect to change people who have been living a certain way for years. Do you think “messy neighbors” are going to disappear? Or just migrate?

So we just ignore public nuisance or, worse, public health issues?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want some Neighborhood Nazi peering over my fence and calling code enforcement because my grass is 2.4 centimeters too high because I happened to work 3 doubles that week. But if there is a legitimate health concern from piles of trash or hazards from paint, batteries and so on should it just be ignored?

SusanB
    Participant

If I knew well in advance that my neighbors were going to be messy, I would:
    A) Not move to a place where I knew ahead of time that my neighbors were going to be messy
    B) Not move there and then complain about it. For the most part, you pretty much know what you’re getting into when you move into a place (in my experience). If someone’s yard had “been like that for years,” that should be a key factor in your decision to not move into said place.

That attitude is rather elitist. Not everyone can afford to live in VV, GV, etc. It allows the city and others to ignore/downgrade services to poor neighborhoods (like when the boys of Ganthers Place were told by the police to move instead of combating their crime problem). That attitude is a varient of blaming the victim and is fairly widespread in the “tonier” areas of town. Boo.

My point is that as much as it would be dandy for everyone to do what they are supposed to do, I’m looking at this as realistically as possible. You are not going to eliminate the problem, you are only going to move it elsewhere and ruin it for someone else. Neighborhoods may change over time, but the people living in those neighborhoods don’t.

SusanB said:

If I knew well in advance that my neighbors were going to be messy, I would:
    A) Not move to a place where I knew ahead of time that my neighbors were going to be messy
    B) Not move there and then complain about it. For the most part, you pretty much know what you’re getting into when you move into a place (in my experience). If someone’s yard had “been like that for years,” that should be a key factor in your decision to not move into said place.

That attitude is rather elitist. Not everyone can afford to live in VV, GV, etc. It allows the city and others to ignore/downgrade services to poor neighborhoods (like when the boys of Ganthers Place were told by the police to move instead of combating their crime problem). That attitude is a varient of blaming the victim and is fairly widespread in the “tonier” areas of town. Boo.

It’s not elitist. There are other options. Many, many other options.

melody8786

So update…..the service request was closed two days ago. “Issue Resolved” and literally the trash from July 1st is still outside. Guess I know who I will be calling Monday morning!

christylwilliams
    Participant

Just another Tuesday morning in OTE after trash pickup.

– 311 says that garbage truck drivers aren’t allowed to get out of the truck…
    – The terrible absentee landlord (ahem Townhomes Management) says that they can’t be held responsible for their tenants’ actions…
    – The tenants never bag their trash and constantly overfill the dumpster…

So the neighbors are the ones stuck picking it up every week (I’ve seen things I’ll never unsee). I mean, is this not a society? Can the city garbage trucks just throw trash on the street and force the neighborhood to pick it up? Can shitty landlords just ignore their problem tenants? Can tenants just throw loose garbage wherever they want? It’s anarchy!

BEFORE
    Before 1
    Before 2

AFTER
    After
    After

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Do the lids on the big cans blow open in the wind? Our neighborhood has the 90-gallon cans and those lids flip up in a 30-mph wind. Then I’m cleaning the neighbors’ dryer sheets and junk mail out of my gardens, but I can’t really blame the neighbors.

Pro Se
    Participant

Not to derail Christy but, the garbage aside, you’ve got a very charming old world alley behind your home! I can certainly understand why you’d want to keep it clean.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The brick is tough to sweep clean because of the uneven surface. You could go crazy with a straight broom and dustpan, and go cleaning out the gaps row by row. You could do a perfect job of it, and need to do it again in a week or two.

rory
    Participant

I’d call 311 and request more dumpsters. It cuts way down on the overspill. Our trash guy said he likes half-filled dumpsters because they don’t spill all over the street. If there are more dumpsters people can’t/don’t fill them as full. It works in our neighborhood even when people don’t bag the stuff.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

That video is nuts. I wish you the best of luck. Only a true degenerate would treat their neighborhood like that.

Rusty1
    Rusty1
    Participant

Glad something is being done.

christylwilliams
    Participant

Spoke at length to a staff member at Refuse Department today. He confirmed that it’s been an ongoing problem on that corner for a long time and I’m not the only one who’s complained. He said the property owner whose tenants aren’t following the rules will be held responsible, which is music to my ears, actually. No more free passes to absentee slumlords who don’t live anywhere near here and could care less what happens.

On a side note, I’ve been thinking about a neighborhood-wide initiative to transition OTE & FP from dumpsters to cans.
    – Single family homes getting the large cans
    – Apartments of 4 or less getting a small can per unit
    – Apartments of 4+ requiring a dedicated dumpster for

I understand there are positives and negatives to both. I’d be very interested in feedback from the CU community on pros and cons to cans vs dumpsters.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I would like the city to ask their workers to take initiative and call in the bulk pickups when they see them. They are the ones who are seeing the trash by dumpsters every week, after all. Why can’t people actually care about stuff? I’m sure they have radios on their trucks, why can’t they just radio it in?

We have an apartment building by our house and it has a dumpster. We have random people coming and just dumping their crap next to the dumpster (they never put it in!) and leaving it sit. This crap will sit and sit until I go put it in the dumpster or call it in. I guess people are just afraid to touch it? ??

A mattress was dumped over the summer and it took 5 (FIVE!!!) weeks for the 311 line to get it picked up. Disgusting.

Thank you Christy for being a caring neighborhood person who picks shit up. I wish the neighborhood didn’t require a person cleaning up after other adults.

Pro Se
    Participant

I like the big cans in my alley Christy. They help with my own large/awkward/excessive garbage from time to time.

I’ve picked up my share of garbage in the neighborhood as well (East High students do their fair share of littering) but my thinking is you need another can to stop the overflow. I’m not surprised at the mess that was made given your before pictures. Maybe more cans will spread the use. Of course, it may have the opposite effect of encouraging more illegal dumping (as there will be more space) but you can see how it plays out.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE