Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Idea: Relocating Crew Stadium to the Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Idea: Relocating Crew Stadium to the Arena District

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 135 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

The south side of downtown/German Village could use a little soccer stadium love…the arena district is doing just fine with baseball, hockey, and concerts…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

tree_sketcher said:
    I guess, though they would essentially be giving up all use of the property as if they sold it. I personally think building a new stadium in another neighborhood other than the AD would be worth exploring for the same reasons of trying to leverage development/revitalization. I guess i just dont see any other use of that property as long as the state fair is there because of parking needs, logistical stuff, etc. It would be a great location for new future mixed-use development though.

Does the State of Ohio have long-term land use needs in that location? Or would the promise of a multi-hundred-million-dollar urban economic development project be enough to justify selling or leasing the property?

The State Fair does need the parking spaces, and they are highly used during other events as well (OSU Games, Quarterhorse Congress, etc) which is why keeping some parking intact (or adding additional parking capacity) in the form of parking garages would make total sense for that area.

Just my 2 cents, of course. ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Building around the site is definately something that should be considered. There’s plenty of room for improvement. However, I would still like to see a new stadium in the Brewery District at some point.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Im not sure the BD is right for the Crew. When I think BD i think quiet and warm. No soccer. (Arena District)

jus10dk
    Participant

Exciting to see the discussion still taking place (and semi-short-term)…

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2013/03/crew-president-mark-mccullers-discusses-possibilities-crew-stadium

jus10dk
    Participant

Exciting to see the discussion still taking place (and semi-short-term)…not necessarily in the AD, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this.

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2013/03/crew-president-mark-mccullers-discusses-possibilities-crew-stadium

Mod-dude
    Participant

Personally, I like the stadium where it is. Why do we have to put all of our eggs in one basket by moving it to the Arena District? I happen to think it is in a fine Central location. I also agree with creating a more vibrant developed area around it. Come to think of it, that area is probably really ripe for some serious redevelopment and that Stadium there could be a great catalyst for that.

It sometimes seems as though some on here are short sighted in the cause and effect relationship of what people want to see changed. Take the Stadium out of it’s current area to make the Arena District better, but only at the detriment of the neighborhood it sits in now. Hudson Ave is not far at all from Downtown, and there are several ways to get there, not just 71 North.

If we put all of our eggs in one basket, then what do we use to redevelop other neighborhoods? If a hot new neighborhood like East Franklinton starts really going, do we then say,’We should move everything that is good out of that old Arena District and put it in East Franklinton?.’ I say, move things when it makes sense, but moving the perfectly fine Crew stadium doesn’t make sense to me at all.

buckette13

There was an issue about job poaching between counties in Ohio. I also wonder about ‘amenity poaching’ as a tool for development in Columbus. I think the idea came up with the Mayor and Jim Sweeney actively seeking out the Idea Foundry and moving them from the depressed Milo Grogan area to a building bought with public funds in Franklinton. It was a key feature in the State of the City of Franklinton’s further growth and development.

Some good things can come from relocating amenities, but if you take from Peter to pay Paul – you have to take into consideration what you have gained in total and what becomes of Peter.

buckette13

rory said:
    But if they put condos in Ohio Village so people could live in 1860 world retail and restaurants would follow. It worked back then imagine if they had had soccer too,

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I think the site it’s currently at is problematic because of the lack of available land to redevelop nearby. It seems unlikely that the state will say goodbye to any of the land surrounding the stadium. The timkin site could be an interesting possibility.

dru
    Participant

If you look at the locations of the newer stadiums that get mentioned as the competition – KC, Dallas, etc… – they are completely non-urban. They also came with significant public financing from their suburban locations (the burb of Frisco actually owns FC Dallas Stadium). i don’t think Columbus, in the immediate shadow of the CBJ deal is going to come through with public financing for this. I’d say be careful what you wish for, because New Albany or Delaware seems more likely than downtown.

heresthecasey
    Participant

I agree that a renovation of Crew Stadium in its current location could be a larger boon and catalyst for development in the surrounding area, then would happen by moving it to downtown/AD. The mass of vacant and paved lots surrounding the stadium alone could be the site of a quite large, very urban new neighborhood development (Jeffrey Place-esque in scale, even).

Consolidating parking for nearby attractions (Crew, OHS, Expo Ctr) into structured garages, and possibly adding pedestrian connections across the railroad tracks and 71 to 4th, Summit the campus and Linden areas would help immensely at both densifying this area and tying it into the actual city.

I think the immediate area here has immense potential and the Crew would be an excellent anchor for any development. It really would be a shame and a missed opportunity if they jumped ship for downtown or somewhere else.

flinn2002

I disagree with all the above. I think moving the stadium downtown or around the downtown makes more sense to have all the cities athletic teams in and around the same area. It gives another reason for people to come downtown which is needed for sure. If we want the downtown area to flourish more which we should then we need more things to draw people downtown. As for going to the burbs that a ridiculous idea just what the city doesn’t need is more suburban sprawl. Also as for developing around the existing crew stadium doesn’t make sense. There is really no draw to that area of the city anyway.
    Bring the crew downtown!!!!!!!

jbcmh81
    Participant

Mod-dude said:
    Personally, I like the stadium where it is. Why do we have to put all of our eggs in one basket by moving it to the Arena District? I happen to think it is in a fine Central location. I also agree with creating a more vibrant developed area around it. Come to think of it, that area is probably really ripe for some serious redevelopment and that Stadium there could be a great catalyst for that.

It sometimes seems as though some on here are short sighted in the cause and effect relationship of what people want to see changed. Take the Stadium out of it’s current area to make the Arena District better, but only at the detriment of the neighborhood it sits in now. Hudson Ave is not far at all from Downtown, and there are several ways to get there, not just 71 North.

If we put all of our eggs in one basket, then what do we use to redevelop other neighborhoods? If a hot new neighborhood like East Franklinton starts really going, do we then say,’We should move everything that is good out of that old Arena District and put it in East Franklinton?.’ I say, move things when it makes sense, but moving the perfectly fine Crew stadium doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Regardless of whether or not the Crew stays where they are, the stadium could still be used as a focalpoint for local development… although the fact that that hasn’t really occurred in over a decade since the Crew has been there kind of defeats that argument somewhat.

wpcc88
    Participant

I don’t see a problem at all with it’s current location. It is actually a catalyst for attracting bigger names to the concerts during fair season. I do however agree that something needs to be done with the historical society building and area. I would think some sort of hotel development would be ideal for the attractions in that location ie the fair, concerts and car show. Some sort of parking stucture too would be ideal because of the spill over to the south end of the fairgrounds for parking is almost disastrous.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 135 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.