Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Idea: Relocating Crew Stadium to the Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Idea: Relocating Crew Stadium to the Arena District

This topic contains 134 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  mbeaumont 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Another concurrence with pushing for this to be adjacent to Vets Memorial alongside a bevy of new development, a la Washington Nationals stadium and the new surrounding condos, offices, shops, etc.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

One one hand, I lean towards the Arena District on the grounds that having a new Crew Stadium there could result in achieving “critical mass” for that area in terms of being a destination for big ticket entertainment (outdoor and indoor concerts) as well as restaurants, etc. However, I do also see strong value in relocating Crew Stadium to the same area as Vets Memorial and COSI, in that it could, if done right, provide a major shot in the arm for energy, interest and development in the Franklinton area. I’d love to see what this could look like.

I’m really not much of a fan of the current site for all of the aforementioned reasons. The 17th and 4th area definitely needs a major reinvestment and a massive, sustained graffiti cleanup and enforcement effort (it is pretty ugly), but even that won’t change the fact that the current stadium is simply poorly accessible from all directions. Plus, a major stadium should be somewhere at or very near the heart of a city, not detached from it on the fringes, even if there is an Interstate highway running adjacent to it.

GeorgeFox

Why not improve access to the existing one? I hate having it in my backyard but before we abandon it, let’s try to make it work…

If I’m not mistaken, Crew Stadium is only 10-12 years old and they need a new one? I like Walker’s idea. If I were playing Sim City, I would put in exactly the same place. Again, I have a lot of trouble justifying a brand new stadium for an organization that isn’t selling out the one they have now…and would they sell out if they were downtown? Who knows. The Clippers have had success, but again, who knows.

Again, I like the idea, but it comes back to how do we pay for it and what services will suffer as a result. We did just go to the voters to increase taxes last year because of potential fire and police layoffs. Not sure asking the voters to build a new stadium 12 years after the old one was completed is responsible.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

GeorgeFox wrote >>
    Why not improve access to the existing one? I hate having it in my backyard but before we abandon it, let’s try to make it work…
    If I’m not mistaken, Crew Stadium is only 10-12 years old and they need a new one? I like Walker’s idea. If I were playing Sim City, I would put in exactly the same place. Again, I have a lot of trouble justifying a brand new stadium for an organization that isn’t selling out the one they have now…and would they sell out if they were downtown? Who knows. The Clippers have had success, but again, who knows.
    Again, I like the idea, but it comes back to how do we pay for it and what services will suffer as a result. We did just go to the voters to increase taxes last year because of potential fire and police layoffs. Not sure asking the voters to build a new stadium 12 years after the old one was completed is responsible.

Would be interesting to see how much private investment it could attract.

Im all for placing it over by Vets Memorial and establishing the condo development. Hopefully it would be open to the whole Fton community and embrace the Fton area. the footbridge is already in the works so I feel like this project is already being developed quietly. lol

colrex7

I definitely think when they decide to build a new stadium, they should put it in Franklinton by Vets Memorial. It could really compliment the area, especially if the peninsula gets developed the way its supposed to under the New Downtown Plan. https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/downtown-2010-plan-idea-11-scioto-peninsula-development

Lakee911
    Participant

jimbach wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

How would that work? I’m not trying to be argumentative, but this is something about which I’ve given a great deal of thought, and I don’t know what can be done, practically speaking. I suppose the easiest thing would be cutting a path to the railroad tracks at some point, and building a footbridge over it. But such a bridge would, by necessity, have to be really high for the trains to pass under it.
    Another idea would be to clean up the area along 17th Avenue from 4th Street to the entrance to the parking lot. That area is a serious eyesore, and walking through it is really unpleasant. You’d also have to improve pedestrian walkways to the stadium, since currently the sidewalks are sporadic at best when walking by the campground area.
    But I’d be curious to see what other people suggest, as I think about this every time I walk to and from a match and haven’t come up with anything I consider workable.

I was on my cell phone when I posted that so I couldn’t post much. These comments are just off the cuff without too much time to think about them. We’re just brainstorming here though, right?

I know that practicality trumps all, so in lieu of some wild ass plan (such as lowering the tracks, or retouting them), I would propose cutting in access *underneith* the tracks to allow one to pass through. I’ve not driven that area in a while, but off of the top of my head I would think every couple blocks or so would be good.

Wouldn’t these tracks be used for 3C? If so, train station in the area could bring in some new peeps.

Another thing that could be done is to put grade crossing at 17th at the fairgrounds so that traffic goes under and people go over it. I think that the area is so hurt because every event that comes in closes the road. It’s randomly cut-off and no one can depend on using it.

On that same note, I think that having the fairgrounds there hurts the area. It’s just dead space if there isn’t an event going on. And, how often does an event at grand proportions come through to fill the entire area? Less than half a dozen times per year I would guess.

There are some industrial spaces nearby that could make room for some lofts or shopping. I think it’s by in large a pretty isolated area so if we improve access and bring in some things to do, it would help.

I see similar problems here such as at Polaris for concerts. While it might make a decent venue (I guess, I’ve not been), its in the City so the noise is an issue. No one wants to hear the noise if he/she is trying to sleep.

anillo
    Participant

They did say in the next 5-10 years, which would put the current stadium around or over 2 decades old (still fairly young as far as venues go, but older than 10). Also, I’m assuming (since this is pretty much all pure speculation) they wouldn’t just tear down the old one, it’d get some use and be around for a while longer. It seems to me (without actually looking up any statistics) that soccer is slowly gaining popularity in the US, so who knows, in a decade or so it may be evident that the stadium needs to be moved and when it is moved, it will be selling out fairly often. The MLS is expanding as of late, so on those notes moving it could be advantageous in attracting more World Cup qualifier matches, or hosting another all star game.

Wickham

I always thought the ideal place for the Crew stadium is in the Brewery district. The area has the vibe for soccer and I think enough space south of the split on the Whittier Peninsula where the warehouse currently is.

As for the idea of putting it next to Vets Memorial I prefer the ideas that came out during the last downtown planning sessions about making that whole Scioto Peninsula area museum and educational attractions along with the condos.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Isn’t the Whittier Peninsula a nature reserve now? I thought all (or at least most) of those warehouses were getting razed for the birds!! :)

CMHflyer
    Participant

MLSsoccer.com posted a brief interview with Crew president and GM Mark McCullers regarding talk of a new stadium:

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2010/08/crew-president-talks-columbus-stadium-plans

CMHflyer
    Participant

Jog anyone’s memory? This was the schematic drawn up when a ballot was placed to build both a new hockey and soccer stadium on the site of the old penitentiary back in 1999, I believe.

MFRONE
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>

It would be hard to do for the Crew considering they don’t own any of the land that the stadium is on. It’s all leased to the Crew by the state of Ohio.

It took how long to just get part of the parking lot paved? Anything major would probably take the state decades to approve (and get the funding for).

GeorgeFox

GeorgeFox wrote >>

Would be interesting to see how much private investment it could attract.

You mean free to us??? In that case, build it!

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

Not sure what will happen, but I love the Crew and would go much more often (buy season tickets again) if the new stadium was in the AD. I like Crew Stadium, but as several have said, you pretty much are forced to drive there.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: