Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Melt Bar & Grilled in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Melt Bar & Grilled in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I went during an off-time (pretty late Sunday) and didn’t have any wait at all.

To be honest though I don’t get the hype… everyone at my table had a big pile of greasy slop and I just felt more and more gross as ate it. The place is like a classed up PJ’s, only I’ve enjoyed sandwiches I’ve gotten at PJ’s more than this. Nice beer list though, so it could still be a good place to go for appetizers and drinks. I don’t think I’ll ever be back for dinner though.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I went for the first time during lunch on Monday and I honestly was not impressed with the food either. I ordered the Monte Cristo. I was only able to eat half of it and felt like total hell the rest of the evening throwing up!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    felt like total hell the rest of the evening throwing up!

You should report that to them. If it was some sort of food poisoning they should know so they can retrace the steps and try to find the cause.

News
    Participant

Melt Bar & Grilled Expanding To Easton Gateway
    June 2, 2014 4:07 pm — Walker Evans

Popular Cleveland-based grilled cheese palace Melt Bar & Grilled has taken Columbus by storm. Their Short North location opened only seven short months ago, and the restaurant has remained regularly crowded by fans of gargantuan sandwiches and the hip ambiance that can be found within.

Today, Melt has announced a second Columbus location that will be going into the new Easton Gateway center, which is also home to new Costco, Whole Foods, Dick’s Sporting Goods, REI and other bigger-box stores.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/melt-bar-grilled-expanding-to-easton-gateway

Achekov
    Participant

This is great! now I can spend an hour waiting in line and another hour to get food while I’m in the mall. This could save me a fortune in avoided impulse purchases.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It’s like they filled a magic 8-ball with shitty topping suggestions then created a menu with a bunch of shakes.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

<cite>Stephen43215 said:</cite><br>
    felt like total hell the rest of the evening throwing up!

You should report that to them. If it was some sort of food poisoning they should know so they can retrace the steps and try to find the cause.

Usually food poisoning that acts that quickly within a few hours is staphylococcus. It’s caused by improper food handling and storage and employees not washing their hands.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is great! now I can spend an hour waiting in line and another hour to get food while I’m in the mall. This could save me a fortune in avoided impulse purchases.

It’s not going in the mall.

scorpcmh
    Participant

Just noticed this thread. Relieved others were unimpressed too. Bad service, bad food. My friend from out of town got very ill later that night with symptoms described above. I don’t usually just post negatives, but I am baffled by this place.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Never been to Melt…doubt I ever will.

amazinga37
    amazinga37
    Participant

I went during an off-time (pretty late Sunday) and didn’t have any wait at all.

To be honest though I don’t get the hype… everyone at my table had a big pile of greasy slop and I just felt more and more gross as ate it. The place is like a classed up PJ’s, only I’ve enjoyed sandwiches I’ve gotten at PJ’s more than this. Nice beer list though, so it could still be a good place to go for appetizers and drinks. I don’t think I’ll ever be back for dinner though.

I totally agree with you! I felt gross while I was eating mine too. It was just so greasy and wet, if you can even call a sandwich wet. I couldn’t even eat half of mine! I am amazed that people are so into it. One and done for me.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

I got a stomach ache there, but I wouldn’t describe it as food poisoning. I would describe it more as indigestion from eating too much glop and drinking too much beer. But that’s kind of the point at this place, isn’t it?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I don’t mind it. I wouldn’t go a lot because it’s way to much heavy food.. but once a year I can get down with a messy massive sandwich with a bunch of stuff I like separately all mashed together.

geoyui
    Participant

But that’s kind of the point at this place, isn’t it?

Agree. I felt relatively fine afterwards, but I went in expecting a really heavy, greasy, cheesy meal. What helped afterwards was walking around the short north. Hopping directly into my car to go home would have wreaked havoc on my system.

Based on pictures, after eating at Melt, I’m more interested in Tom+Chee Hilliard. Seems to be a smaller, less greasy sandwich (if that’s possible).

patient_zero
    Participant

I had the fried green tomato blt with house fries. The fries were crispy and brown and very good. The blt was smothered in a southern herb romulade that dominated the entire sandwich, tasted more like a spicy mustard sauce than southern herb. Great beer selection with many options. Free tastings (listen up Michele @ SJT!)
    I felt VERY full all evening. My gullet was full, no question.
    Slipped right in during the “witching hour”, the time between lunch and dinner. Immediately greeted and offered beer samples, got a pint quickly. Service slowed and was less attentive as service was handed off to an incoming server. A lot of chatter amongst servers drawing attention from the non staff guests that were there. Staff guests received a lot of attention, too. Typical “witching hour” behavior in a lot of establishments unfortunately. Service was warm and genuine, but spotty.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER