Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Megabus - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Megabus – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Megabus.com having jolly holiday

By Marla Matzer Rose

The Columbus Dispatch

Saturday December 24, 2011 7:37 AM

With higher airfares and gasoline prices, the discount bus service Megabus.com says it’s experiencing a double-digit increase in ridership this holiday season compared with a year ago. In Columbus, the company says it’s carrying about 21 percent more passengers this month compared with December 2010, not including customers on the route to Pittsburgh that was added in May.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/24/megabus-com-having-jolly-holiday.html

catnfiddle
    Participant

I keep hoping they’ll expand their routes or offer transfers to the east coast. I’d absolutely take this option over flying to Philadelphia or New York City.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Do they have somewhere on their website to find their cheapest fares? They advertise $1 fares but I certainly can’t find any. Prices still seem good, just wondering how to find the ridiculously good prices they suggest?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think it’s like the Skybus model. First X number of seats on each trip go for $1 each. We got $1 tickets to Pittsburgh this summer since I bought them the morning they went on sale.

I imagine they might have an email newsletter or something that you can subscribe to for alerts on when the tickets go on sale?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker said:
    I think it’s like the Skybus model.

So buy your tickets now?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heh. Only the discount ticket element. Hopefully their business model is a little more solid. They’ve been around since 2003 and have been expanding and growing, so hopefully they’ll be around longer. ;)

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker said:
    Heh. Only the discount ticket element. Hopefully their business model is a little more solid. They’ve been around since 2003 and have been expanding and growing, so hopefully they’ll be around longer. ;)

I know a LOT of people of all walks of life who use Megabus, so I agree, its a great plan. I can’t do buses though, they just don’t fit me.

cc

I like Megabus. It is really only practical for the direct connection routes but I wish there were more of them. Probably keeping it simple is what keeps it profitable.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

cc said:
    I like Megabus. It is really only practical for the direct connection routes but I wish there were more of them. Probably keeping it simple is what keeps it profitable.

Yeah, no refunds, no ticket counter folk, limits on amount, size, and weight of luggage. It can be less $ than Greyhound, but not always. And I can bring my bike in a box with Greyhound.

Taking my bike apart and reassembling it at my destination is a sort of mediation that has seemed to enhance my visits to Pittsburgh and DC. My bike is a prosthesis as well as a luggage cart, and even, with a bit of poetic license, a mobile home.

It’s a spiritual thing in a godless, this-is-all-there-is kind of way.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I know a LOT of people of all walks of life who use Megabus, so I agree, its a great plan. I can’t do buses though, they just don’t fit me.

Actually, one of the reasons I value traveling via Greyhound is that some walks of life don’t use it for fear of rubbing elbows with those scary people sitting at the back of the bus, reading over their recipes for how to cook clean-cut kids from ‘good families.’

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

catnfiddle said:
    I keep hoping they’ll expand their routes or offer transfers to the east coast. I’d absolutely take this option over flying to Philadelphia or New York City.

Megabus goes from Columbus to Pittsburgh and from Pittsburgh to NYC

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Actually, one of the reasons I value traveling via Greyhound is that some walks of life don’t use it for fear of rubbing elbows with those scary people sitting at the back of the bus, reading over their recipes for how to cook clean-cut kids from ‘good families.’

You’re such a classist.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    You’re such a classist.

I think you mean that it’s classist of someone such as me to be sort of preOccupied with material status—not in the sense of looking down on those with less, but in the sense—hang in there as I creep further out on a linguistic limb—- of looking down on those I assume to be looking down on those who they assume have less material wealth.

If so…good point, Core Models. If I’m preOccupied with class, that is in its own way, another ism with which I prevent myself from more effectively working with folk in our communities.

Good correction. By the way, what does ‘Core Models’ mean ? Is that the elite cadre of models that the industry calls upon for doing the most challenging and most important fashion shows ?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I enjoyed riding Megabus. Didn’t necessarily enjoy that people were taking up two seats all over the place (SURE…..They PROBABLY paid for BOTH! …RIGHT). But I would take it again.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Good correction. By the way, what does ‘Core Models’ mean ? Is that the elite cadre of models that the industry calls upon for doing the most challenging and most important fashion shows ?

It was my modeling and talent agency that the economy put the brakes on for now. And yes, we booked models for the things you speak of. You may look into AFTRA or SAG before you get too upset, as they are actually unions that work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION