Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Media Matters asks if the Dispatch is in the tank for Kasich

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Media Matters asks if the Dispatch is in the tank for Kasich

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

dirtgirl
    Participant

New story today from Media Matters examining the Dispatch company’s ownership of most media outlets in Columbus and publisher’s political ties to GOP, specifically Kasich.

Major GOP Donor Gaining Monopoly Control Over Crucial Media Market

Blog ››› JOE STRUPP

Quote:
    The conservative Columbus Dispatch has long been a force in local and state politics in Ohio. But in recent years, the newspaper’s parent company has become a virtual media monopoly in Ohio’s largest city and state capital, controlling not only the daily newspaper, but two radio stations, a television outlet and a long list of other weekly, monthly, and regional news sources.

“It’s a one-newspaper town,” said Dominick Cappa, editor of Columbus Business First, one of the few local publications not owned by the Dispatch. “They have the TV station, a radio station. Are they powerful? Hell yeah they’re powerful because they have those outlets.”

[Read more at http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/07/08/major-gop-donor-gaining-monopoly-control-over-c/194753%5D

I thought it could have been stronger, specifically looking at how the editorial page has been used to push the publisher’s anti-union and pro-Kasich agenda, but still nice to see.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by how critical the Dispatch has been of Kasich. Admittedly I’m grading on a curve, but I thought they were relatively aggressive on stories such as the JobsOhio funds grab. Maybe my expectations are just way low…

Schoolboy
    Participant

The Dispatch has been blasted quite a bit over the past few elections over its political affiliations. In the last couple of years I’ve seen it try to balance itself out more and more.

That being said, most “news” sources are political biased. So I’m not entirely sure what the real issue is. The whole free press system is pretty much broken, and has been for some time.

dirtgirl
    Participant

You could distinguish between the reporting and the editorial page. Reporters have done a good job of covering the controversies around JobsOhio, including Joe Vardon uncovering secret grant funds transferred from the Development Department to the nonprofit, which ultimately led to the fight over records with the state auditor.

But the editorial page has failed to say anything about the secrecy of how the agency is spending what amounts to $125 million in taxpayer money every year without oversight. Every other paper in the state has said that should be considered public money and its use subject to investigation by the State Auditor.

What I found the height of hilariousness was how the paper was fully behind the SB5 anti-union efforts in 2011 when Kasich was on board, but this year when GOP legislators introduced right to work bills, they opined that now was not the right time to push the measures because they would — I’m not lying — distract from Kasich’s other successes. It just seems the editorial page’s bottom line is getting Kasich reelected, consistent ideology be damned.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

dirtgirl said:
    But the editorial page has failed to say anything about the secrecy of how the agency is spending what amounts to $125 million in taxpayer money every year without oversight. Every other paper in the state has said that should be considered public money and its use subject to investigation by the State Auditor.

It’s fair to call this piece overly deferential to Kasich, but you can’t claim they didn’t say anything:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/06/02/1-jobsohio-dangles-100-million-worth-of-temptation.html

Twixlen
    Participant

They were/are definitely in the tank over the abortion issues – it was hardly mentioned before the budget was signed, and if mentioned, done so in a way that seemed to deliberately minimize the impact of those pieces of legislation.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Schoolboy said:

That being said, most “news” sources are political biased. So I’m not entirely sure what the real issue is. The whole free press system is pretty much broken, and has been for some time.

The problem here is that while most news sources have political bias, there is an offsetting collection of them in most cities. Here, the Dispatch owns all of them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    The problem here is that while most news sources have political bias, there is an offsetting collection of them in most cities. Here, the Dispatch owns all of them.

Columbus Free Press still a thing?

Along those lines, is it just that people buy what the dispatch is selling?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

rus said:
    Columbus Free Press still a thing?

Along those lines, is it just that people buy what the dispatch is selling?

I think its beyond that, when you purchase and then immediately shut down your competition.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I think its beyond that, when you purchase and then immediately shut down your competition.

You mean the other paper, right?

I see what you’re saying, but at the same time if you don’t want people to buy it don’t sell it.

ETA: Put another way, what’s stopping someone from offering a competing product?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

rus said:
    You mean the other paper, right?

I see what you’re saying, but at the same time if you don’t want people to buy it don’t sell it.

ETA: Put another way, what’s stopping someone from offering a competing product?

Probably the same thing that would prevent anyone from trying to enter a market against an existing monopoly, assured failure.

Dispatch owns, what, the main paper, This Week (purchased and killed competitors Suburban News Publications), Alive (and killed direct competitor Other Paper), Columbus Monthly, Columbus Bride, Columbus CEO, radio (AM & FM), TV…

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

rus said:

Most people that would be interested in news media don’t have access to the capital it would require to start up and maintain a new newspaper from scratch today. Those that actually do have the capital are likely put off by steadily declining readership and shrinking profit margins, and would rather invest in something far more lucrative.

GCrites80s
    Participant

You also gotta look at the demographics of people who still get the paper. They are on average older and more suburban/semi-rural who tend to like Kasich anyway. They’d get cranky and dump the paper if it was a left-a-thon. Yet the Left probably wouldn’t start getting the paper if it moved to the left.

rus
    rus
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    Most people that would be interested in news media don’t have access to the capital it would require to start up and maintain a new newspaper from scratch today. Those that actually do have the capital are likely put off by steadily declining readership and shrinking profit margins, and would rather invest in something far more lucrative.

Quite possible that it wouldn’t be profitable.

At the same time, I don’t see that the dispatch can limit others from reporting on current events or limit who can publish what, especially online.

Still, most people get their news from tv and there is some diversity there, yes?

myliftkk
    Participant

It’s quite possible to build an adversarial news reporting media company in the digital domain without incurring the extensive capital needed to create a printed sheet of material. There’s obviously a demand for one, as the Other Paper wouldn’t have been worth buying otherwise, but it’s takes a certain type of individual(s) to successfully run one.

I don’t see the Dispatch’s eliminating of competition any different than what most of the newspaper industry has tried over the last decade to put off the writing on the wall. They are a dying business vertical where the limited usefulness of a physicial paper product for conveying information has moved well past it’s peak. Their past margins were based entirely on monopolies of things such as classifieds. In some respects, trying to recapture a short term monopoly in print only highlights that they have no plan for what comes after, when they are saddled with ever rising costs and an existing business structure based on a fat margins of decades long past.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: