Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

McCasky's Grille

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining McCasky's Grille

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

billbix

groundrules said:
    damn, that’s gotta suck pretty hard to sink almost a mil into an endeavor that lasts like, what, three months?

You aren’t kidding:

McClusky and partner Brian Fuhrer are opening McCasky’s in the former Handke’s Cuisine location at 520 S. Front St.

They spent six months remodeling the 8,542-square-foot restaurant.

The venture was expected to open three months ago but the kitchen ventilation hood system had to be brought up to code and a federal small business loan fell through.

So, McClusky and Fuhrer opted for private funding.

“I think we’re doing it right, taking our time,” McClusky said.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2013/02/05/tabletalk.html

susank

Ouch…and that place was empty for a LONG time. I hope they find a buyer soon.

groundrules
    Participant

Just assuming they had 800k in it, which is probably low, that means it cost them about 6 dollars a minute to stay open.

cbus11

susank said:
    Ouch…and that place was empty for a LONG time. I hope they find a buyer soon.

It could be a turnkey purchase for someone with the right concept and menu. Unfortunately that is a lot of $$$ for the Brewery District.

susank

groundrules said:
    Just assuming they had 800k in it, which is probably low, that means it cost them about 6 dollars a minute to stay open.

We went at lunch once and there were only two other tables besides us. Just paying employees would have been hard.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Mercurius hit the nail on the head. Menus from Max and Ermas, TGIFridays, hell Chile’s are more sophisticated than the pos McClaskey’s owners came up with. I’m kind of glad it was a collosal failure. It helps teach a lesson that we CBussers may be two coasts behind the times just like Indianapolis and Peoria, (dressing like a fucking hipster still cuts it around here) but we are not as dumb as the folks in Scranton PA.

leftovers

The chef was from Gibby’s. I don’t recall people having a problem with that menu as Appleby’s or Rusty Bucket-ish as it was.

susank

leftovers said:
    The chef was from Gibby’s. I don’t recall people having a problem with that menu as Appleby’s or Rusty Bucket-ish as it was.

I think the location, history of the space and decor played into some people’s expectations. I personally did not have a problem with the food though it did not stand out. It felt like an out of sorts sports bar, imho. It would have worked as a neighborhood pub restaurant but I think the owners were looking for more.

Mack741
    Participant

And coming soon: Two Caterers, Panera and White Rabbit.

Where is Panera going to be?

DavidF
    Participant

Mack741 said:

And coming soon: Two Caterers, Panera and White Rabbit.

Where is Panera going to be?

The old Clarmont location. Another treasure lost.

Asta

So some well-meaning people sink almost a million dollars into an otherwise unoccupied empty space, and people cheer its demise. Mercurius, I’m sure CUers will be the first to know when you open the Platonic Ideal of a restaurant.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Asta said:
    people cheer its demise

Which thread is that?

Asta

Oh I knew someone would ask that. It’s right here:

FSonicSmith said:
    Mercurius hit the nail on the head. Menus from Max and Ermas, TGIFridays, hell Chile’s are more sophisticated than the pos McClaskey’s owners came up with. I’m kind of glad it was a collosal failure. It helps teach a lesson that we CBussers may be two coasts behind the times just like Indianapolis and Peoria, (dressing like a fucking hipster still cuts it around here) but we are not as dumb as the folks in Scranton PA.

leftovers

Yeah it sucks that they went under so fast. I hope they are able to bounce back and find something that works out. It takes a lot of guts to put your money where your mouth is and they did that.

Asta

Also per Mercurius:

My hopes were someone with reverence for this space (and the chef that bore its namesake) would continue the innovation and sophistication of Handke’s; alas.

… Someone like Asa Rodriguez? Hand-chosen by Handke? Who valiantly tried to continue the Handke’s legacy in the same space, but failed? (find “encore” in the closed restaurant file)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE