Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

McCasky's Grille

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining McCasky's Grille

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

cbus11 said:
    Liked it the one time I dropped in. I think that would be a record if it closed that soon. I imagine the rent couldn’t have been crazy high and there are residents and businesses close by.

No record, the former Banana Bean/Strip Club/Sports Bar/etc. etc. etc. has had like 3 restaurants in that space for under 90 days each.

cbus11

I stand corrected. Forgot all about that succession. I am still surprised by this quick demise.

johnwashere
    Participant

I took a tour of the place and it looked like they put a lot of money into the restaurant. I went by a week before memorial day during lunch and they were pretty busy. Im hoping the owner is just on vacation and maybe opening back up soon.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

If the owner is stupid enough to close his restaurant so he can go on a vacation 6 months after opening, if they do open back up it won’t be for long.

billbix

Bummer. It was nice to see new restaurants instead of law offices coming to the Brewery District. From what I hear they borrowed a lot of money for that.

joev
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    No record, the former Banana Bean/Strip Club/Sports Bar/etc. etc. etc. has had like 3 restaurants in that space for under 90 days each.

That still makes me sad.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

billbix said:
    Bummer. It was nice to see new restaurants instead of law offices coming to the Brewery District.

Well, on the bright side, you still have Frezno, Double Happiness, CBC, Backstage Bistro, T. Murray’s, Chipotle, Tony’s, First Watch, Claddagh, High Beck and some pretty good options inside Kroger.

And coming soon: Two Caterers, Panera and White Rabbit.

So all hope is not lost.

johnwashere
    Participant

I just messaged them on FB and got this reply:
    “We are taking a step back to evaluate our business. Our management team and our owner are trying to decide the next step for the business. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you soon.”

billbix

I hope they reopen. I think the Brewery District suffers from a lack of foot traffic but hopefully that will change as more places open. Ir is getting better.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So… Miriam reviewed McCasky’s… and then it closed the next day. Here’s the review anyway! ;)

———-

Restaurant Review: McCasky’s Grille
    Published on June 12, 2013 11:00 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

Now that the weather has gotten nice and al fresco dining is all-the-rage, it’s time for contrarians to head indoors. In fact, dining indoors in a basement is about as contrary as you can get right now. And if that basement is a casual grill that once housed a fancy Zagat dining institution: trifecta of discordance.

Enter McCasky’s Grill. It set up shop a few months ago at the Front street address that once housed the hallowed Handke’s Cuisine. It’s nothing like Handke’s – and that’s okay.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-review-mccaskys-grille-ma1

Mercurius
    Participant

People, there are experts out there to consult with, if you’re looking to open up a business. Many will do it for free (like me)-because they want to see you succeed. Onward and upward former Handke’s space.

Mercurius said:
    I should have offered constructive criticism, rather than just poopooing the menu. I had high expectations for this space–one of the warmest and most romantic spaces in Columbus. My hopes were someone with reverence for this space (and the chef that bore its namesake) would continue the innovation and sophistication of Handke’s; alas.

My immediate impression was the menu must have been inspired by Applebee’s®, written by the same crack team at General Mills® who produce Betty Crocker® and targeted towards a specific demographic of 13 year old boys. Not only must they be 13 years old and male–but in addition, not yet reached puberty, who fraught with a combination of horn and jealousy of their seemingly amazonian peers, will try anything to grow. Most of the menu is beyond tired–but dated. Now more specifics from this menu:

For me, it’s not that it’s safe but rather it looks to have come from a cookbook from the 1970s. (e.g. boursin Sauce, pommery sauce, all of the appetizers, all of the entrees, all of the deserts)

The use colloquialisms to appear more homey is not cute, kitschy, endearing nor funny (e.g. beginnings, drummies, Lttle Buns, MOO, OINK, CLUCK, Greens, endings). It just looks immature. Conversely, why do you randomly use foreign words–especially given above? (e.g. pomodoro, pomme frites, filet)

Is there any theme to the food? I see Asian, NOLA, Cuban, Italian and some bastardization of everything in between. It’s all over the place.

If chips are house made it should be evident by looking at them. You really don’t need to broadcast it five times throughout the menu.

Then you top it with a filet; a filet of what? Then let’s add a quasi french cheese sauce manufactured by Unilever, cover that with more cheddar cheese and garnish? With a side of mayo mixed with pesto.

Asian? There are 48 sovereign countries in Asia–many with multiple regional cuisines. In addition to the incredible vagueness of what this is–it’s risotto? I suppose someone must think that is fusion. Gag me with a spoon.

I could go on, but why would anyone choose to eat here? It looks to me like someone who was a home cook with limited experience had a dream to open up a restaurant–but missed their opening date by about 30 years. I understand comfort food–but there is Knead, Kitchen Little, Skillet, Ray Ray’s, Black Creek, etc… Again, why?

leftovers

As mentioned, the location still doesn’t get much foot traffic. Until that picks up these places have to really get the word out and become destinations themselves.

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

McCasky’s is currently for sale. There is a for sale sign on the front of the building. The business, liquor license and real estate are for sale at $795,000.

billbix

VicVillage Guy said:
    McCasky’s is currently for sale. There is a for sale sign on the front of the building. The business, liquor license and real estate are for sale at $795,000.

I would have thought they were renting.

groundrules
    Participant

damn, that’s gotta suck pretty hard to sink almost a mil into an endeavor that lasts like, what, three months?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE