Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mazah Mediterranean Eatery

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Mazah Mediterranean Eatery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

I thought I might as well start a thread about Mazzah’s because front page stories seemed to get buried quickly. As mentioned here – https://www.columbusunderground.com/mazzah-mediterranean-cafe-opening-in-grandview Mazzah’s opened up on Grandview Ave next to Caribou Coffee. I went last night and really enjoyed the place. Right now they are running lunch ($5.99) and dinner ($9.99) buffet deal till the end of the month.

Has anyone else gone yet?

The Hegemo

Haven’t made it by yet, but the mention of a buffet got my officemates perked up. What sort of stuff is on the buffet?

berdawn

so there are two Mediterranean “eateries” on the same block?

futureman
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>
    so there are two Mediterranean “eateries” on the same block?

Yes, practically the same building actually.

I couldn’t really say what all was on the buffet. They aren’t going to be doing buffet all that long (till end of the month), so they just made a couple of sampler plates for my girlfriend and I. Had the usual stuffed grapes leaves and sooo many other things that I didn’t know existed. I felt that I tried pretty much all of the appetizers.

tornangel012
    Participant

It was SOOOO DELICIOUS!!!!! And through the month of November they are doing this ridiculous all you can eat buffet. Lunch is $5.99 and Dinner is $9.99 per person TOTALLY worth it. Huge portions great quality. I would say this is better then Aladdin’s in quality, not that Aladdin’s is bad at all but this place is a cut above.

The meat is freshly grilled to order and the Hummus is a dream….. and fresh made daily

cbus412

Agreed, this place has delicious, authentic food and at such a great price! Tried it the other night for the first time and I was incredibly impressed.

Quite possibly the best hummus in Columbus–try it with their homemade hot chili sauce and some imported feta. Chicken kebab, falafel and baba ganouj were all equally great, too.

And they had extremely friendly service, all too happy to refill sampler platters during this all-you-can-eat special.

Hope you all get a chance to go to Grandview and try this new spot. It’s right next to Great Clips on Grandview Ave.

patient_zero
    Participant

What’s on the lunch buffet? I’m thinking this will be today’s lunch spot. I just had some sundried tomato hummus and bagel chips last night, so I’m itching for more of the same.

stoneschick84
    Participant

We walked here for dinner tonight. The food was delicious (and plentiful) and the service was outstanding. The stuffed mushrooms were to die for! For $10/apiece “all you can eat”, it was a great deal.

Jack-E

It’s actually spelled MAZAH Mediterranean Eatery[/b]. It is indeed a wonderful establishment with great food and service. The hummus is one of the best I’ve had in a very long time. The service is wonderful and the owner, Maggie, makes you feel right at home.

If you haven’t gone, GO. Don’t wait, and definitely take advantage of the special they’ve got for this month. I’ve noticed that they also change their special every few days or so. The other day I had stuffed vegetarian green peppers and then a few days later they had musaka and lentil soup.

Again, if you haven’t gone, go, even if you don’t won’t a meal. Their turkish coffee is to die for.

placebohigh
    Participant

Tried Mazah tonight. Thought the food was really flavorful and tasty. They didn’t have the buffet so I’m not sure if they do it all the time or what. Tried the sampler platter for $10 which included housemade hummus, baba ghanoush, 2 olives, 2 mini pickles, a small garnish of cabbage with feta, a small dollop of tabouli and three bean salad with pita and a second plate with white and brown rice and grilled chicken, stuffed mushrooms, falafel, a side of crispy bagel chips and cucumber-tomato salad. All of the food was excellent. Really enjoyed it…gives you a nice spread of the food they serve and thought it was a ridiculously large portion for the price. The service was kind and pleasant also too, as expressed in other posts above. Unlike the other reviews, I did have a complaint though (since there seems to not be any on here yet). I’d definitely suggest the place for carryout instead of dining in. The interior is small, kind of quiet and not very cozy. It seems like the employees can hear your conversations it’s so small. Also, not really a fan of the decor inside (probably not quite finished yet) and they didn’t have any menus when we were there (which I found really odd for a restaurant…maybe someone had taken all the carryout menus, who knows) Not a fan of the ambiance but definitely dig the food.

futureman
    Participant

I went last weekend for lunch and overheard they went through 1,500 menus in about 2 weeks (which was all they made for the time being). They didn’t have a “real” buffet, but instead did samplers plates which you could ask for more if you wanted. Honestly though, for dinner I ate so much I had no need for a second round (and had leftovers)!

And on a side note, Walker could you change the title of the thread to reflect the real name of the place?

Columbusite

I would have checked it out, but there was nothing indicating this place was there and I saw Aladdin’s, Caribou, and that re-opened cheesecake place. Oh well, maybe next time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman wrote >>
    And on a side note, Walker could you change the title of the thread to reflect the real name of the place?

Done! ;)

futureman
    Participant

Ran across this article this morning from SNP –

Mazah cuisine made personally by owner each day

In the kitchen at Mazah Mediterranean Eatery, men and women circle about a pile of fresh vegetables on a central table.

Maggie Ailabouni, the 38-year-old proprietor of Mazah, stands at the center of it all, directing first a man with a tray of meat and then addressing her mother, Effe, who helps with the cooking, before leaning over a cutting board to chop veggies.

The scene is not unlike peeking into a busy kitchen at the home of a large family during the holidays.

“As I was a little girl, I always loved to be in the kitchen with my mom,” said Ailabouni, who said she cooks nearly the entire menu — a mix of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean fare — fresh every day.

READ MORE

berdawn

do they take credit/debit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER