Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mayor Coleman Will Not Seek a Fifth Term

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mayor Coleman Will Not Seek a Fifth Term

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

I don’t know about you Walker, but City council hasn’t done anything (positive or rejuvenating) for my neighborhood since – well since I’ve been here. I say antagonize the hell out of them, bring in a ward system, etc. I want to know when I pay my city taxes that my interests are being represented and I’m sure people will debate that they are, but plenty of us in certain sides of town will loudly disagree. Oh and I’m sure I’ll be bashed, but Coleman hasn’t done anything for us either (except saddle us with more section 8 than any neighborhood should have to bear) so Good Riddance!!!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There are certainly neglected/overlooked/underserved neighborhoods in Columbus. And that should be fixed.

But would an antagonistic relationship between council and mayor resolve that?

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>howatzer wrote:</div>
    Yup. If anything, I’d want a mayor that’s somewhat antagonistic towards, or at least skeptical of, city council.

What would antagonism bring to the table?

Columbus as a whole seems to be faring pretty well with a long-term cooperative relationship between Council and the Mayor’s Office, right?

Columbus as a whole may seem to be fairing well, but that may not be caused by the current relationship between Council and the Mayor’s Office. If one agrees that our success stems from Coleman’s leadership and vision then one must ask if the next mayor can possess those same strengths, and if those strengths are great enough to outweigh the weaknesses of council.

I think that the critiques of Ginther in this thread are very, very fair. And I think that it is very healthy to have some measure of check and balance between the city council and the mayor’s office. It’s clear that the School Board under Ginther’s leadership quickly became a place where dissent was unwelcome, oversight lax, and the results are clear.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think that the critiques of Ginther in this thread are very, very fair. And I think that it is very healthy to have some measure of check and balance between the city council and the mayor’s office.

I agree.

But an antagonistic relationship between the executive branch and legislative branch of local government (regardless of who is in power in either area) seems counter-intuitive to productivity.

Something that has been bothering me for some time is the increase in people living below the poverty line in Columbus. In 1999, it was 14.8% -now it’s 22%.

To be fair, this reflects state trends, however: I would hope that the next mayor would shift the focus and help build bridges that offer escape from poverty.

heresthecasey
    Participant

I’m with Liz on this,

Bob Leighty
    Bob Leighty
    Participant

I totally agree with Ms. Abbott on the severe and persistent and growing poverty problem in parts of Columbus.

Much of the Columbus region is in a strong economic recovery. There are many success stories here. There are also a number of areas of Columbus that are stuck with serious, entrenched poverty, where infant mortality is rampant, where people are hungry and families are struggling financially. We are starting, finally, to see some recognition on this from the power structure, but there are way too many people who have no idea that we have such an income gap. Yes, this is a statewide and national problem, but it is also definitely a Columbus problem. We are starting to ramp up more social services, which helps somewhat address some of the symptoms, but not as much the real problems. We must help families learn how to better support themselves financially. We must help families with access to early learning for their children. We must help our poor neighborhoods (and all of Columbus) develop a more entrepreneurial culture. We must focus more on creating and supporting local businesses, on keeping our dollars and investments here in our own communities. Community Research Partners has done some great research on these issues. It’s time for action, and the next Mayor needs to step up.

I would like to draft this guy to run for mayor. THAT would be a good contest:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/hughes

(Plus, he visited Cristo Rey -which serves only impoverished kids, and got some kind of award for helping make higher ed in Ohio “more affordable”? That all sounds kinda good.)

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I would like to draft this guy to run for mayor. THAT would be a good contest:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/hughes

(Plus, he visited Cristo Rey -which serves only impoverished kids, and got some kind of award for helping make higher ed in Ohio “more affordable”? That all sounds kinda good.)

Based on this bill he sponsored I don’t think I can vote for him.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Don’t forget about his other important work,

State Sen. Jim Hughes helped pass legislation that would make collecting urine a crime unless the person had privilege to do so.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2010/11/06/story-delaware-dublin-urine-fetish-alan-patton-arrest.html

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Jim Hughes never met a law and order issue he couldn’t exploit. He was a terrible prosecutor, a wallflower when it comes to real impactful legislation and a media hound when the cameras are on. He is somewhere between the gravitas of Greg Lashutka and the common touch of Buck Rinehart.

In spite of the (ahem) p***-poor levels of enthusiasm for my suggestion du jour, I am undeterred. I might even forgive his entire voting record (whatever that is), if he would do a rap video with cute kids.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2011/08/26/heres-the-mayor-of-columbus-rapping-about-literacy

NDaEast
    Participant

Oh my God! “Read with me now … get your grammar proper!” did those kids look sick and embarrassed, or what? My son saw it and is cracking up. Sorry to go here, but I only hear white folk say we have a “cool Mayor.” What’s up with that?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I totally agree with Ms. Abbott on the severe and persistent and growing poverty problem in parts of Columbus.

Much of the Columbus region is in a strong economic recovery. There are many success stories here. There are also a number of areas of Columbus that are stuck with serious, entrenched poverty, where infant mortality is rampant, where people are hungry and families are struggling financially. We are starting, finally, to see some recognition on this from the power structure, but there are way too many people who have no idea that we have such an income gap. Yes, this is a statewide and national problem, but it is also definitely a Columbus problem. We are starting to ramp up more social services, which helps somewhat address some of the symptoms, but not as much the real problems. We must help families learn how to better support themselves financially. We must help families with access to early learning for their children. We must help our poor neighborhoods (and all of Columbus) develop a more entrepreneurial culture. We must focus more on creating and supporting local businesses, on keeping our dollars and investments here in our own communities. Community Research Partners has done some great research on these issues. It’s time for action, and the next Mayor needs to step up.

Bob Leighty for Mayor! ;)

ehill27
    Participant

“We must help families learn how to better support themselves financially.”

Hmm… I’m with him on the overall theme, but are the families at fault here or victims of a system that holds down wages? (…to scandalous levels in some cases, while ensuring variable part time schedules are not conducive to obtaining a 2nd job.)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: