Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mass Shootings - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mass Shootings – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>
    For those that are anti-gun how do you propose to handle this? An outright ban of all guns? Changing the Constitution? Further restrictions on gun purchases? I could be in favor of reenacting the assault rifle ban, but other than that I don’t see how/why you would do anything else.

I know of virtually no one who suggests banning guns or seizing guns or any of the other hyperbole that comes with this conversation.

How about we lift the congressional ban on scientific research regarding gun violence? We start acknowledging this epidemic is what it is and treat it as such. We let the experts at places like the CDC examine what all of the other countries have done that makes this not happen there with this regularity and start implementing some of their advised changes.

I made no hyperbole, I asked a question with many possible solutions. Why jump down my throat? So just more research? Cool, I am down with that.

I would not expect you to be for banning any weapon since you apparently from my hood.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    We let the experts at places like the CDC examine what all of the other countries have done that makes this not happen there with this regularity and start implementing some of their advised changes.

Just follow Australia’s lead…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/australia-gun-control_561bb80ce4b0e66ad4c86fa0

Yea, no thanks.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

My observation on the discussions around latest shooting in San Diego was that one faction desperately wanted the shootings to be Islamicist while the other side defended the possibility that it could just be a ‘typical workplace shooting’ up until the connecting evidence was released.

I’m also wondering when workplace shootings got “typical”.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

My observation on the discussions around latest shooting in San Diego was that one faction desperately wanted the shootings to be Islamicist while the other side defended the possibility that it could just be a ‘typical workplace shooting’ up until the connecting evidence was released.

I’m also wondering when workplace shootings got “typical”.

What blows my mind, we spend days on end speculating over the “terror connection” because the religion that spurred on the attack was Islam…and not even a minute speculating over the possibility when a guy shoots up Planned Parenthood, which has typically been the act of religious fanatics as well.

jackoh
    Participant

And why is there no acknowledgement of the fact that America, as a society, perpetrates mass killings in various places around the globe daily.

McFly
    Participant

To me, that would seem a completely incorrect assessment of the discussions, but then I suppose you and I frequent different portions of the media. Within an hour of the shootings there were a number of prominent lefties using the incident to push their agendas and/or attempt to score points against Conservatives.

DC
    DC
    Participant

And why is there no acknowledgement of the fact that America, as a society, perpetrates mass killings in various places around the globe daily.

Bingo! You nailed it. It is crazy that we do not have a more developed perspective on this. And how could we ever trust the same people (leaders) who are among the most weaponized, violent, and war-sick individuals on the planet to regulate our access to arms? Listening to Obama talk about his “concerns” for reducing gun violence is like listening to Ronald McDonald talk about healthy eating.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

To me, that would seem a completely incorrect assessment of the discussions, but then I suppose you and I frequent different portions of the media. Within an hour of the shootings there were a number of prominent lefties using the incident to push their agendas and/or attempt to score points against Conservatives.

From my perspective, the “right” immediately wanted to call it terrorism even though there was absolutely no evidence of this released to the public within the first 12 hours. The accusation was completely based on profiling based on the guy’s name. The “left” was more cautious and tried to avoid to speculating beyond the available information, which was that it was a workplace-related shooting. Once all the information came out most people agreed it was terrorism.

McFly
    Participant

From my perspective, the “right” immediately wanted to call it terrorism even though there was absolutely no evidence of this released to the public within the first 12 hours. The accusation was completely based on profiling based on the guy’s name. The “left” was more cautious and tried to avoid to speculating beyond the available information, which was that it was a workplace-related shooting. Once all the information came out most people agreed it was terrorism.

Don’t get me wrong, there was plenty of conclusion-jumping from both sides. However, from what I saw, the reason so many were calling this terrorism within an hour or two was primarily based on the fact that it involved multiple gunmen (initially reported as three), in body armor and tactical gear (and with masks), and with explosive devices… all of which tends to (but not always) point to something more than someone going postal, or your “typical” workplace violence. The names involved certainly added fuel to the fire, but when taken in light of the details of the attack, why shouldn’t it?

From what I saw, saying that the left was more cautious is completely incorrect. Within an hour or two of the shootings, people on the left were blaming conservatives and speculating that this was supposed to be a hit on a nearby planned parenthood building.

But, again, we obviously focus in on different aspects from different sides of the media.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Fourteen innocent people slaughtered and the discussion devolves into who was quickest to point fingers, the Democrats or the Republicans? It’s no wonder people are sick of both sides.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Both ‘sides’ have had inconsistent definitions of terrorism: The right for example, insists that just because the planned parenthood (PP) shooter said he was Christian and watched Fox News that doesn’t mean FOX / Christianity “inspired terrorism” against PP. At the same time they claim that because the San Bernadino guy was Muslim, read ISIS literature and pledged allegiance on his FB page that ISIS/ Islam did cause the attack.

Some on the left are arguing in the exact opposite. They can’t both be correct.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Some on the left are arguing in the exact opposite. They can’t both be correct.

Yes, but they can both be wrong.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

I think a lot of the ‘left’ are making the christian/terrorism comparisons sarcastically. They’re doing it to point out the fallacy of the argument. Probably a few really believe it, but not most.

tolemac5050
    Participant

A single shooting 35 years ago saddened the WORLD…RIP John Lennon

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I think a lot of the ‘left’ are making the christian/terrorism comparisons sarcastically. They’re doing it to point out the fallacy of the argument. Probably a few really believe it, but not most.

I’d have to agree, most liberals like myself consider pretty much all the mass shootings terrorism regardless of ideology.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: