Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mass Shootings - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mass Shootings – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I figured someone had to start this thread. We’re running one per week now. They just shot up a disability center in California.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’re running one per week now.

Depends on how exactly you define it (there’s not a universally used definition of Mass Shooting)…

The US has had 355 mass shootings in 336 days of 2015 according to Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunsAreCool/wiki/2015massshootings

dubdave00
    Participant

Anyone else find themselves hate-reading their social media during this stuff?

I had friends this afternoon blaming it on “These right wing inbred rednecks” and then when the name of the shooter came out, the posts became “These Obama-loving Muslim fascists” (Granted, different people).

I really wish we could teach kids about social identity theory, outgroups, and echo chambers in like 8th grade or something. I’ve just about had it with everybody using tragedies to punch down on people they deem bad.

Honestly, is it that hard to admit we seem to face problems with both mass shootings AND terrorism? They’re not an equal problem, but they’re both equally a problem.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Yep the first several comments in the social media are always ideological attacks on some group or anothet.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

All mass shootings are terrorism.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone else find themselves hate-reading their social media during this stuff?

I heavily scaled back my personal Facebook network a couple of years ago from 1300 to less than 100, and then try to never be logged in personally (I still manage a few Pages a bit).

I share things on Twitter, but rarely read anything on there outside of a direct response or two.

It’s great. I think the number of people who use both platforms to moan and complain about everything all day long has amplified on Twitter and Facebook over the past few years, and so my self-imposed muting of 99% of it has helped out a lot.

On the downside, I have missed out on a couple of solid updates about awesome things people are eating. But that’s more than made up for on Instagram, which is the one place where whining and complaining has not replaced entertainment and enjoyment of the world. Maybe it has to do with the fact that politics and world news doesn’t really translate well to photo streams.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I like Obama’s point that someone can be on the no-fly list and still pass a background check to buy a gun.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Depends on how exactly you define it (there’s not a universally used definition of Mass Shooting)…

The US has had 355 mass shootings in 336 days of 2015 according to Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunsAreCool/wiki/2015massshootings

Good point, I’d define them as a shootings with a psychological and/or social motive, usually designed to send a message to the public or a specific external entity (like the unemployment claims office or an employer), and that does not involve any economic or personal gains for the shooter.

joev
    Participant

Americans are dumb when it comes to guns. It’s obvious that we’ve picked the wrong path.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

You may want to re think the high counts
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/opinion/inequality-and-the-city.html?_r=0&referer=http://m.realclearpolicy.com/

Oh and walker thanks for so diligently correcting my grammar

Eugene_C
    Participant

Americans love their guns. Well more than half want to keep them around moreso than not. We are still pretty far from the kinds of numbers of overwhelming support that are needed to effect serious change that would curtail guns on the streets. Remember, it took opinion polling support in the greater than 80% range to get any kind of healthcare reform finally pushed through, and even that got mangled in the corporate gauntlet. So, we’re all just going to have to live with all the guns for a few years, yet. That’s my opinion, anyway.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Americans love their guns. Well more than half want to keep them around moreso than not.

Gun owners are actually a minority in America (and shrinking). They just have a much more powerful lobby than the non-gun owners:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/04/a-minority-of-americans-own-guns-but-just-how-many-is-unclear/

ImNotaStar
    Participant

For those that are anti-gun how do you propose to handle this? An outright ban of all guns? Changing the Constitution? Further restrictions on gun purchases? I could be in favor of reenacting the assault rifle ban, but other than that I don’t see how/why you would do anything else.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

For those that are anti-gun how do you propose to handle this? An outright ban of all guns? Changing the Constitution? Further restrictions on gun purchases? I could be in favor of reenacting the assault rifle ban, but other than that I don’t see how/why you would do anything else.

I know of virtually no one who suggests banning guns or seizing guns or any of the other hyperbole that comes with this conversation.

How about we lift the congressional ban on scientific research regarding gun violence? We start acknowledging this epidemic is what it is and treat it as such. We let the experts at places like the CDC examine what all of the other countries have done that makes this not happen there with this regularity and start implementing some of their advised changes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We let the experts at places like the CDC examine what all of the other countries have done that makes this not happen there with this regularity and start implementing some of their advised changes.

Just follow Australia’s lead…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/australia-gun-control_561bb80ce4b0e66ad4c86fa0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: