Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

MarketPlace of the Americas - Ohio's Largest Upscale Indoor Flea Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping MarketPlace of the Americas – Ohio’s Largest Upscale Indoor Flea Market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via the Dispatch, the old Brice Outlet Mall is being reborn as a huge new flea market this fall:

More info from their website, below: http://www.marketplaceoftheamericas.com

Coming This Summer, 2010!

Ohio’s Largest Upscale Indoor Flea Market & Shopping Extravaganza!

More Than An Indoor Market Place, More Than A Farmer’s Market…

An Import/Export Outlet Mall Extravaganza Featuring Wholesale Variety Stores And A Bazzar With Hundreds Of Discount Merchants.

The Only Mall That Has It All! Open Year Round!

Tentative Hours Beginning This Summer 2010

Friday 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Saturday 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM

Sunday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Over 185,000 sq ft of Climate Controlled Indoor Shopping Space.

AVAILABLE NOW

• Vender booths 10’ x 10’ starting at $200 per month

• Kiosks Available

• Entire stores up to 5,000 sq ft.

• Over 20 Acres of Parking

• Restaurants in food court available.

• Entertainment MegaPlex with 8 Concert Halls, Stages & Movie Theaters

to draw huge crowds of buyers to your store!

Reserve NOW with only $100 deposit!

• Reserve NOW for First Selection of Best Locations.

• No Lease or Long Term Commitment.

Easy Highway Access, Close to Everything, in the Heart of it All!

christylwilliams
    Participant

Anyone know if this place is for real open yet? Website just says, “Coming This Weekend,” but doesn’t have a specific date.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Press Release:

Marketplace of the Americas
    Grand Opening October 29th
    Creates 250+ Jobs in time for Holidays

Mayor Michael Coleman and State Legislator Marion Harris to christen opening of Marketplace of the Americas!!

Former Brice Mall undergoes facelift… NEW OWNERS invest millions of dollars in revitalization of Mall and the CITY OF COLUMBUS

WHAT: The MarketPlace of the Americas is more than an Indoor Market Place, more than a World Bazaar, and more than a flea market and a great way to spend the day. It’s a whole NEW shopping experience that will help revitalize the city of COLUMBUS with Hundreds & Hundreds of quality, independently owned discount and wholesale merchants! Family-friendly with 20,000 sq ft family fun zone featuring several inflatable bounce houses, bumper cars, virtual roller-coaster, an 8-screen movie theater, restaurants and even a full-sized working carousel all under one roof! Touted as a “flea market for millionaires”, it offers as many fun things to do as much as discounted products to buy! And it’s the only flea market shopping mall in the world with a live DJ in the center of the mall spinning during mall hours, and a karaoke DJ at the food court and movie theater Saturdays from noon til 4:00 pm.

WHY: MarketPlace of the Americas is open every weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) all year round. It was created to quench Ohio’s thirst for a NEW, ONE OF A KIND DISCOUNT shopping experience… while revitalizing the Central Ohio job market at the same time.

WHERE: MarketPlace of the Americas has easy Highway Access and is close to everything. Located just East of the I-70 & I-270 Interchange at Brice Road with easy highway onramps & off ramps, at 5891 Scarborough Blvd.

WHEN: GRAND OPENING CEREMONY Friday October 29th Don’t miss the official ribbon cutting ceremony, hosted by Ohio state representative Marion Harris and Columbus Ohio Mayor Michael Coleman at 3:00pm!

Regulars hours – Fridays 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Saturdays 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM and Sundays 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM.

The first 500 people through the doors each day get a free ticket to the movies!

HOW: MarketPlace of the Americas opened its doors to the public October 15th to an excited crowd giving away over 500 free movie tickets in the first hour. It is Ohio’s biggest upscale discount indoor shopping emporium; it is also the first and only indoor Flea Market open late Friday and Saturday nights until 9pm.

WHO: The former Brice Mall was transformed by a consortium of visionary developers that had one purpose – to bring a great new shopping experience to Columbus while helping to revitalize the city. And in the process, they also created an amazing place for shoppers to save 50% – 90% on anything and everything literally from A to Z. If you need computers, cell phones and accessories, perfumes, clothing, shoes, jewelry, gifts, tools, crafts, electronics, toys, auto sound systems, home improvements or any one of a million other items, then this is the place for you.

The goal of MarketPlace of the Americas is to bring the best shopping experience to the city of Columbus while revitalizing the area and giving local hard working, independent merchants a unique opportunity to showcase their products while saving shoppers 50% – 90% on every purchase.

Marketplace of the Americas
    5891 Scarborough Blvd
    Columbus, OH 43232
    614-385-5985

Visit our web site: http://www.MarketPlaceOfTheAmericas.com

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

This reminds me of the “dirt mall” in Mallrats.

can’t wait!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

has anyone been? Guess I could wait because I’ve not.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I’ve been, and I’m not sure what is supposed to be “upscale” about it? But it’s your typical flea market but instead of vendors selling their own used goods most are peddling merchandise that they’ve bought with the intention of reselling them @ a mark up. Kind of reminds me of the old Livingston Court flea market before it went to hell in a hand basket.
    There are a few artisan type vendors in there. I saw one woman who made really intersting soaps that looks like fruit and vegetables, the cluster of grapes was really cool. Another woman mounted real butterflies, bugs and bats in a shadow box type of display, there are really pretty.
    I really wish they would have done it like the Tamarack Artisan Mall in West Virginia, http://www.tamarackwv.com/ I think a place like that would do well in the Indie Arts captial of the world.
    I miss the old school flea markets where you could buy anything from used tires, to hand guns to a puppy, just never knew what you were going to find in some of those booths. A lot if it junk, but I’ve found some diamonds in the rough. And there’s always the story of the guy who bought a Rembrandt @ a flea market for $10.

MikeReed
    Participant

I case anyone runs across the website for this place or this thread… the MarketPlace of the Americas has closed and become the place where dreams go to die. Picture related.

Victor Ian Skwydde
    Participant

It closed down without any warning almost a year ago after several raids and crackdowns on counterfeit merchandise, which accounted for about half the stuff being sold there when I went. If you were to have taken away all the counterfeit and stolen merchandise, you’d be left with not much at all.

It was a real dump from the start, though. I was stunned they even got the credit to open that. On a weekend, you might have found 1/5 of the metal sheds inside the mall open for “business”.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/08/04/columbus-counterfeit-goods-bust.html

After that, nothing changed and the FBI raided it if I recall correctly and seized almost 2 million dollars worth of counterfeit goods. Everything there, from the clothes to the shoes to the movies, all of it was bogus.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Man the early ’90s were nuts.

mrpoppinzs

Victor Ian Skwydde said:
    It closed down without any warning almost a year ago after several raids and crackdowns on counterfeit merchandise, which accounted for about half the stuff being sold there when I went. If you were to have taken away all the counterfeit and stolen merchandise, you’d be left with not much at all.

I never understood that. All of that crap can be shipped to your door for less from the internet. I am guessing they were just selling to poor people without credit or internet access?

pez
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I never understood that. All of that crap can be shipped to your door for less from the internet. I am guessing they were just selling to poor people without credit or internet access?

Probably that, impulse buys and teens buying there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO