Our City Online

Messageboard - Art Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mark Rothko - Columbus Museum of Art

Home Forums Events Art Events Mark Rothko – Columbus Museum of Art

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade 1940-1950

Feb 1 – May 26, 2013

CMA celebrates one of the world’s most influential and best-known artists of the 20th century, Mark Rothko with the exhibition, Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade 1940-1950 featuring 37 works including paintings, watercolors and works on paper drawn largely from the collection of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.

MORE: http://www.columbusmuseum.org/exhibitions/future-exhibitions/

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

THE
    JAM

Twixlen
    Participant

I’m going to the preview Thursday night (member perk!) and I CANNOT WAIT.

News
    Participant

GCAC Presents: Does Rothko Speak to You?
    Published on February 7, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Nancy Colvin

Yes, I know, abstract painting is tough and either it speaks to you or it doesn’t. I’ve spent nearly a year reading about Mark Rothko, looking at images of his work, squinting my eyes and looking again trying to figure out what it is I’m missing and honestly, until a few days ago, I still didn’t get it.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/gcac-presents-does-rothko-speak-to-you

News
    Participant

Theatre Review: Red’s bursts of color add life and passion to the stage
    Published on February 16, 2013 1:11 pm
    By: Lisa Much

Columbus seems overtaken right now with Mark Rothko. Until May 26th, The Columbus Art Museum hosts Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade 1940-1950. Meanwhile, CATCO performs the play Red, a brief glimpse into the painter’s life. For those that know little about the man (or abstract expressionism in general), a trip, preferably before the museum for context purposes, to CATCO seems in order.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/theatre-review-red-lm1

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Show has an article in the NY Times:
    Rothko’s Journey to His Fields of Color, in Full View
    By TED LOOS
    “FOR many art lovers, Mark Rothko’s layered bands of misty color represent the apex of 20th-century abstraction. Here was an artist who painstakingly distilled the achievements of the painters who came before him and forever changed how we see the horizon line.”
    Read More

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Art Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE