Our City Online

Messageboard - Video Games

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mario Kart 8

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Video Games Mario Kart 8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Arriving on the Wii U on May 30th!

Now with seven times the Koopalings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=631c1fz87I8

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looking sweet! ;)

Ben
    Participant

Gorgeous. Check out that Rainbow Road from 64…

Ben
    Participant

Flippin’ yeah!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pretty fun so far! ;)

Matt Ellis
    Matt Ellis
    Participant

Almost convinced to buy a Wii U now.
    Finally looks like it has a decent collection of first party games plus the backward compatibility with the old Wii exclusive games I’d love to play again

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Almost convinced to buy a Wii U now.
    Finally looks like it has a decent collection of first party games plus the backward compatibility with the old Wii exclusive games I’d love to play again

I’d say that now is a good time to buy. We picked up the Mario Kart 8 bundle, which normally retails at $329.99, and that includes the deluxe (32 GB) system, the gamepad, an extra wii remote (though old wiimotes also work), another wii-wheel, the Mario Kart 8 game (normally $59.99) and a free digital download choice between New Super Mario Bros U, Zelda Windwaker HD, Pikmin 3 or Wii Party U:

http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/

We went with Mario U, which still retails for $50-55 new, so you’re basically getting the system for around $215 when you include the cost of those two games.

So yeah, after 24 hours with Mario Kart 8, I’d say it’s a solid continuation of the series. The addition of driving on the walls and ceiling seemed like a novelty idea, but it’s incorporated well and provides a very dizzying effect sometimes which is really fun.

And I absolutely love the retro tracks that have been upgraded. There’s some nice tweaks here and there to fit the new features, and the graphics are gloriously updated to HD. Here’s an example of a Wii course upgraded to Wii U:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/05/15/mario-kart-8-vs-wiis-moo-moo-meadows

For an event bigger leap in graphics, comapre the original Donut Plains 3 (SNES) to the Wii U version. ;)

johnwashere
    Participant

I am really enjoying my wii u. I bought the Skylanders bundle for $199 online taxfree + free ship. It came with the the skylanders game + figures & nintendo land. I sold the skylanders game for over $30, so the system + nintendoland ended up costing me under $170. I got Donkey Kong for $25, Mario Kart for $50 + free digital download of Mario Bros U. Its been well worth the price. Im looking forward to smash bros & star fox.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The multiplayer is fun! Better luck next time, Walker ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The multiplayer is fun! Better luck next time, Walker ;)

Yeah, good stuff!

Really makes me want to figure out a way to get 3 WiiUs, 3 Big TVs, 12 friends and play a huge multiplayer setup. ;)

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I was kidding btw. Pretty sure you had the edge today. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I was kidding btw. Pretty sure you had the edge today. :)

Well, I did have a teammate. ;) So we’ll call it a draw.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Had to share this one. Via Mister Shifter. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Matt Ellis
    Matt Ellis
    Participant

Seeing Link on a motorbike feels wrong and completely ruins my childhood.
    I won’t be supporting this, but that’s mostly due to me not owning Mariokart 8. Or a Wii U ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Video Games’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!