Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Marconi Parking Garage is Closing

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Marconi Parking Garage is Closing

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Ned23 Ned23 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

bwitty92
    Participant

I saw this on Reddit so it has to be true right? Anyway, the crumbling parking garage on Marconi appears to be closing. I would have to think someone has plans to buy up the land and develop it. This would be a great spot to add something defining to our skyline, although the footprint of the building would have to be a bit abnormal.

http://imgur.com/H8O5Mdn

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

I saw this on Reddit so it has to be true right? Anyway, the crumbling parking garage on Marconi appears to be closing. I would have to think someone has plans to buy up the land and develop it. This would be a great spot to add something defining to our skyline, although the footprint of the building would have to be a bit abnormal.

http://imgur.com/H8O5Mdn

While I like your idea, I’d wager on a new, non-crumbling parking garage.

bwitty92
    Participant

I definitely don’t think parking is going away from this spot, however it would be nice to see something like a new hotel that would include additional parking. Something like the DoubleTree on Front St could possibly work here.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

Considering the giant Columbus City parking garage going in next door, it would be great to see this become something more than a parking garage — It’s in a pretty prime location (across the tracks from the Arena District, just down the street from the Riverfront…
    Does the garage own the entire parcel? Because if you got just a couple floors off the the ground along Long you would have some pretty spectacular views of the Scioto Riverfront. Some residential in this corridor would be some much-needed life as well. Lots of potential hopefully for MUCH more than just another parking garage (considering this ENTIRE area is parking garages)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

This spot has a lot of potential, but I’m not sure that plopping a residential tower would be the best move here. This is within a block of a federal courthouse, the policy HQ, the new City of Columbus facilities, and two other parking garages. It’s also near the Courtyard by Marriott, which is otherwise not terribly near other hotels or any nightlife–as a hotel here would be, too.

This strikes me as a good opportunity for a mixed use commerical/parking/retail opportunity, given its proximity to other offices and the lack of any retail in the immediate vicinity, as well as to take advantage of the great views a high-rise may have for would be office tenants…and the chance to increase the number of parking garage spaces, as well.

jmiller10
    Participant

God, this garage is such an eyesore. Literally anything would be better. Would love to see something other than parking, so fingers crossed for that!

ohbr
    Participant

I tend to agree with Michael. Residential would seem a little out of place and isolated. I won’t conjecture what’s to come but I’m very intrigued.

Mike88
    Participant

Very exciting news. Hopefully whatever replaces it has some true height too it.

As others have said this is a spot that could be a nice impact on the skyline and it sits at an interesting junction for lots of different purposes.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I really disagree that any redevelopment, if something beyond more parking is actually going to take its place, shouldn’t include residential because of the location. While it is not surrounded by other residential, it is still in the middle of Downtown and fairly close to amenities. Any residential here would have absolutely no problem filling up.
    All that said, if anything’s going here, it probably will be something along the lines of more city offices.

hometown
    Participant

Years ago when I worked for the City of Columbus, we used this garage for our city cars and joked about its falling down all the time. The structure has been in terrible shape for over 20 years.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The people who still park their cars in that garage are braver than I.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.