Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Making a Murderer (Netflix Original Series)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Making a Murderer (Netflix Original Series)

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  RedStorm 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

Following in a similar path as Serial and The Jinx, Netflix released “Making a Murderer” in mid-December. I am just now getting around to watching it after the holidays and it’s incredible. Few shows have gripped me like this one. I’m only halfway through, but I am fascinated to see where it goes and what other twists and turns pop up.

Is anyone else watching it? I’m heading into episode 5 so please warn if you’re posting spoilers from episodes after that!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Watched this over break, and found it as gripping as you.

Wrap it up so we can discuss. :)

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Finished it up over the break, and I agree it was riveting.

Really rocked my faith in our judicial system.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

You had faith in our judicial system? That’s cute.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heh. Anne and I binged the first 7 episodes in one sitting and wrapped up the final three the next day. Super interesting documentary that would have really suffered if it were crammed into a traditional 2 hour film format. Trying to think if there’s been something like this before with a 10-hour episodic arc. Maybe a documentary mini-series?

I won’t spoil anything for now, but I’ll say that the amount of additional information, opinion, interviews, followups and speculation that has run rampant online in the past few weeks has been just as interesting to dive into.

Robertsd937
    Participant

You had faith? I knew cops and the DA could be crooked but Ken Kratz can write a book on railroading people. I never thought corruption was that obvious. I guess that is the new normal.

mbeaumont
    Participant

My wife and I were hooked as well. Watched it all in a few days. Absolutely astonishing.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I guess I was still naïve enough to think that if you were innocent of a crime and had your day in court that the truth would prevail.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The problem I’m left with, I have absolutely no idea if he’s really innocent…but I can say with absolute certainty that they tried to frame him.

RedStorm
    Participant

I would like to read up more on the case. Many articles are saying, “Well they left X, Y, and Z” out of the episodes.

The Dassey case is perhaps even more heart-breaking than Avery’s case, but of course Avery did 18 years for something he didn’t do.

So many cringe-inducing moments. So many inexplicable “this can’t be real!” moments. I mean, we all know there is corruption and the justice system is seriously flawed but…this one, for whatever reason, really hits you.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

The problem I’m left with, I have absolutely no idea if he’s really innocent…but I can say with absolute certainty that they tried to frame him.

This is the same thing I took away from the Serial podcast. There was zero hard evidence against the kid but the prosecution wanted to nail someone to it so they went hard to the paint to get a verdict.

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Surprised in the popularity of this program. Production seems just like a typical court TV series or dateline episode. I’m only 2 episodes in but have found nothing special about it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Surprised in the popularity of this program. Production seems just like a typical court TV series or dateline episode. I’m only 2 episodes in but have found nothing special about it.

I don’t think anyone is watching for the production values.

Although, I often thought that the stylish intro sequence felt a bit overdone. Like they were trying to mimic the intro of True Detective, but layering music from Game of Thrones on top…

RedStorm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

This is the same thing I took away from the Serial podcast. There was zero hard evidence against the kid but the prosecution wanted to nail someone to it so they went hard to the paint to get a verdict.

Well, in this case there was some…rather suspect findings in the search of the property. As in, “Oh we didn’t find anything the first 7 times we went here, but oh look a key right here in plain sight.”

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’m only 2 episodes in but have found nothing special about it.

What’s special about it is that a documentary crew went to film a story about a man being released from prison after a wrongful conviction…and ended up staying 5 years because he was immediately charged with a new crime under incredibly suspect circumstances.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.