Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Macy's Kingsdale closing

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Macy's Kingsdale closing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

Macy’s will close its store in Kingsdale Shopping Center by the end of March, marking the end of a 45-year run in the Upper Arlington location.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/01/08/macys-closing-kingsdale-store.html

A161830
    Participant

Bummer…however they haven’t invested in the store in decades. Their parking lot looks like its been bombed out. It will be interesting to see what potential redevelopment opportunities come out of this.

dashinhilliard
    Participant

This is the last Lazarus branch standing in Columbus. I realize Tuttle and Easton were opened as Lazarus, but this was the last branch opened by family, not the holding company conglomerate. Kingsdale used to be a designer’s mecca – they had the better clothing, cosmetics, home goods, and accessories outside of Downtown and Northland, and catered to the neighborhood. The Macyfication of America dumbed it down into their private label crap. Sad passing. I think the only remaining “Lazarus family” stores are in Indianapolis, Huntington, and Lima. What a way to flop…….

JCPenney is also closing Eastland with no mention of a new store, that was proposed when Glimcher owned the mall.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Honestly, I’m shocked that it remained open as long as it did, given the lack of improvements made to the store and Kingsdale’s transition from a fashion-focused shopping center to more of a mixed-use development. Stepping inside that place is literally like traveling 30 years back in time. Given the investment that Continental has made in Kingsdale over the past 6 years, you would have to think that that space won’t be vacant for very long.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

This is the last Lazarus branch standing in Columbus. I realize Tuttle and Easton were opened as Lazarus, but this was the last branch opened by family, not the holding company conglomerate. Kingsdale used to be a designer’s mecca – they had the better clothing, cosmetics, home goods, and accessories outside of Downtown and Northland, and catered to the neighborhood. The Macyfication of America dumbed it down into their private label crap. Sad passing. I think the only remaining “Lazarus family” stores are in Indianapolis, Huntington, and Lima. What a way to flop…….

JCPenney is also closing Eastland with no mention of a new store, that was proposed when Glimcher owned the mall.

Lazarus aka Federated Department Stores became a holding company conglomerate in 1929, long before Kingsdale.

columbusmike
    Participant

Let’s hope whatever replacement takes its place is done better than the recent strip mall project known as Kingsdale.

dashinhilliard
    Participant

I am fully aware of the history of Federated Josh. The Lazarus family was in control of Federated from its inception in 1929 through the 1970’s, when the first non-family member was elected Chairman. The Lazarus family made Federated what it was.

Although the holding company started in 1929, the divisions were very much autonomous until the late 1970’s. Federated was known for this at the time.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Let’s hope whatever replacement takes its place is done better than the recent strip mall project known as Kingsdale.

Yea, UA really missed the boat by not making this more of a destination. It could have been a really beautiful, walkable “downtown”, something UA lacks. Instead, they got a glorified strip center.

Taz Devil
    Participant

Yes, because the run down center that was there before was so much nicer before the improvements. I swear, people are never satisfied.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Stepping inside that place is literally like traveling 30 years back in time.

Yes. I worked in The Union in the 80s, and when I went into Macy’s a few years ago it felt exactly like that. Lonely departments with lonely clerks waiting for customers.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Always went into that big blue building as a kid with my mom in the early 80s.

vivid memory of sitting down on the escalator and getting my shirt caught =-O
    Which is why that scene from Mallrats where Brody yells at the kid hit close to home with me ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Before that store was built, that site was used by a traveling circus that would set up for a few weeks.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

I hate shopping but didn’t mind it so much when I went there because it was so chill especially on a weekday afternoon. I always enjoyed listening to the old ladies who worked there talk about how they used to be models “back in the day” for Lazarus. They were very friendly and quite spunky. Pretty sure they didn’t need to be working anymore but that they came there everyday more out of habit, like it was more of a hobby than a job to them. I am sure they are going to be heartbroken when the store closes.

mas917
    Participant

Totally agree SJT! The employees there have always been very helpful and friendly.
    Was in last night to see what kind of clearance was going on- pretty sure you could get things cheaper at other Macy’s during one of their many “One Day Sales”… they’ll need to drop the prices again to move anything. Still tons of merchandise.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/11/13/exclusive-kroger-giant-eagle-settle-kingsdale.html

Wow! Kroger and Giant Eagle are ready to duke it out! I guess it’s a preference but I prefer Kroger any day over Giant Eagle. It also sounds like some housing might be in the works for Kingsdale which would only add more vibrancy to the area.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE