Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Machete attack at Nazareth on Hamilton Rd

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Machete attack at Nazareth on Hamilton Rd

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author

DLDude
    Participant

I guess I question a guy who has been in business 27 years and cannot take out a loan against all of that 27 years of success and is now homeless? Something isn’t adding up. I want to support the guy, but what made it cost $100k to clean up the mess? Did he choose to remodel so that he could get past the horror? I would understand if he did, but he wasn’t required to. I think the whole city supports this guy and his business right now. He should use that to bring business in.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I guess I question a guy who has been in business 27 years and cannot take out a loan against all of that 27 years of success and is now homeless? Something isn’t adding up. I want to support the guy, but what made it cost $100k to clean up the mess? Did he choose to remodel so that he could get past the horror? I would understand if he did, but he wasn’t required to. I think the whole city supports this guy and his business right now. He should use that to bring business in.

My guess is that some of the people who were injured and/or their medical insurance companies, filed claims against the business for medical bills. (An example of where universal health care could actually help a business.)

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

How much money do you think a deli restaurant owner makes a year? What assets does a resturantuer have that leases his facility. Their personal home? So you have home to borrow against maybe and the future business receipts.

Ok so a small business deli which has low profit margins and fixed costs that don’t stop if you have to close loses 1-2 weeks of business. You lose all your perishable food. You receive no revenue while closed.
    So now rent is due, insurance is due, payroll checks are still clearing you have to buy all new food and you are down the complete cash flow from the period being closed. and now the payable for the spoiled food is due.

Oh and your trying to deal with cleaning the blood out of the corners of your restaurant because a person came into your business and attempted to murder everyone by hacking them with a machete because he thinks your Jewish because you are Israeli.

So yeah I bet you know how you would handle it. And surely you would have enough open credit with a bank to weather the events. That’s why so many people make it decades in the food business. (Spoiler… They don’t )
    This guy did.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Cbussmallbiz, it’s great that you have complete sympathy for his plight in this situation. There are some who question his actions and behavior, especially on social media, that makes us wonder what others would do in this situation. Just google “business reopens after shooting” and you’ll find countless businesses reopening after similar situations. I’m just wondering why he’s changed his story at least 3 times in the past month and if he truly has to close up, where will the crowd funding go? There’s a few other smaller outlining questions but I’m sure they’ll get cleared up in his next facebook rant.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

its crazy arm chair quarterbacking. If you have ever been through a business tramua involving lost revenue, closing and insurance claim you would know that a lot of things are unknowable as they happen to you. This is true of sophisticated businesses and simple ones. What you are seeing (I think)is this uncertainty and fear playing out via his posting on social media. There is a very high likelihood that he doesn’t honestly know if he can stay in business based on the info he has. Also if he were working on the expansion before the attack he is at a real precarious place. A lot of things are actually out of his control.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Okay, I’m done here.

DLDude
    Participant

I mean, I do own a business with a business partner who has done it for 25yrs. We’ve moved buildings (1 month down), had machines go down, and all sorts of other things. Though it’s not the same industry, I don’t know if I’d be homeless, even if my business went down for 6 months!

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE