Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Los Potosinos in the KLD

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Los Potosinos in the KLD

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

hivner1

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, and I’m glad that Los Postinos is getting some well-deserved assistance from an excellent organization, but it seems short-sighted to clean up the exterior of a blighted and unusable property. What’s going to happen with Watty’s building?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

hivner1 said:
    What’s going to happen with Watty’s building?

I’ve always imagined it will eventually be demolished. It has no roof. It’s really not much more than some stacked cinderblocks with a parking lot. Something denser and with a better configuration (up against the street) would be a better fit on that site anyway, IMHO.

So what’s the harm in slapping on a coat of paint in the meantime if it can be used for a Taco Truck business? Sounds like a good short-term use of the property. It was just sitting empty prior. Do you have an alternative you’re proposing?

Twixlen
    Participant

I was at Potosinos yesterday for a birthday party, and we talked to Lidia for a while. She said she’s having trouble with inspectors (couldn’t quite figure out if it was city or county) – but that an inspector had stopped by, done an inspection, and Lidia felt like they were having a lot of communication problems. (Her English is pretty dang good, though her accent is heavy.) She has permission from the property owner just west of her across Garfield to use his sink to drain out her grey water – it’s water that is only used for their hand washing station. The inspector kept insisting she was putting her oil down the sink – Lidia knows this is a huge no-no and they pay to have their oil and all their refuse disposed of. She kept telling him that she wasn’t putting oil down the sink, but he wouldn’t believe her and she said he “wrote it on his paper” and that he’d be back, and that they could and would shut her down. She was also saying something about (being threatened with) the Sheriff coming (and that she’d been told that sheriff was not a fan of immigrants), but I couldn’t figure out where that fit into the whole thing. She is really, really proud of her green inspection sticker – she knows the rules, and follows them – it’s absurd if indeed someone has dinged her inspection for something that she isn’t doing, because THEY insist she’s doing it.

She mentioned that they’d moved into an apartment within walking distance & she found out their neighbor had called to complain about the truck… and I got the impression (tho Lidia never came out and said it) that the neighbor wasn’t happy about living next to immigrants. Which is a huge bummer – they’ve been sharing an apt with her sister for years, and this is the first place they’ve had on their own in a very long time. She’s pretty excited about being so close to the truck, and about the fresh start they’re getting on the East side. I hate that anyone is giving them a hard time.

mrmann

That stinks. The sheriff part sounds odd though. Maybe she is still talking about the inspector?

I was there a couple of weeks ago. My only complaint is that she seems to be hit or miss whether they are open. Maybe this is all fixed since she moved into the neighborhood?

bucki12

Surprised to hear that. There aren’t a whole lot of options in the KLD, it is a shame if some of the neighbors are making waves. I will have to stop by next time I am over there.

SusanB
    Participant

It really sounds like anti Latino bias to me. That sucks and maybe some exposure can help put a stop to it. Is this the same city department that screwed with the Pearl Alley folks? Maybe we need Ms. Lessner to make a ruckus if this bs continues? Lidia is awesome and the food there is great.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

mrmann said:
    That stinks. The sheriff part sounds odd though. Maybe she is still talking about the inspector?

I was there a couple of weeks ago. My only complaint is that she seems to be hit or miss whether they are open. Maybe this is all fixed since she moved into the neighborhood?

I drive by occasionally and would totally stop in, but every time I do it’s not open. I’ve actually never once seen it open.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

hivner1 said:
    Not trying to be a stick in the mud, and I’m glad that Los Postinos is getting some well-deserved assistance from an excellent organization, but it seems short-sighted to clean up the exterior of a blighted and unusable property. What’s going to happen with Watty’s building?

One thing that complicates the situation with the building is that although the structure itself is nothing much, it is home to some unique and irreplaceable murals that are a source of pride for the neighborhood. Perhaps those could be saved, however, even if the building itself was demolished.

FoodFort
    Participant

The best way for Los Potosinos to be successful is to have consistent hours and stick to them.

As for possible concerns by the health department and the Sheriff – those should be clarified. Any questions with the health department can be easily clarifed with numerous people that work with both Lydia and The Health Department (including us and Homeport).

As for the Sheriff – that does not make sense – seems like it may be an idle threat made by a neighbor – the Sheriff would have no jurisdiction or interest in that area or a food truck.

I will check with Lydia.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    The best way for Los Potosinos to be successful is to have consistent hours and stick to them.

sounds good to me.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

I visited Los Potosinos today and questioned Lidia extensively about the situation -there are a few misunderstandings and miscommunications involved so I would like to clarify a few items so that the public is not getting the wrong perception about some of the agencies named.

Twixlen said:

I was at Potosinos yesterday for a birthday party, and we talked to Lidia for a while. She said she’s having trouble with inspectors.

Lidia was not visited by Public Health – her most recent inspection with Public heath was fine and that agency has provided good service to her.

She was not visited by the Sherriff, it appears someone called the Sheriff’s department about the water / oil question. The Sheriff’s Department called her in response to the inquiry they had, told her that it was not something that they deal with and they gave information to the property owner and Lidia about who to contact to clarify situations involving the call they receieved. Lidia said the Sheriff’s Department was very nice to her on the phone and she has never had any issues with that department or any law enforcement agencies at her site.

The other person – Lidia was very unclear about about who it was, might be from zoning, but whoever it was gave her information and spoke with the property owner to clarify any issues related to the water/oil issue.

The city has to respond to any complaint, valid or not and it seems that any questions that may come up from any party can be handled by the property owner whihc by report – this is being done. So no issues and they do need more business so go there and eat.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update!

SusanB
    Participant

I too spoke to Lidia today and showed her this thread on my phone. While I was there for lunch some city guys (in charge of sewer and water drainage I think) showed up and were very nice about the whole thing. They promised to bring a city guidelines sheet in Spanish so that there will be no more misunderstandings. It appears that someone in the neighborhood rang up every agency they could think of and complained. Where Lidia comes from “official inquiries” can be terrifying and often corrupt. Add that to the language problem and things became very confusing. Lidia wishes to thank everyone for being supportive and concerned for her. Her landlord (who is also an attorney) is working on straightening out the misunderstanding with the one particular city worker (not the 2 that I met) who did not seem to understand that there is not a fryer on the truck, hence little to no waste oil. Lidia feels really supported by the neighborhood and everyone on CU and asked me to post a thank you all for the support.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

FYI: Update Los Potosinos will be closed this week:

via Facebok:
    Los Potosinos
    Hi friends…we closed this week….see you next week…Gracias a todos por el apoyo q nos han dado en estos.anios de trabajo …nos vemos pronto..Have a wonderful time.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Via FB:

Los Potosinos

News!!!!….. Los Potosinos now accepted AMERICAN EXPRESS…VISA….MASTER CARD….&..DISCOVER CARDS……

Like · · Share · 31 · 25 minutes ago ·

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE