Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Los Potosinos in the KLD

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Los Potosinos in the KLD

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

We stopped in yesterday and had 2 tacos, a torta (sandwich with meat, cheese, avocado and various other toppings) and a cactus tostada for a total of $11.50, which happened to be all the money we were carrying right then. Everything was great and the lady who runs the shop –Lidia?– couldn’t have been nicer. We didn’t get the chicken, but we saw it being grilled and it looked and smelled incredible.

dirtgirl said:
    Is there anywhere to sit? Either tables/chairs or a park nearby?

We happened to run into John Watty (the property owner) and he said he is planning on bringing more chairs and tables to put out in the lot.

Anne said:
    There are a few benches at Zanzibar too which is just across from the Lincoln Theatre.

I’m not sure this is a good idea. Zanzibar is a restaurant too, and we don’t want to cause friction between them and Los Pos.

Twixlen
    Participant

At their old space on the westside, they had a long catering-style tent, and a couple of long tables. It would be awesome if they could get something like that going again.

I hope they’re busy there – and that they do really well. They are some of the nicest people you’ll meet, and take a lot of pride in the food they make. I need to get over there and see Lidia.

Today’s special (btw) is Ribs in Salsa Verde w potatoes & cactus, rice & beans, and tortillas; eggs w salsa de guajillo (red, lots of various smoked chilis) w rice/beans & tortillas… open 11-7pm!! GO HAVE LUNCH!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Twixlen said:
    I hope they’re busy there – and that they do really well.

I hope so too. The street closures due to highway construction have be worried that it limits access to the area for businesses, but hopefully all of the extra cars driving through making detours will give them some added exposure that they might not normally get. Not that many drivers are eager to stop in unfamiliar neighborhoods while frustrated at detours. ;)

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Today’s special (btw) is Ribs in Salsa Verde w potatoes & cactus, rice & beans, and tortillas; eggs w salsa de guajillo (red, lots of various smoked chilis) w rice/beans & tortillas… open 11-7pm!! GO HAVE LUNCH!

That sounds amazing!

dirtgirl
    Participant

lilbit said:
    You can also walk up to Mayme Moore park next to the King Arts Complex – it’s only a block away.

Thanks for the tip – a nearby park is ideal. My kids love eating at food trucks, but 3 year-olds aren’t especially good at eating standing up, nor at eating quickly, so making a picnic out of it is perfect.

Twixlen said:

Wait, is that two specials or one? Because it all sounds amazing, especially the eggs.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

That’s two separate specials.

I just had the ribs special, which was amazing and very generous portions. It was spicy but not too spicy, at least if you like hot food.

Since yesterday they’ve added a tent, tables and seating. But I was a bit disappointed to realize that I’d missed my chance at the Pollo al Carbon meal when I didn’t try it yesterday. I guess it’s too expensive/labor-intensive for them to make it regularly until they start building back up their customer base.

Just by coincidence I ran into SusanB over there. She was really happy to find out they will do most dishes vegetarian on request, and gave a big thumbs up to the cactus tostadas.

Twixlen
    Participant

They typically will only have the pollo al carbon on the weekends. Though it’d certainly be awesome if it were more often.

And for the veg thing, the beans won’t ever be veg, but a friend who’s veg would go, and there were always things for him to eat. They’re good about that stuff.

racheltb
    Participant

Vegetarians who don’t mind a little animal fat in their beans will love the enchiladas potosinos. Sweet pepper corn tortillas filled with cheese, fried, and served with avocado. Yum!

FoodFort
    Participant

Update: for this week May 7th to 13th (hours smay change next week)

11 to 7 pm each day (including Wednesday). They did not have many chicken sales over the past weekend so if you want to see pollo al carbon this weekend – let Potosinos know you will be there to buy or pre order on Thursday or Friday.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I think one of the reasons they didn’t have more chicken sales is that the side of the cart only lists the “whole chicken” option which is a bit expensive. Someone might want to suggest to them that they make it more clear you can also order by the piece.

drew
    Participant

Potosinos appears to be very happy with the business they’re getting in the new location. Just had the chicken… hot damn, it’s good.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

hope they still have some chicken tonight!!!

kkaiser
    Participant

I had the whole tilapia (you want it with the head on, trust me), and pollo al carbon dinner plate last night; sooo good and fairly priced. If anybody is in the neighborhood, you gotta check it out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

drew said:
    Potosinos appears to be very happy with the business they’re getting in the new location. Just had the chicken… hot damn, it’s good.

Good to hear! :D

Bear
    Participant

drew said:
    Just had the chicken… hot damn, it’s good.

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.