Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

looking for trail clean up opportunities

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion looking for trail clean up opportunities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

I run a hiking group and we are looking for opportunities to help w/ trail maintenance. I’m already looking into the metro parks but was wondering if anyone else has experience with other groups who’ve done this.

thanks

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

You can adopt your own area and clean up if you want.
    http://refuse.ci.columbus.oh.us/kcb/

You let them know when your clean up is, how much equipment you need, then go get it and return it.

Columbus Underground has cleanups along the I670 Bike Path between Cleveland Ave. and Joyce Ave. I will probably get the first one scheduled for April.

KCB has a couple of events coming up:
    Kick Butt Columbus
    Saturday, March 27, 2010
    8:30 AM – 1:00 PM

Plant Pride on Parsons
    Saturday, May 15, 2010
    9:00 AM – 1:00 PM

kcrissinger

The Friends of the Scioto River does a cleanup along the trail near the Greenlawn damn for Earth Day. You can get more information by viewing the calendar at our website[/url]

El Stonio

I just go out and do it. Usually on the Olentangy trail. Trimming and picking up trash. You have to be careful to not be a safety hazard.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

El Stonio wrote >>
    I just go out and do it. Usually on the Olentangy trail. Trimming and picking up trash. You have to be careful to not be a safety hazard.

Watch out with the trimming, the city parks rules prohibit damaging plants. I doubt you’d get in much trouble for trimming obstructions, but it’s still technically illegal. OTOH there’s nothing in the rules prohibiting the collection of litter.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

El Stonio

Thank you Alex. Right, just trimming stuff that hangs out over the path and is an obstacle to the normal flow of the path. The point is “gov’t” can’t do it all nor should they have to. Guerilla gardners unite!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

One of FOSR’s priorities is to encourage people to enjoy the riverside parks and bike trails. Toward that end, we cut a lot of honeysuckle that conceals illegal activity.

Honeysuckle can overgrow a bike trail or a road, this was Rivers Gate Way in Duranceaux Park before we cut:

There’s no way the parks workers could keep up with it all, they’re down to a skeleton staff already. It does fall to citizens to take up the task.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: