Our City Online

Messageboard - Classifieds

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Looking For Bubble Wrap to help Insulate Leaky Windows

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Classifieds Looking For Bubble Wrap to help Insulate Leaky Windows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

kamoysi
    Participant

Thanks for all your great ideas :-)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Should one of your renters ever have a toilet handle break…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s helpful responses, and then there’s not helpful responses.

More of the former if someone is asking for help. Thanks.

tdziemia
    Participant

I think an earlier poster mentioned ReStore (not restore). These are stores operated by Habitat for Humanity that sell recycled (and some new) building materials at highly discounted prices. They sometimes get donated new windows and sell them below even wholesale price. There is one in NE Columbus on Westerville Rd and one west of town on Wilson Rd. If you are going the do-it-yourself route, keep them in mind (I don’t think you’ll find bubble wrap there, but you will find things like caulk, and you benefit a great local charity when you buy there).

And if you’re looking to insulate small cracks, I suppose you can also consider styrofoam (as in pieces of coffee cups). Though I havent checked, it should have a much better R value than either cardboard, corrugated plastic or bubble wrap. Just think of how it insulates your fingers from hot coffee. For long continuous cracks, what about commercial weatherstripping? Even though not recycled, it’s prety economical compared to replacing windows…

Please also consider the comment made earlier that sometimes a small investment in a new, highly efficient material can save A LOT of energy, and hence be the greenest approach of all. It’s sort of like a “penny wise, pound follish” argument in environmental currency. If one tube of expandable urethane foam insulates 5 times better than buble wrap, you may do a far better service to the environment than recycling the bubble wrap.

kamoysi
    Participant

I have over 20 years experience with rehabbing historic properties. Have always lived in older homes. This is the first time my property is worth less than what I paid.I could go out and purchase new windows , insulation whatever I like.I don’t think you understand that properties are not holding their values. I have made mention I would love to sell below market rate to someone who can put their hard earned cash into window repairs. I hoped that sharing a tip of low cost weatherization maybe helpful to ones who are looking at saving money and lowering utility bills.

kamoysi
    Participant

By the way house is For Sale $85,000.00. I’ll throw in a bag or 2 of weather stripping.

derm
    derm
    Participant

On an actual positive note, here is some application information

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm

GCrites80s
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas about bubble wrap. I’m looking forward to putting some up on the bathroom window so that I don’t have to look at a boring closed white miniblind in the morning. I’ll be able to let some light in without making the neighbors look at my junk. And the window is kinda cold in the winter as well.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

What’s the address? You can post or PM it to me, I’ll make you an offer.

kamoysi
    Participant

Thanks Derm For Taking Me Serious. I have 2 boxes of recycled bubblewrap from a local retailer. They were thankful to have the wrap salvaged rather than throwing away.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘Classifieds’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION