Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Long Street Bridge Demolition & Reconstruction

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Long Street Bridge Demolition & Reconstruction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Email from ODOT:

Partial demolition of the Long Street Bridge begins at the end of March. But here’s the sweet play – Long Street won’t be closing!

We’ll keep you moving through the construction zone on Long Street, whether you’re driving, biking or walking.

Long Street will be under construction until 2013 and it’ll be great….but that’s another story.

More updates:

http://facebook.com/ODOT71670

http://twitter.com/ODOT71670

leftovers

Would it be done quicker/cheaper if they just tore it down and rebuilt it? Seems like this just adds to delays and overtime.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not sure.

Though with Long Street being one-way, it could have caused more problems/delays rerouting a lot of traffic and several bus lines to Broad.

There’s always a trade off.

leftovers

Agreed. I had not thought about the bus routes. That would probably have been a decent inconvenience for the regulars. I am not sure how full those routes get.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Email:
    Long Street Bridge Demolition Update

Work begins the week of April 2 on what will be the signature bridge of the Columbus Crossroads project — the Long Street Bridge.

Long Street will remain open during construction. It was originally anticipated the road would be closed for up to six months, but being mindful of the potential impacts on businesses and residents, the design-build team came up with a way to build the bridge, public space and cultural wall while keeping Long Street open. If something unplanned occurs, Long Street is only permitted to close for one week, and prior notification will be provided.

Please note that demolition will occur 24 hours a day starting Monday, April 2 through Friday, April 6. The bridge will be sawed in half lengthwise, then removed in segments by truck. While crews will do their best to keep noise to a minimum, expect the sounds of heavy machinery and trucks coming and going.

Here are the details:

• The traffic switch on Long Street is currently scheduled for Monday, April 2, start time is still to be determined.
    • From Monday night, April 2 through Friday night, April 6, there will be various lane closures on I-71 South and I-71 North to remove the fence and saw the bridge. Details of those lane closures are still being finalized and will be announced on Facebook and Twitter.
    • Demolition of the Long Street Bridge over I-71 South is currently scheduled for the week of April 9.
    • Demolition over I-71 North is currently scheduled for the week of April 16.

The Long Street Bridge is a signature bridge because it will feature a one-of-a-kind cultural wall on one side and a public space on the other.

If you’ve got questions about how we’re managing traffic in and around the I-71/670 Columbus Crossroads, it’s easy to get in touch with us by phone or e-mail:

Hotline: 1-877-381-7071
    [email protected]

mrpoppinzs

Does the stuff on the ‘cultural wall’ change or is it a set mural?

added:

found it….it will be a permanent black and white representation of either digital art or a photographic work by a bronzeville artist.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/71670/Documents/120207_Cultural%20Wall%20Call%20for%20Proposals.pdf

News
    Participant

Long St. bridge not long for this world
    By Robert Vitale
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Saturday April 7, 2012 10:14 AM

The Long Street bridge won’t be around much longer. Crews working on reconstruction of the I-71/670 interchange will start taking down the bridge over I-71 starting Monday, the Ohio Department of Transportation said.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/07/long-st–bridge-not-long-for-this-world.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There it goes!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Cultural wall designs coming tomorrow.

The two artists named as finalists to design a 240-foot wall on a new Long Street bridge over I-71 will present their ideas Thursday at 6 p.m. at the King Arts Complex, 867 Mount Vernon Ave.
    Kojo Kamau and Larry Winston Collins were chosen in May to offer more detailed designs for what’s dubbed as a cultural wall. It will pay homage to the history and culture of Columbus’ Near East Side, the longtime heart of the city’s black community.

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

ODOT Unveils Artwork Concepts for Long Street Cultural Wall
    Published on June 22, 2012
    By: Walker

The Ohio Department of Transportation held a public input meeting last night at the King Arts Complex to unveil the artist concepts for the Long Street Cultural Wall installation. The wall will be located on the south side of the new Long Street bridge that crosses over top of Interstate 71 and connects Downtown to the King Lincoln District.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/odot-unveils-artwork-concepts-for-long-street-cultural-wall

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Mr. Collins, sweet! I am so stoked about this project. Seems like it’s been a long time coming to bridge Columbus’ awesome black cultural heritage back to the main downtown area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: